Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Little Mermaid [Remake]

• 05-07-2019 4:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What, you think Disney wouldn't remake this one to live-action?

Only news so far on it is that Halle Bailey (no, not she of Monsters Ball) has been cast as the titular mermaid. And naturally, because it's 2019 sections of Twitter has gone into meltdown over the casting :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

pixelburp wrote: »
    What, you think Disney wouldn't remake this one to live-action?

Only news so far on it is that Halle Bailey (no, not she of Monsters Ball) has been cast as the titular mermaid. And naturally, because it's 2019 sections of Twitter has gone into meltdown over the casting :D

Why have they gone into meltdown? Because she's black?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why have they gone into meltdown? Because she's black?

Just checked Twatter. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From what I've read and it's all as foreigners looking in, most sites are making a bigger deal of the response on China's SM network weibo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am a little bit disappointed Arial isn't a red head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It shouldn't matter really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Is it the original version or the feminist retelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just checked Twatter. Yep.

For what its worth nobody has gone into meltdown about it bar a few random nobodies on twitter. The outrage in reaction to what is the lack of outrage is US culture wars in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Is it the original version or the feminist retelling?

so you're saying that any version of The Little Mermaid would be better than O'Neill's version :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I am a little bit disappointed Arial isn't a red head
    They did it with Annie, a few years back. They clearly have it in for redheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

silverharp wrote: »
    so you're saying that any version of The Little Mermaid would be better than O'Neill's version :pac:

Yes, Cathy, that's exactly what I'm saying! :p

It's one of the fairy tales Kiera Knightly won't let her young daughter watch:

Anyway, there'll never be a better mermaid than Daryl Hannah!!

CleverColossalKinkajou-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've said it in the Marvel threads but people are always going on about diversity yet no one seems to stand up for redheads, getting non redhead actors in their roles, usually getting actors to dye their hair. And like this and Annie, casting a black actress as Mary Jane.
    Justice for redheads!
    I think she was a redhead in Once Upon a Time.

Now to see the supposed backlash when they change the costume.

Anyway, I guess someone could point out the Disney movie isn't the original story. We'll see what happens in a few years when they cast for the live action Brave. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking as a red head, I neither want nor need anyone to stand up - or represent me. We're white, just like the rest and having a deviant hair colour isn't differentiation.

I just presume it's all retroactive. (white?) guilt over the "ginger" bullying of yore ;)

Besides, Halle Bailey can still be a redhead, darker skin tones wear brighter colours much better, be it clothing or hair colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've said it in the Marvel threads but people are always going on about diversity yet no one seems to stand up for redheads, getting non redhead actors in their roles, usually getting actors to dye their hair. And like this and Annie, casting a black actress as Mary Jane.
    Justice for redheads!
    I think she was a redhead in Once Upon a Time.

Now to see the supposed backlash when they change the costume.

Anyway, I guess someone could point out the Disney movie isn't the original story. We'll see what happens in a few years when they cast for the live action Brave. :)

Brave is Pixar though which was a mistake in my books it was more Disney than Pixer and Wreck It Ralph that should have been Pixar. Live Action versions of Pixar films probably might happen at some point though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Speaking as a red head, I neither want nor need anyone to stand up - or represent me. We're white, just like the rest and having a deviant hair colour isn't differentiation.

I just presume it's all retroactive. (white?) guilt over the "ginger" bullying of yore ;)

Besides, Halle Bailey can still be a redhead, darker skin tones wear brighter colours much better, be it clothing or hair colour :)

Nah, just selfishness on my part. Redhead actresses are a good thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My favourite redhead actress is Diana Rigg

Advertisement