Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I give athletics a go?

• 05-07-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Recently my local Gaa team brought in the special GPS vests. After a couple sessions with it on my highest speed is 33.5km/h. I am 18 and hope to improve on this as and after doing research online it seems to be up there with most professional soccer athletes. Although using this speed as template to build on would I be able to go far in the athletics world in particular 60m, 100m and 200m runs? I would just like to know becuase if I did take up athletics I want it to be worthwhile.Btw this too speed was picked up on a 80m run if I'm correct so I may not of been at full pelt. For those of you who are knowledgeable in this field your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Recently my local Gaa team brought in the special GPS vests. After a couple sessions with it on my highest speed is 33.5km/h. I am 18 and hope to improve on this as and after doing research online it seems to be up there with most professional soccer athletes. Although using this speed as template to build on would I be able to go far in the athletics world in particular 60m, 100m and 200m runs? I would just like to know becuase if I did take up athletics I want it to be worthwhile.Btw this too speed was picked up on a 80m run if I'm correct so I may not of been at full pelt. For those of you who are knowledgeable in this field your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

The problem with those measurements is that it is peak speed rather than average so while may seem impressive the soccer lads tend to fudge the figures.

When the compare to Usain Bolt for example (as so many do) they use his average speed over 100m which includes start and drive phase.

Could you be good? Possibly but the GPS reading wouldn’t be a reliable measurement in that regard.

Would be worth getting down to your local track and time trial to give you a better idea but it is not an easy road to go down and self drive is needed to reach top levels moreso than the idea of talent getting you there solely at 18 technique would take a lot of refining I would imagine given lack of formal training to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

GPS is not that accurate over slower distances. If you want a proper benchmark, you should do a timed time-trial on a track or at an open meeting. Maybe go to your local athletics club and ask for some guidance, I'm sure they'd love to have a young talented runner show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

YES!!!

Definitely give it a shot, but not absolutely because of that GPS reading. Find your nearest club, and give it a shot. Life is too short not to try everything. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do you have a passion for athletics?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

I never tried so I'm not really sure but, I do know my favourite part of playing G.A.A is the athletic part like trekking up and down the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

To be fair some of the top end gps units are quite accurate for top end speed achieved over a 1second interval, they are not the typical garmin. There are research papers comparing them with laser gates and/or radar to measure fly times and generally they are accurate.

It is valid enough for OP to compare his gps speed to soccer players' gps speed as they are using the same type of equipment.

It isn't a true comparison to running a 100 though and it is ridiculous when these comparisons to Bolt or any elites athletes are made.
    In last world championships all the males in the final went 41.9 to 42.9 km/h.
    The females were 38 high to 39.1 km/h.

33.5 Km/h is 9.31m/s or covering a 10m segment in 1.07s.
    A very rough guide I've seen is (1.07x10) and add 1 to 1.5s for acceleration/deceleration.
    So you might run 11.7 to 12.2, probably closer to 12.2 based on my experience. Which probably doesn't sound too impressive if you have limited knowledge of athletics but it is a good starting point.

With training, on a track and fresh that could improve a lot, you are young. Also if you enjoy the trekking up and down the field work, with that type of speed you could be made for middle distance.

Only way to find out is to head to the club, most clubs would be happy to gain members your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,556 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Over 100 I'd say your average is 30 kph or slightly less.....pretty decent.

And for GAA these sprints are vital for the game....power/ explosiveness and speed-endurance.

Focusing on 200-400 and 800 would be the main!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Why not try and out and see how you like it?

You also might find out that your ideal event/distance is not the one you think it is now. You might think you'd be a competitive sprinter but end up being an 800m or 5km guy instead.

If it's not for you then you can at least say you've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The advantage of an athletic track and doing a time trial on it as people above are mentioning is the distance is known - 400m around it always. If however you don't live near a track you can try a GAA pitch.

Problem is all GAA pitches are different in size and can vary quiet a lot. Do you know the dimensions of your pitch? If so do a flat out lap around it either before or after your next training session and tell us the time. Get two or three teammates to run with you. Nothing makes you go faster than a bit of friendly competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

To be fair some of the top end gps units are quite accurate for top end speed achieved over a 1second interval, they are not the typical garmin. There are research papers comparing them with laser gates and/or radar to measure fly times and generally they are accurate.

