Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    Bilva could be an absolute steal if he continues as he has done.

He is dearer than he was last year is he not? And he didnt represent too much value as a player taking up a city slot!!!!
    KDB is only 1.5 more.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    He is dearer than he was last year is he not? And he didnt represent too much value as a player taking up a city slot!!!!
    KDB is only 1.5 more.......

Meant to say something like if he continues to improve and cobtinues to become a more instrumental part of City's attack. Think he's a player who will come on again this year. Was very impressed with him as the season went on.

Wouldn't fancy KDB at 1.5m more if Pep plays him as deep as he did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rikand wrote: »
    No Salah

5-3-2

Edersen (McGovern)
    DRAWL
    Sterling Richarlison Fraser (Kouyate Drinkwater)
    JOTA FunBobby (Long)

Drinkwater in the hope he might get a move away from chelsea

Digne
    Robertson
    Alexander-Arnold
    Wan-Bissaka
    Laporte

DRAWL

AWB...i just don't see the appeal. Why Ricky over Siggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AWB...i just don't see the appeal. Why Ricky over Siggy?

Ricky has been a fast starter the last two seasons, so hoping to catch that early start again

AWB is me leaving in the past. I'm tempted to change him to an Ake who I have wanted to own for 2 seasons now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

As Kompany has parted Kompany (grroooan) with city surely the clever money is on either Stones or Otimendi at 1m cheaper than Laporte right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As Kompany has parted Kompany (grroooan) with city surely the clever money is on either Stones or Otimendi at 1m cheaper than Laporte right.

Harry Maguire most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Guys, over on the games forum they run a game called sheep, basically asking questions like Whats your favourite colour? 10 people answer, five say red, those people get 5 points, three say green, they get 3 points and two say blue and get 2 points. The idea is to get the most popular answer.
    I'm running one on soccer plays, 10 clubs, name a player past or present, feel free to enter

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992216&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Craig Dawson has joined Watford.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Won't take this too seriously til later in the month, but tried to make a draft team there and found it quite tough. As always, the cut price bargains will be key.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

First draft

Ryan/Button
    Robertson Laporte TAA A.Smith Kelly
    Salah Sterling Zaha Sigurrdson Dendoncker
    Jota King Long

I haven’t given much thought to the GKs yet. At the back, Robertson and Laporte are definites. I might switch out TAA for VVD for the 0.5 saving. Smith and Kelly might change.

Fairly happy with the mids. Salah and Sterling gives a good captain option each week. Decent opening fixtures for Sigurrdson. Interesting to see if Zaha racks up more points this year as a mid. Dendoncker should get some game time.

Happy with Jota and King up front. I think for the 2.5 mil saving over Jiminez and Wilson is worth it. Not much to say about Long really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Cartman78

thunderdog wrote: »
    First draft

Ryan/Button
    Robertson Laporte TAA A.Smith Kelly
    Salah Sterling Zaha Sigurrdson Dendoncker
    Jota King Long

I haven’t given much thought to the GKs yet. At the back, Robertson and Laporte are definites. I might switch out TAA for VVD for the 0.5 saving. Smith and Kelly might change.

Fairly happy with the mids. Salah and Sterling gives a good captain option each week. Decent opening fixtures for Sigurrdson. Interesting to see if Zaha racks up more points this year as a mid. Dendoncker should get some game time.

Happy with Jota and King up front. I think for the 2.5 mil saving over Jiminez and Wilson is worth it. Not much to say about Long really...

Southampton signed a striker today (Che Adams) so it could be a short season for Long

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Southampton signed a striker today (Che Adams) so it could be a short season for Long

They officially signed Danny Ings today as well. Not that it makes any difference to last year/Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Ryan Button
    TAA Robertson Laporte Digne Kelly
    Fraser Salah Redmond Bernardo Hayden
    Vardy Jota King

Not seeing much love for vardy on here?

