Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fandom up for grabs

• 17-06-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello all,
    I am an American who just started hurling in the States a little over a year ago. As you can imagine, I immediately fell in love with the sport.

I’ve been watching as much Senior hurling as I can get here, as well as some football, but I haven’t picked a team. I thought it would be fun to post here and see if anyone could help me with my decision.

It would be easy if I knew where my Irish ancestors were from, but I have no idea. I do know that we have the surname O’Brien in our family, but that doesn’t really narrow it down, does it?

Here’s what I’ve been thinking so far. The obvious choice for me would be Cork. The reason is that the club I play for in Denver was founded by a couple of guys from Cork, so we have Cork colors, but guys on our team support a lot of different Irish clubs, not just Cork.

I really do like the way Limerick plays, and I love the green jerseys, but I’m worried I would just be picking the current hurling champs.

I also like the way Galway and Clare play (especially Peter Duggan, amazing what he can do in traffic).

Kilkenny obviously has a proud tradition, but I’m not sure I look good in stripes. They are also the same colors as the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL here, and I’m not a fan of the black and gold.

On my first visit to Ireland, I somehow bought a Dublin jersey, and do like the blues.

Lastly I have a friend in my USGAA club who is from Mayo and has been pulling hard for me to join him...not much for hurling though right?

I’d love to hear what others think. When I become a fan, it’s forever, so I don’t take the decision lightly, and this is a serious request.
    Thanks,
    Paul

PS: I’m happy to help if anyone has the same questions about NFL teams here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well if you want a team that will get a good run in both league and championship every year you probably will have to look at Kilkenny Tipperary or Cork. But then Limerick are going to be around for a while, Wexford will always go down fighting or pull off a win against the odds. Leave Galway alone, they believe their own propaganda too much. Dublin will find it hard to break into the top four positions.
    Limerick for the passion, speed and potential would be my choice.

I met a group of Denver police, firemen and Forestry officials from the Emerald Society a few years ago in Dublin and was amazed to hear of the Irish activities there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Pjkdenver wrote: »
    On my first visit to Ireland, I somehow bought a Dublin jersey, and do like the blues.

Hello. You already have the jersey so it would be only natural to support the Dubs!
    Also, I live around County Dublin and there's lots of O'Briens out this way :)

Up the Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fermanagh hurlers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oooooooh wouldn't it be wonderful to be just able to pick your team and not feel the heartache and despair when they let you down again and again. Why not pick a team every year and change if a particular team do something that impresses you or has a player with the same name as you or whatever.

Personally, at the moment I'm a Patriots fan because they are Boston and their main player has an Irish name but back in the 80s I was a Bears fan because my aunt lived in Chicago and sent me over a jersey. When the GOAT retires I might relook at my allegiances but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dublin. They'll be starting a 5 in a row in 2020, just in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pjkdenver

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm hearing Limerick or Dublin come through and I like both options. Anyone else want to sway my decision?

Edgware, I'm so thankful for the Denver Gaels, a great club and love the chances to connect around Irish activities.

Clareman, I definitely can't switch that easy. Part of being a fan includes being let down again and again for me (not that I'm looking for that straightaway). A number of years ago, I had the chance to go to a Premier League game and Fulham became my team. I'm still a Fulham fan even after relegation (twice).

On the NFL note, when Brady retires, so will Belichick, and you can get ready for decades of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

O brien surname roots are Clare.... just be prepared for alot of pain/hurt if you choose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Clare all the way. O'Brien is a Clare name so no choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

Taking my Limerick hat off but go for Waterford; there may be a bit of pain along the way but it will all be worth it when they finally do make that break through.

For similar reasons follow Mayo in the football!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Taking my Limerick hat off but go for Waterford; there may be a bit of pain along the way but it will all be worth it when they finally do make that break through.

For similar reasons follow Mayo in the football!
    Would he be able to afford the numerous sessions of therapy that following Mayo would require?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Edgware wrote: »
    Well if you want a team that will get a good run in both league and championship every year you probably will have to look at Kilkenny Tipperary or Cork. But then Limerick are going to be around for a while, Wexford will always go down fighting or pull off a win against the odds. Leave Galway alone, they believe their own propaganda too much. Dublin will find it hard to break into the top four positions.
    Limerick for the passion, speed and potential would be my choice.

