Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To use 'Gotten' or not...

Options
  • 07-07-2019 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

What are your views on the use of the word 'Gotten'?

**See Poll above - it should be 'Gotten' instead of 'Cotten'(fixed)! **

'Got' or 'Gotten'? 11 votes

Got
    90% 10 votes
    Gotten
    9% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While on the face of it, gotten is the American alternative to got, it's not quite as clear-cut as that. I do not use 'gotten' but it does make sense and in the appropriate sentence is a better 'fit', the main objection is that it sounds 'American'. Someone else can explain past participles and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah it's that past participle favoured by Americans but it does come from Middle English and American English contains quite a few remnants of old forms and grammar. They also see a difference between the two, with gotten being this part participle and got is to do with possession.

EDIT: Here's a longish piece on the history of it!

https://stroppyeditor.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/the-us-has-gotten-this-word-back-and-the-uk-probably-will-too/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Alfred Ayres in The Verbalist (1881) agreed: “If we say eaten, written, striven, forgotten, why not say gotten, where this form of the participle is more euphonious – as it often is – than got?”

Quote from the link above, yes, agreed, and what I was vaguely thinking. I like that word euphonious, I should remember to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Curious Scot

**See Poll above - it should be 'Gotten' instead of 'Cotten'(fixed)! **

Thanks, Looksee!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement