Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Food & Craft Festival in Salthill Park

Options
  • 05-07-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Tickets €12.50 Students/seniors €10 Child 12 to 17 €7 (children under 12 free)

Parking in nearby Colaiste Einde €5

Anyone going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I didn’t realise you had to pay to get in. Thought it was more like a market. Im definitely not going now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'll be going tomorrow. Was given two tickets.

I think we’ve been a bit spoilt in Galway with so many events like this for free- for example Seafest had a food area with free entry and we’ve lovely markets and music on all the time for free. Would be interested to see if people think this is value for money. I’m not a big foodie but I would have popped in to see it if it was free entry and would probably have bought something while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What's your 25 for two adults get you? The privilege if spending more inside. Nah not for me, not when the likes of the Tiny Traders is there every week offering new and interesting options.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'll be going. I'm not going for the food though, I'm going for the craft beer. I don't think they would be able to sell craft beer at a free event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'll be going. I'm not going for the food though, I'm going for the craft beer. I don't think they would be able to sell craft beer at a free event.
    Bia Lover in Athenry and the Christmas market both had craft beers if I remember correctly.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    What breweries are there? There's a dearth of information on their website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Fairly impressive set up from the outside

Are there food stands or areas to eat in the venue eg food courts?
    Very little detail on the web as to whats on offer other than the chef demos

youngrun wrote: »
    Fairly impressive set up from the outside

Are there food stands or areas to eat in the venue eg food courts?
    Very little detail on the web as to whats on offer other than the chef demos
    They've a cupla photos up on FB. Looks like an indoor tent with vendors and I saw Handsome Burger and a couple of other familiar ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

buzz11 wrote:
    Tickets €12.50 Students/seniors €10 Child 12 to 17 €7 (children under 12 free)

buzz11 wrote:
    Parking in nearby Colaiste Einde €5

12 Euro. Is it like some kind of buffet? Eat anything you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Had a look around it this evening around 7.30pm - entry was FREE. The chef demos were over so maybe they allow free entry after those... or maybe the vendors put pressure on them as it was quiet inside.

The signs outside say €10 for adults (so don't buy the €12.50 website tickets!). We were walking up along the side for a look in and thankfully one of the security guards told us it was free entry now at the front gate.

Selection of food trucks - burgers, pizza, burritos, pork, poutine. In the big tent there were lots of small food, drink and craft businesses with stands. Some small samples, generally good quality offerings.

We tried the poutine (not Paddy's), will go for another look over the weekend and try something else but wouldn't pay €10 for entry.

They've reduced the ticket prices on the website, now €10 adult, €7 student/child/OAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Just looking thru the reviews on the FB page and I noticed a review from Martin O'Donnell who is the chef in the Twelve hotel and who also has a stand there and doing food demos. His glowing review was:

"fantastic food and great demonstrations by passionate chefs"

Posted 22nd June!!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Looks like they trying to create Galway version of taste of Dublin which has been on the go in iveagh gardens for past 10 years. They're really getting off on wrong foot with customers with their failure to mention tickets or cost of entry in any of their advertisements around the city. Seen numerous families walk away from entrance earlier today when down there and we were one of those. Ended up going down to Papa rich in salthill for dinner and and main courses there cheaper than entry cost.
    I would be raging with organisers if I was one of vendors demonstrating at event and I'm sure they paid a pretty penny to showcase there. Surely they knew the entry charge before they signed up to event.

mjp wrote: »
    Looks like they trying to create Galway version of taste of Dublin which has been on the go in iveagh gardens for past 10 years. They're really getting off on wrong foot with customers with their failure to mention tickets or cost of entry in any of their advertisements around the city. Seen numerous families walk away from entrance earlier today when down there and we were one of those. Ended up going down to Papa rich in salthill for dinner and and main courses there cheaper than entry cost.
    I would be raging with organisers if I was one of vendors demonstrating at event and I'm sure they paid a pretty penny to showcase there. Surely they knew the entry charge before they signed up to event.
    Just seems poorly run to me. Their website doesn't mention any of the vendors who are attending, just the 'celebrity' chefs.

I’ve seen two of the stalls with photos on Facebook - Galway 2020 volunteer recruitment and a local charity. Neither have anything to do with food or crafts.

Only heard about it as I saw them setting it up during the week when I was going to leisureland. I’d have assumed it was free too and would was considering going for a look but I’m not in Galway this weekend, I’d be rethinking going regardless after hearing it’s paid entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Would echo most comments here, we were looking forward to it but I can't understand why I'd pay in and then pay again at each stall, it's like paying an entrance fee to eyre square shopping centre??? Maybe if you got vouchers for the equivalent entrance fee to then spend at the stalls it might be worth it.

Going to stick with markets in town I think today where there is no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's competing with a Garden festival in Claregalway as well. Not very well thought out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Had a look around it this evening around 7.30pm - entry was FREE. The chef demos were over so maybe they allow free entry after those... or maybe the vendors put pressure on them as it was quiet inside.

The signs outside say €10 for adults (so don't buy the €12.50 website tickets!). We were walking up along the side for a look in and thankfully one of the security guards told us it was free entry now at the front gate.

Selection of food trucks - burgers, pizza, burritos, pork, poutine. In the big tent there were lots of small food, drink and craft businesses with stands. Some small samples, generally good quality offerings.

We tried the poutine (not Paddy's), will go for another look over the weekend and try something else but wouldn't pay €10 for entry.

Was that 'The Great Poutinei', do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

It isn't just a few food stalls though. I think the charge is due to the cooking demos, guest chefs, bouncy castle area etc. I think we are pretty spoiled with l our 'free to wonder around' stuff here. As a foodie I'm delighted to see this and I hope it works out for them (they can't be too happy about the weather so far today 😕).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Anyone been to the food and craft fair in salthill. Lots of giving out online about the entry fee. Thinking of going tomorrow but wondering if it's worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Is there no artisan food producers giving tasters like there is in Bloom?

Bredabe wrote: »
    Was that 'The Great Poutinei', do you know?

No it's Lala Poutine, I think they're mostly based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

€12.50 entry fee to the Food fair apparently. They can go and shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The organisers sold tickets to NUI Galway staff for €8 each on the basis the price of a full price ticket was €15! Yes, €8 was still a reduction on the actual entry cost of €10 but I imagine lots of people bought tickets in advance as they were misled into thinking they were getting almost 50% off. False advertising always leaves a bad taste :mad::(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I see on the food and craft festival on Facebook there is only praise for the event no negative comments 🀣🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I see on the food and craft festival on Facebook there is only praise for the event no negative comments 🀣🀣🀣🀣

Looks to be either 5 stars or 1 stars... Not sure which to believe.... Most recent one is https://www.facebook.com/100000218055171/posts/2793740687309839/
    Don't think this will be held next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The organisers sold tickets to NUI Galway staff for €8 each on the basis the price of a full price ticket was €15! Yes, €8 was still a reduction on the actual entry cost of €10 but I imagine lots of people bought tickets in advance as they were misled into thinking they were getting almost 50% off. False advertising always leaves a bad taste :mad::(.

When I first looked into it, approx. 2 weeks ago, regular tickets were €15 online and they were selling Early Bird tickets for €12.50. I think they realised that was too steep and lowered the price. I wonder if those (if any) who paid more got a refund?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if entry was free again this evening after the talks/demos?

Advertisement