I met a group of Denver police, firemen and Forestry officials from the Emerald Society a few years ago in Dublin and was amazed to hear of the Irish activities there.

What propaganda do Galway believe in? Cork good run in league and championship? Victories lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Put all the teams into a hat. Good bad and indifferent. Close eyes and pull out your people for ever more.

You don't get to pick. None of us do.

I had done some research before and it was never clear to me that O’Brien was associated with a specific county. It looks like it really is Clare, so unless that is inaccurate, I don’t think I have a choice. It’s going to be Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Hurling is your sport so that straight away should bring your list down from 32 to about 14. Living in America you need a team you can watch on tv seeing as you won't make it to many games.

That probably means taking out some counties with great hurling areas like Westmeath, Laois, Offaly, Kerry, Antrim and Carlow.

Now on top of that don't support Kilkenny, Tipperary or Cork. I mean these are the big three. I know Cork have been in the doldrums these past 14 years but you can be sure sooner or later they'll be back on top winning more titles. Supporting any of these three is basically like becoming a Manchester City or Barcalona fan. Basically guranteeing yourself success every few years.

That leaves the following

Dublin
    Clare
    Waterford
    Limerick
    Galway
    Wexford

As a Galway man I'd say go with us but honestly any of those are suitable.

They are in the group of teams who on their day could beat anyone and with a bit of luck all could win an All Ireland in the not too distant future or on the other hand may not win one for the next 50 years! You just don't know but you'll be guaranteed lots of ups and downs and massive excitement and disappointment for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Edgware wrote: »
    Would he be able to afford the numerous sessions of therapy that following Mayo would require?

The first few years will be the worst, once he accepts his fate, it becomes much easier to deal with. :( No therapy needed but a fondness for strong drink does help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

You can't chose Cork, we only accept Texans

The first few years will be the worst, once he accepts his fate, it becomes much easier to deal with. :( No therapy needed but a fondness for strong drink does help

Very good!

Same applies to our hurlers.

Team most likely to beat last year's finalists and then get beaten by Westmeath (no offence to Westies intended...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭threeball

Concannon7 wrote: »
    Hurling is your sport so that straight away should bring your list down from 32 to about 14. Living in America you need a team you can watch on tv seeing as you won't make it to many games.

That probably means taking out some counties with great hurling areas like Westmeath, Laois, Offaly, Kerry, Antrim and Carlow.

Now on top of that don't support Kilkenny, Tipperary or Cork. I mean these are the big three. I know Cork have been in the doldrums these past 14 years but you can be sure sooner or later they'll be back on top winning more titles. Supporting any of these three is basically like becoming a Manchester City or Barcalona fan. Basically guranteeing yourself success every few years.

That leaves the following

Dublin
    Clare
    Waterford
    Limerick
    Galway
    Wexford

As a Galway man I'd say go with us but honestly any of those are suitable.

They are in the group of teams who on their day could beat anyone and with a bit of luck all could win an All Ireland in the not too distant future or on the other hand may not win one for the next 50 years! You just don't know but you'll be guaranteed lots of ups and downs and massive excitement and disappointment for years to come.

I agree, going will Galway will bring you more than 50% victories but not enough that winning will ever be taken for granted. You'll pick up the odd all Ireland but they'll be so we'll spaced that when they come they'll really mean something and you'll get to have your heart broken at the final hurdle on a regular basis.
    Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

PS: I’m happy to help if anyone has the same questions about NFL teams here.

I'll bite, which NFL team would have biggest Irish connection?

I'll bite, which NFL team would have biggest Irish connection?

Pats, with Brady and the Boston thing?

Never got impression that Irish in New York had much interest in Jets or Giants as opposed to the baseball teams.

Know a few Phillies supporters who lived there and there is a bit of a thing for the Packers which is a bit odd as don't thing there be many Paddies in Wisconsin?

