Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wouldn't have too many issues with the tour setlist to be honest, along with the new stuff there's one song in there I've yet to see them perform live. I think Bottom is the only song I'd love to have the opportunity of seeing live and looks like they haven't played that in the past 20 years. :|

If you're looking for a retrospective setlist then there's no better time to see the band. A post new album tour would usually consist of ~7 new songs with little room for some of the classics let a long a few deep cuts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Wouldn't have too many issues with the tour setlist to be honest, along with the new stuff there's one song in there I've yet to see them perform live. I think Bottom is the only song I'd love to have the opportunity of seeing live and looks like they haven't played that in the past 20 years. :|

If you're looking for a retrospective setlist then there's no better time to see the band. A post new album tour would usually consist of ~7 new songs with little room for some of the classics let a long a few deep cuts.

Exactly why I'm glad I'll be seeing them soon, it's been so many years and I want the same gig again tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

They bossed Download tonight, it was epic in the extreme!!

I can’t believe how good they were tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

They were amazing last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Recently listened to a few tracks of theres. Amazing but sad there not in spotify

The pot is an amazing song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Recently listened to a few tracks of theres. Amazing but sad there not in spotify

I reckon by the time the new album comes along they'll have found their way to streaming services. The music industry has moved on a lot since their last release.

If you are starting off in you can't put a foot wrong with Aenima and Lateralus, two cast iron classic albums from front to back and I've always had a soft spot for some of the stuff off Salival, particularly their amazing cover of No Quarter -

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Going to see them at Rock Werchter in a couple of weeks, can’t wait! Haven’t seen them since Ozzfest in Punchestown in 2002.

Is it a given that Aenima and Lateralus are on another level altogether or are there fans who were first introduced to Tool via 10,000 Days and rate that album equally as high?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm with them from the start (well near enough, over 20 years as my favourite band) and rate 10,000 days as highly. As an album altogether it's a masterpiece imo. It's not an unpopular opinion really either from reading forums.

Yeah there's plenty of people that got into them from that album, just depends on their age or what they heard first. Just the other day I showed somebody songs from each and their favourite were from 10,000 days, I definitely think it is more accessible to somebody that isn't into metal/rock etc as much too.

PTH2009 wrote: »

They have a profile on Spotify, just no songs for now. It was recently added so I reckon they will be on Spotify before the end of the year!

Aenima is a monster of an album,its the album that got me into Tool back in the mid/late 90's.

Lateralus is a great album too. 10K days was a tough listen at the start but does have some great tunes, I really should go back and listen to it some more.

I love the Salival version of Pu****, epic!

• Advertisement

I'm with them from the start (well near enough, over 20 years as my favourite band) and rate 10,000 days as highly. As an album altogether it's a masterpiece imo. It's not an unpopular opinion really either from reading forums.

Yeah there's plenty of people that got into them from that album, just depends on their age or what they heard first. Just the other day I showed somebody songs from each and their favourite were from 10,000 days, I definitely think it is more accessible to somebody that isn't into metal/rock etc as much too.
    That's interesting and exactly what I was wondering. I've never considered 10,000 Days to be a poor album in any way but it just had nowhere near the same impact that the previous two albums had. I'm not sure if it's purely down to my age when these albums were released, my fondness for Tool and similar bands at the time of release or whether 10,000 days simply isn't as good as what came before it.

Doesn't help that I rate Latetalus extremely highly even though a lot of music I listen to isn't too similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Left school in 1994 and one of my abiding memories of that time is listening to Undertow on repeat. The Henry Rollins cameo on Bottom and 4 degrees being particular hilights for me. Been listening to them ever since.

For me Lateralus is, and i don't say this lightly, One of the greatest metal tracks ever written.

The Album 10,000 days is as good as anything they've ever produced with the title track being a particular high point for me. I remember sitting on a beach in Thailand on my honeymoon listening to that track and tripping out ( At least i think it was the music):pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

10,000 days is definitely underrated. I actually think it's maybe less accessible than the previous albums? Well I suppose specifically the second half of the album is, and is overlooked because of that. The two "Wings" tracks have to rank up there as one of the best musical passages across Tool's discography.

