Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 - Cahir to Limerick Junction [design and planning underway]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

marno21 wrote: »
    Transport21 is no longer Government policy, the National Development Plan 2018-2027 is. The NDP (and the associated investment framework) specifies the N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction scheme, and the 2018-2022 funding provides for the scheme to be advanced through planning & design over that period.

Does anyone know how this kind of timeframe compares with other countries? It seems quite a long time to me, potentially 3 years, before a sod is even turned, just for design/planning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

tails_naf wrote: »
    Does anyone know how this kind of timeframe compares with other countries? It seems quite a long time to me, potentially 3 years, before a sod is even turned, just for design/planning.

And after design/planning you have to wait at least another year for it to go to tender for construction. And that's if the money is actually available.....

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

I heard phases 1 to 4 are out to tender and they hope to have it tendered Q4 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

steeler j wrote: »
    I heard phases 1 to 4 are out to tender and they hope to have it tendered Q4 this year

Not quite what was said on Tipp FM but close

https://tippfm.com/news/road-safety/progress-n24-development-welcomed/

Limerick74 wrote: »

I only heard it from a politician and they always make it sound better 😁😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I only heard it from a politician and they always make it sound better ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚

What stretch of the road are they talking about?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What stretch of the road are they talking about?
    N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction

An inner relief road in Tipperary town is being talked about,any opinions on what will this do to the bigger project cahir to Limerick junction

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

An inner relief road in Tipperary town is being talked about,any opinions on what will this do to the bigger project cahir to Limerick junction

Probably give them an excuse to delay it even further...sigh. It’ll take hustvas long to progress a new relief road from scratch anyway

road_high wrote: »
    Probably give them an excuse to delay it even further...sigh. It’ll take hustvas long to progress a new relief road from scratch anyway

That's what locals are worried about a excuse to put off the real bypass,they tried years ago for a relief road but it was very badly thought out plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

Timescales for this seem way off.

Route selection hasn't even begun, never mind agreed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Current timescales for projects like this are 8-13 years, however nothing has been done on this project to date.

Open to correction but Phases 1-4 haven't been tendered on this yet.

It's one of three projects in the NDP which haven't been tendered yet for Phases 1-4 (everything has moved bar the two N24 schemes and the M50 South Port Access).

Hopefully it will be tendered soon ,the timescale seems optimistic for it to be done by

Likely to be tendered using TII Framework so not visible on etenders.

Great news 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Great news 😃
    Yep I agree but this is only for the design. It'll be many years I suspect before we get to the build stage!

Jayuu wrote: »
    Yep I agree but this is only for the design. It'll be many years I suspect before we get to the build stage!

Wasn’t it already designed pre downturn and then all thrown in the bin after?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

€5 Million seems very high.

N4 Mullingar to Longford (Roosky) was awarded for €5 Million and that was a 50km scheme

• Advertisement

€5 Million seems very high.

N4 Mullingar to Longford (Roosky) was awarded for €5 Million and that was a 50km scheme

I was thinking that myself

Would be surprised if it finished at Limerick Junction. Why not take it to Ballysimon Junction in Limerick?

Would be surprised if it finished at Limerick Junction. Why not take it to Ballysimon Junction in Limerick?

Probably doing what they can realistically get funding for....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

Cost I imagine but why not Pallas or Oola even and avoid another village

It might finish Limerick side of monard,lots of obstacles around the Limerick junction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Does this move anything forward on the Waterford to Cahir dual carriageway or are they considered to be completely separate?

Does this move anything forward on the Waterford to Cahir dual carriageway or are they considered to be completely separate?

Not really. I'd say that's way down the priority list and they are looking at doing the worst section first/if at all. That section has had various upgrades in places, but west of Cahir nothing was ever done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Completely separate. To my knowledge tenders haven't been issued for Waterford-Cahir yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

marno21 wrote: »
    Completely separate. To my knowledge tenders haven't been issued for Waterford-Cahir yet.

Surely it would make more sense to do a dual carriageway the whole way between the two cities of Limerick and Waterford than this piece-meal patch up job?

• Advertisement

Surely it would make more sense to do a dual carriageway the whole way between the two cities of Limerick and Waterford than this piece-meal patch up job?

It would be desirable but when funding is limited you’ve got to take what comes along. To get a new road built between Cahir and beyond Tipperary would be an enormous step forward from what’s currently there

Advertisement