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Pats, with Brady and the Boston thing?

Never got impression that Irish in New York had much interest in Jets or Giants as opposed to the baseball teams.

Know a few Phillies supporters who lived there and there is a bit of a thing for the Packers which is a bit odd as don't thing there be many Paddies in Wisconsin?

Is the packers things partly to do with the team being fan owned which appeals to a lot people?

Is the packers things partly to do with the team being fan owned which appeals to a lot people?

Perhaps, it is a likeable aspect of them to be sure.

Think anyone who has interest in the game likes their history and the Vince Lombardi thing.

I heard once that Gavin is a fan, of Lombardi as a legendary coach, not sure about the Cheeseheads :)

Just based upon Irishness, I’d think about the following teams given significant Irish populations: Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

You can’t pick Boston/New England because they’re cheaters. Sure, Brady is Irish, but he’s got maybe two years left in the league, and when he leaves, the coach probably leaves too, and they will be bad for a long time.

As another poster said, there isn’t much connection between New York teams...they don’t feel very Irish to me. The Jets are Green and White, so I’d probably lean toward them.

Philadelphia would probably be my choice. Great Irish population in the city, main team color is green, young team that has a lot of potential and committed ownership. Carson Wenzhou is a solid young QB that they are building around.

Chicago doesn’t really stand out to me, other than they dye their river green every St. Paddy’s Day. It’s an improving team with a great history. They just lost a great coach/defensive coordinator, so I’m not sure what effect that will have.

There are of course lots of other teams, but if it’s a matter of the best Irish connections, these would be the ones that come to mind.

You could, of course, always choose a team based on the colors of your county team. I always see a few NFL hats in the stands when I’m watching Senior hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Welcome to the forum Pjkdenver and make sure you keep posting. Always good to get different perspectives.

Who to support? When i was growing up i became a Juventus supporter because i thought Zinedine Zidane could walk on water. Pick a player you enjoy watching and follow that team.

corny wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Pjkdenver and make sure you keep posting. Always good to get different perspectives.

Who to support? When i was growing up i became a Juventus supporter because i thought Zinedine Zidane could walk on water. Pick a player you enjoy watching and follow that team.

It seems like the directions are all pointing to Clare. Peter Duggan is a wizard in my estimation.

It seems like the directions are all pointing to Clare. Peter Duggan is a wizard in my estimation.

So, I’m visiting Dublin and Cork later this month. Anyone have a recommendation for a good store to buy a Clare jersey? Do I actually need to go to Clare or are there stores in Dublin that sell all teams’ jerseys? Or am I better off getting one online?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So, I’m visiting Dublin and Cork later this month. Anyone have a recommendation for a good store to buy a Clare jersey? Do I actually need to go to Clare or are there stores in Dublin that sell all teams’ jerseys? Or am I better off getting one online?

Elverys stores will likely have them. Failing that, Finns Corner in Cork will definitely have it

Or Croke Park shop. Museum is well worth a visit if you have time.

You'll also get them online. You'll have to organise a visit to Clare now as well some day!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

As far as my research tells me the O'Brien stronghold was also around parts of Limerick too "Thomond", counties like to claim certain things as their own which annoys me, like Tyrone and clan O'Neill or the entire Ui Neill dynasty which was ruled from modern NE Donegal. The later medieval kings at Tullyhogue East Tyrone also ruled modern day South Derry (Loughinsholin) I once read a dissertation from a university professor saying that the reason O'Neills are in South Derry today is because of "natural modern migration" which is nonsense, what's worse is that he said that Co.Antrim was the opposite, co.derry was actually ruled by o'neill kings long before Antrim was yet he seems to think the only reason the surname is in Derry is because of recent inter-marriage.

I noticed something interesting recently, the dioceses of Ireland are divided up along ancient kingdom boundaries, the Derry diocese is north Derry and West Tyrone and my diocese is Armagh which includes south Derry, east Tyrone and God knows what else below that, that's an example of why I think county identies should be taken with a pinch of salt as many areas are closely linked throughout history even if they cross a county border today.

Advertisement