It is valid enough for OP to compare his gps speed to soccer players' gps speed as they are using the same type of equipment.
    The bolded part is the important bit. The "top end" systems use locally installed sensors, they don't just rely on satellite signals. The lower end systems (and given it's a local GAA club, I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) that only have GPS are much less accurate.

OP, if you want to find out how fast you can run 100m (or 60m or 200m), do a (properly-timed) race. Anything else is meaningless speculation

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Yeah am just wondering though am I a bit late starting at 18 though. For example if u started at 18 in Gaa you'd have a lot to learn, would the same apply in athletics especially in regards to technique etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What do you mean about wanting it to be worthwhile? What’s the barometer here for what’s worthwhile and what’s a waste of time?

I think you need to take up sprinting for the right reasons (enjoyment, self-improvement, excitement of competition etc). If you’re taking it up because you think (based on dodgey GPS max speed readings) you might make the Irish team then you’ll almost certainly be disappointed. This is not an easy sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He's an 18 year old asking for advice.....he has pretty much recognised it's not an easy sport.

Give a brother a break!

It sounds like he wants to know if the readings he is getting represent at least a degree of promise, seems pretty reasonable question to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Yeah am just wondering though am I a bit late starting at 18 though. For example if u started at 18 in Gaa you'd have a lot to learn, would the same apply in athletics especially in regards to technique etc.?

I have seen people take up the sport at your age and get to international standard and breaking Irish records so anything is possible.

Technique definitely comes into play but like anything can be developed with work and good coach can be worth years of practice.

ligerdub wrote: »
    He's an 18 year old asking for advice.....he has pretty much recognised it's not an easy sport.

Give a brother a break!

It sounds like he wants to know if the readings he is getting represent at least a degree of promise, seems pretty reasonable question to me.

Fair enough.

My opinion is go into it for the right reasons and you’re far more likely to do well.

OP, best thing is to join up with a sprint group to try it out. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Absolutely no knowledge to give you,,except to just give it a go and see...You definitely have speed, whether or not it might lead somewhere is unknown until tested, but unless there is a strong reason NOT to give it a go, then 100% you should try it...You're young enough, you've got some kinda speed/talent, and mostly you said you enjoy running up and down the pitch, so just do it!!!...
    ...Stuck this thread in my followed, would be great to see even something small come from it...

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

My opinion is go into it for the right reasons and you’re far more likely to do well.

OP, best thing is to join up with a sprint group to try it out. Where are you based?

North West so not sure should I join a local club in my area or wait and join a club when I go to college..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Bazman was an occasional poster here. He was primarily a GAA player, who enjoyed mountain running as a second sport. After his team was relegated he decided to concentrate more on running than GAA. I'd say he was around mid-thirties age wise at that point. He went from being a top-ten finisher in hill races to winning by huge margins, and running for Ireland. He also ran around 2:18 for the marathon (and impressive times in many distances, winning several national championship medals). So it turned out he was a top class runner.

So... go for it.

North West so not sure should I join a local club in my area or wait and join a club when I go to college..

Don’t put off to tomorrow what you can do today.

You can always change clubs when you go to college. Or you can stay with your local club but train with the college sprint group. Many do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/find-a-club/

You don't really need to join a club outright. If you drop them an email, they'll usually let you come along and train with the group. Not all clubs will have access to a track, so something to be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

These north west clubs all have track facilities and probably some sprint groups too at an U18/U20/Senior level.
    Finn Valley (Ballybofey)
    Lifford/Strabane AC
    Letterkenny AC
    Tir Chonaill AC (Dongeal Town)
    Sligo AC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Try it out and see if you enjoy it. Enjoying it is the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,556 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Enjoying it is the most important part.

And hardest part....one of sport's toughest disciplines is track.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If you're in North West get in contact with Dermot McDermott. If you search Believe & Achieve on Facebook you'll find him. He's one of the best coaches for developing athletes in the country.

Advertisement