Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Rebel Tour 2019

• 30-06-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Is there a cycle this year in place of the Glengarriffe route this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yes, thankfully, some locals have renamed the old Rebel Tour.
    https://tourdebeara.ie/
    Registration doesnt seem to be open yet, same terrific routes, hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Absolutely mint track. Delighted it’s still going ahead in some form

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tour de Beara 2019

HI All, The Tour de Beara is taking place on September 14th this year in Glengarriff.
    The Cork Rebel Tour has evolved and been rebranded as the Tour de Beara.

There are two routes to chose from ( 160k and 85k ) and both are on0sale now from our website:TourdeBeara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The route seems to be very similar to the Beara sportive in May, but adds 20km plus and 1,100 meters climbing, I must look at the differences between the routes, the one in May was excellent . This sportive has been highly recommended to me.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

That is good news. I was gutted when I saw that the Rebel Tour was canned. Didn't know about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cionn wrote: »
    The route seems to be very similar to the Beara sportive in May, but adds 20km plus and 1,100 meters climbing, I must look at the differences between the routes, the one in May was excellent . This sportive has been highly recommended to me.

C

The Rebel Tour was always regarded as one of the best in the country, both in terms of Organisation, and routes, both for scenic value and toughness.Its easily up there with the Wicklow 200.
    I and many more were surprised when it was cancelled, it always more or less sold out and many cyclists came back time and again from near and far for the day out.
    Just a note of caution, the 160 km route is not for the faint hearted, the healy pass twice as well as everything else that is thrown in the mix is "challenging", be well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I've done this tour for many a year but had noticed that the numbers were falling in recent times. There is no doubt that the Ring of Beara is taking from it. I think September is also not a great date, nowadays.

It has some of the best scenery in Ireland but its a tough, tough day in the saddle, and that's without any bad weather. Bizarrely I always found the Healy Pass OK, even going up the second time, (steady suffering!) but that section from Allihies to Eyres will wreck your legs.

First food stop, never great. Second one, much better. The finish is the best in Ireland and that's after a great Tour de Burren last week.

My advice to anyone thinking about it is to make a weekend of it. Its a great part of the world (I'm a Dub living in Limerick) Wish them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I hope the resurfacing on the descent of the Healy pass is complete. The weather was very challenging last year, so I'd love to return and actually see the views this time. That said, I did Sheeps Head the following day in glorious sunshine and it was a beautiful cycle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I signed up to this today but from reading others comments I’m thinking I may regret it. Shure feck it it’s a challenge and that’s what it’s all about.

A September date is unusual but as we’ve seen this summer any weather is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

who_ru wrote: »
    I signed up to this today but from reading others comments I’m thinking I may regret it. Shure feck it it’s a challenge and that’s what it’s all about.

A September date is unusual but as we’ve seen this summer any weather is possible.

Generally, the weather on this one has always been fairly good, last year was an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Weather is stunning here at the moment and promising more for tomorrow - was out round the route today and the views are incredible!!!

Just to note for tomorrow folks....the tar on the descent down from Healy Pass (down all the hairpins) is a bit "melty" so mind yourself on the bends tomorrow as it's to be as warm and sunny as today.

Really looking forward to it - hope they get a great turnout it's such a lovely part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Great that this is still running. Got great weather for it, food stops on 160 were good.

Hope it continues next year

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I'm signed up for the 160km route this year. Regarding the food stops, can anyone advise what type of food is available? Also, how is the road surface looking in 2021, any sections that you need to be careful on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

160 and 85 seem to be sold out. Entry for 120 still available

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just watch yer man with the stick who likes to stop people on the Healy pass for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

He is just a nosey auld lad ,bit of a pain but harmless

Did this for the first time today. Stunning scenery as always. Weather was perfect for cycling. Sun even broke through for a while.

The hills around Alihies are a real test. One of the toughest sportives around maybe. Haven’t done the WW200 but I’d say it would give it a run for it’s money.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I done the 120km route yesterday, tough spin but between the decent weather and the beautiful scenery I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jwmurph2022

I'm signed up to the 160km this weekend and worried about the Allihies section, has anyone done the Tour de Kilkenny? Do these Allihies climbs compare to the Woodstock one on that route?

My fitness and weight are not where I'd like them to be but I completed the Ring of Clare 160km a few months ago, this one is significantly harder but I'm not so worried about the Healy Pass as the short / sharp ones around Allihies.

I can't compare but I know it's a tough section. I did it in 2019 and mentally prepared for the longer climbs and find them quite straightforward but wasn't ready at all for those leg snappers around Allihies. Got through it fine but if you are prepared for them, leave enough in the tank and have the route on your Garmin if you have one and just spin up at your own pace. I'll be there again on Saturday. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Plan is to take the first 100km as easy as I can to have enough in the tank for Allihies and the second Healy pass. Hopefully it is dry, enjoy your spin!

I’d be in a similar place fitness wise and will be doing it again on Sat. My plan is to take it steady and not be pushing too hard to keep up with people that might be fitter or stronger than me. After the second time up the Healy Pass there is a long drag back to Glengarrif. While the gradient is not too steep it’s just so much more enjoyable if you have enough left in the tank to keep your pace up so save some for that too. Once you get over that bit it’s a lovely drop into Glengarrif.

I'm heading over with much stronger cyclists than me, I'll be staying well back on their pace (as I normally do with these guys) and enjoying the views. Have a nice day Saturday.

I had forgotten about that long drag towards the end. I do recall just starting to cramp as I got to the top but managing to pretty much freewheel home down the hill from there, much to my relief.

Advertisement