Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red registration plates. Yay or Nay

• 27-06-2019 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

What do people think of red rear plates. I do not tend to see many of them.

I am wondering whether to put them on something. A 1984 on a ZV registration.

The car is cream in color.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I say yay

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I say yay
    I love your Fulvia... but red on orange?
    Don't know if I could :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    I love your Fulvia... but red on orange?
    Don't know if I could :pac:

I have that car about 15 years now and was much younger when I chose the colour, if I was to choose a colour now it would probably be a little less loud but how and ever I still like it.
    What would be wrong with a red one?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I have that car about 15 years now and was much younger when I chose the colour, if I was to choose a colour now it would probably be a little less loud but how and ever I still like it.
    What would be wrong with a red one?
    I'm not questioning your choices! Red or Orange, Fulvias are beautiful. The designer in me just can't see red plates on orange paint.

Love to see another pic of the car if you have one. If I could have one in my life I would. Prices are only going to keep going up. They've been creeping up as long as I've been watching them.

• Advertisement

I'm not questioning your choices! Red or Orange, Fulvias are beautiful. The designer in me just can't see red plates on orange paint.

Love to see another pic of the car if you have one. If I could have one in my life I would. Prices are only going to keep going up. They've been creeping up as long as I've been watching them.

Ah I see. That's actually the original plate that I took the numbers off and gave it all a paint up. I just couldn't actually bring myself to put a different colour plate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Never paid much attention to the red plates before, not many about but they do look good on the cars displayed here.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Not with a ZV or modern numbers, but there's no better sight than red plates with an original number.

It's a great pity the powers that be can't devise a number system that reflects History. My understanding is there are plenty of numbers in the original series left to use. Such a series would look correct with red plates. There would need to be provision to swap a ZV to such a series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I went with black pressed plates in the end.

Front.jpg
    Back.jpg

It's a lovely looking little car either ways.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    I went with black pressed plates in the end.

i did that on a 1600E many moons ago, had to wait to re-reg it until the ZV1000s ran into the ZV 1100s. :-)

006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

IMO red looks... err, "not good"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Isambard wrote: »
    Not with a ZV or modern numbers, but there's no better sight than red plates with an original number...
    This.

ZV's just don't look right on red plates. Those that know will know....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Red looks great at the back, even with ZV.

Mis-spaced plates look worse than ZVs.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Mis-spaced plates look worse than ZVs.

I debated whether to space it out or not.

I really dislike the ZV then 5 numbers. I think spaced out it is more symetric looking and easier on the eye.

I debated whether to space it out or not.

I really dislike the ZV then 5 numbers. I think spaced out it is more symetric looking and easier on the eye.

and might attract the Law....

Isambard wrote: »
    and might attract the Law....

I am open to correction, but I believe it to be legal.

There is no mention in either the legislation or NCT testing manual that says you can not do it.

The legislation is very specific about modern plates, but nothing to say you can not do it on vintage ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Designer or not, and regardless of the colour of the car, you only had 2 choices of number plate 'colour' when that Fulvia was new, red or black... and that was pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Slightly off topic but what sort of number are we at for Dublin ZV's at the moment ?

• Advertisement

The legislation is very specific about modern plates, but nothing to say you can not do it on vintage ones.

The legislation for display of a ZV plate is quite specific too. It's covered by the 1982 regs.
    23. The provisions of this Schedule shall be deemed to be complied with in relation to an identification mark which incorporates the index mark ZV if the identification mark exhibited on the vehicle complies with the provisions of Part I of the Third Schedule to the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations, 1982 ( S.I. No. 311 of 1982 ).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1982/si/311/

It defines the height, stroke, widths of characters, groupings, spacings and borders, but not the minimum plate size which is dictated by how many characters are in the index mark.

welder wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but what sort of number are we at for Dublin ZV's at the moment ?

just over 11630 (see OP's car;) ).

The legislation for display of a ZV plate is quite specific too. It's covered by the 1982 regs.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1982/si/311/

It defines the height, stroke, widths of characters, groupings, spacings and borders, but not the minimum plate size which is dictated by how many characters are in the index mark.

Thanks for that, I stand corrected.

No problem, nobody enforces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Absolutely yes, on the rear, once it's appropriate for the year of the car. If you're entitled to do it go ahead, and fcuck the ZV snobs.

No problem, nobody enforces it.

currently yes, but presumably ANPR systems will become more common in time and then there could be a problem.

About 8 years ago I was forced to use a sharpie to fill in a gap in the germanic "0" at the end my vintage reg. The guy at the NCT wouldn't pass me otherwise. He showed me some rules that clearly only applied to post 86 plates, but wouldn't budge. This despite me pointing out several staff cars sporting different fonts.

Example of the "0" (not my style plates).

motgerblackonwhite.jpg

Advertisement