Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Daniels alternative

• 30-06-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭

With BBQ season in full swing, I've been using J D as part of the maranating process for various meats.

(Basically, maranating with x y z. .. then lashing in some booze)

Is their a cheaper alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go to Aldi or Lidl and buy their standard Bourbon whiskey.

even tesco has a version called sams something for about fifteen quid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

dudara wrote: »
    Go to Aldi or Lidl and buy their standard Bourbon whiskey.

Is JD a bourbon.. I thought it was a whisky ?

Or just a marketing ploy .??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think it's technically a Tennessee whiskey, but it's probably close enough to a bourbon.
    You're using it as a marinade, so I don't think it's going to make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mikeecho wrote: »

JD is not technically a bourbon IIRC, I think it’s a Tennessee whiskey. But to all intents and purposes, it’s a bourbon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Golden Sun Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

mikeecho wrote: »

JD is a Tennessee whiskey, Jim Beam and others are bourbon whiskeys. The difference is minimal, Tennessee is filtered through maple charcoal before ageing.

Golden Sun Lidl

It's for cooking, so I'm sure that'll be fine.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could you substitute it with coca cola gives you a nice sweet and sticky taste. Either drop the whiskey completely or make it 5/1, 4 parts coke and 1 part whiskey. Results might be very close.

Could you substitute it with coca cola gives you a nice sweet and sticky taste. Either drop the whiskey completely or make it 5/1, 4 parts coke and 1 part whiskey. Results might be very close.

I'll try a bit of both.

Monday. I'm doing fish, but I'll try Coke and JD(ish) on Tuesday for the beef.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dudara wrote: »
    JD is not technically a bourbon IIRC, I think it’s a Tennessee whiskey. But to all intents and purposes, it’s a bourbon.

It meets the legal requirements to be called bourbon - it's a marketing decision not to

I'm just looking for something similar to use for cooking.

I'll try the lidl version.

I'm just looking for something similar to use for cooking.

I'll try the lidl version.

Advertisement