For me, 10000 days, isn't on par with Aenima and Lateralus.

That isn't to say it's a bad album, some of it is excellent.

Wings for Marie is up there with the very best of anything they've put out; Jambi is pretty good; The Pot is interesting and a bit a-typical for a Tool song and there's cool passages and ideas in most of the other tracks too.

But, for me, they didn't really do anything remarkably new in that album. I've always just found Vicarious to be merely alright, some cool parts for sure, but the song as a whole has never grabbed me. Rosetta Stoned comes a distant second for me to Third Eye in their competition for best thirteen minute plus drug fuelled epic. And, honestly, Right in Two and Intension have always struck me as slightly like Tool by the numbers.

I thought they were beginning to repeat themselves just a little by the time of 10000 days: some of the riffs felt familiar and a lot of Maynard's lyrics were rehashes of the usual: voyeurism, insensitivity, humanity being a bit thick etc, etc. Though, I was older when I heard 10000 days, so I was a bit less awestruck by then, when it came to Maynard's pronouncements, than I was when I heard them first as a teenager.

I don't hate the record or anything, but I rarely go back and listen to much of it these days, apart from Wings, which is amazing.

100% agree with all off the above, wasn't sure if that opinion lined up with the general consensus or not. Wings along with been a cracking bit of song writing felt slightly removed from anything the band had done before. It's the only material from the album that would find it's way onto any sort of "Best of" Playlist I'd ever create.

Also agree about the earlier comment about the song Lateralus. It's up there with my favourite song from any genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Maynard James Keenan: The Art of Work: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLANorT3Y7McMKzxqTw8u8ykq3pe_6A0Tn

An impressive guy

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Watched some of the Tool live at download, don't get it, boring as **** , i would gladly give away my 3 tool albums if someone paid postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Watched some of the Tool live at download, don't get it, boring as **** , i would gladly give away my 3 tool albums if someone paid postage.

I think you may have set up your new account to troll people?

I have a few copies of their albums, but their stuff sounds very dated at this stage. Not crap, just dated, and they are good musicians in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

no not crap just boring sorry

Saw them in Lisbon the other day, AMAZING! Great place to have it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Saw them in Lisbon the other day, AMAZING! Great place to have it too.

Same. Only back in Ireland this afternoon. Absolutely incredible gig and one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to. Perhaps a bit too many people smoking inside the arena but didn't put a dampener on anything.

The second new tune they played was fuggin great.

Is their stuff dated? I find it difficult to tell what sounds of it's time and what feels timeless and I feel Tool falls into the latter category. But I guess it can be difficult to identify something as dated when you consumed it when it was originally released.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is their stuff dated? I find it difficult to tell what sounds of it's time and what feels timeless and I feel Tool falls into the latter category. But I guess it can be difficult to identify something as dated when you consumed it when it was originally released.

aint that the beauty of it...

Same. Only back in Ireland this afternoon. Absolutely incredible gig and one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to. Perhaps a bit too many people smoking inside the arena but didn't put a dampener on anything.

The second new tune they played was fuggin great.

yeah Lisbon was surprisingly amazing, never knew anything about it. happily walked around it for days without wanting to do anything else, so cool.

Hated the smoking in there but didnt take away too much, was class! Crowd were much tamer than they would be here though haha. Golden circle was so worth it.

yeah invincible is amazing! Love it. The first new on descending or whatever was more like an experience, with the crazy visuals/pyramid etc, very cool.

Full catalogue going on streaming/digital services on Friday

New album has a title too.

Fear Inoculum.

Doubtful but would love an Irish tour date in 2020

Band has really grown on me great sound

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a visit here in the next 12/18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Was also hopeful of news of them re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl, as they mentioned it a year or two ago, but no dice. Yet.

Advertisement