A lot of chatter that united are moving in on maguire
    That would make their defenders more desirable as a whole imo
    If he went to city on the other hand he would be an absolute must have at his price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

km79 wrote:
    A lot of chatter that united are moving in on maguire That would make their defenders more desirable as a whole imo If he went to city on the other hand he would be an absolute must have at his price

Would it really,? i personally will not be touching a utd def,coz Ollys at the wheel and i do not think hes near good nuf to sort it out

first draft done

siggy plus14 others
    HEWT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

manual_man wrote: »
    Mexico through to Gold Cup semis where they'll play Haiti(should be an easy win). Gonna be a late arrival to preseason for Jimenez.

Mexico through to the final now btw after again playing extra time. Jimenez is gonna be knackered. He scored the winner from the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Jota it is

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Jota it is
    their fixtures are stink though
    And Europa
    And second season syndrome

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

patmac wrote: »
    All the money being spent on defences, might have been good last year, but with VAR this year I’m going to spend money elsewhere.
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    Given that this year we have VAR - I would have thought having the likes of Milivojevic/King etc would have been in most teams, given the amount of penalties that they should be getting. Decent value players who should have above average chance of scoring goals.

The quotes above are from the RMT thread - quoted to here as I don't want to drag it off topic.

I think some people are putting too much stock into VAR.

For every penalty that is given, there will also be some taken away as has been seen in other leagues that have been using VAR already.

LA LIGA
    Penalties awarded season before VAR: 113
    Penalties awarded season after VAR: 128
    SERIE A
    Penalties awarded season before VAR: 137
    Penalties awarded season after VAR: 126
    BUNDESLIGA
    Penalties awarded season before VAR: 98
    Penalties awarded season after VAR: 93

https://www.fantasybet.com/blog/var-penalty-takers-fpl/
    But when The Economist looked at the six countries that have introduced the VAR system for all games in their domestic leagues—Germany, Italy, Portugal, America, Australia and South Korea—we found no evidence of a spike in penalties. That suggests that for every extra spot kick that the VAR has spotted, there is another that he has cancelled.
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/06/25/var-increases-refereeing-accuracy-but-not-the-total-penalty-count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, saw that. I think there’ll still be a small spike in English football due to how the game is refereed. Refs often wait to see a fullon assault before giving anything so I think VAR may force some into action.

I think there’ll be an increase in penalties awarded this season and especially early on in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

There will be a lot of penalties given because of the new handball law...unless someone sees sense and pulls back a bit after the Women’s WC.

The new law is horrible for defenders, and will lead to a lot of ‘soft’ penalties being awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Green&Red wrote: »
    Guys, over on the games forum they run a game called sheep, basically asking questions like Whats your favourite colour? 10 people answer, five say red, those people get 5 points, three say green, they get 3 points and two say blue and get 2 points. The idea is to get the most popular answer.
    I'm running one on soccer plays, 10 clubs, name a player past or present, feel free to enter

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992216&page=3
    Last chance to enter this today

Like every new rule we will prob see a big crackdown at the start
    I currently have king and Milo
    However if zaha leaves then that lessens Milos appeal and he will prob then become zaha !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Do people think Joe Gomez will be first choice partner for VVD this season? If so, he could offer good value as part of double Liverpool defence. I am assuming that everyone will have either TAA or Robbo and will be looking at a second Liverpool defence. If going with Gomez plus 2 x 4.5 rotating keepers, that's 14.5 spent on three players. Going with Alisson as keeper plus 4.0 bench fodder, you then have to go with another cheap defender for the same price.

The first scenario means all three are starting options each week while the second only gives you one starter each week (Alisson) plus a rotation defender and a bench warmer keeper. If I knew Gomez would be first choice, I'd be leaning towards him plus 2 x 4.5 rotating keepers. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Do people think Joe Gomez will be first choice partner for VVD this season? If so, he could offer good value as part of double Liverpool defence.
    That's a great shout, for some reason I never even considered him.

Away to tinker with the extra odd million possibilities.

Interesting
    He would shoot up on price too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Can't see him playing week in week out

• Advertisement

Can we make a Cavan joke? Great penny pinching Peter

Advertisement