Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Commentators

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

BloodyBill wrote: »
    How about this for a dream team. M&M aka Marty Morrissey (reading his script of course and Martin Carney (waxing on about something from the 70s)....joined by Dessie Dolan . A threesome of the inept, decrepit and insufferable.. Throw in 'Mr Kilkenny' Michael Duignan with his monotone Midland accent and we are home and hosed.

I like Duignan. He does know his hurling and generally has some interesting insight and has a passion for the game, although I think his countyman Daithi Regan is the best out there and easy to listen too. Tommy walshes enthusiasm is infectious. Just like the analysts, the hurling co-commentators are light years ahead of the football ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Tommy Walsh is brilliant. The best player ever to make the seamless switch to commentating and punditry. He is so natural and everything he says is insightful. Can’t be long before RTÉ snap him up. Gooch is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

slegs wrote: »
    Gooch is very good too.

Gooch is awful - no insight at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

BloodyBill wrote: »
    How about this for a dream team. M&M aka Marty Morrissey (reading his script of course and Martin Carney (waxing on about something from the 70s)....joined by Dessie Dolan . A threesome of the inept, decrepit and insufferable.. Throw in 'Mr Kilkenny' Michael Duignan with his monotone Midland accent and we are home and hosed.

I think Duignan is very good but i agree with the other 3, marty morrissey with his irrelevant facts "great point there from drew wylie, drew of course does his shopping in supervalu clones ever saturday morning and once bought a packet of hob nobs thinking they were rich tea"

martin carney stuck in a time warp, "his father was a great junior B corner back back in the 70's, very scrappy"

and as for dessie "i better say something here just to let the viewers know i'm co-commentating whilst making sure they are aware that i used to play intercounty" dolan
    "they needed that score marty, hes one of the best corner backs in the country at the moment, i marked him a few times myself"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Brendan Cummins is very good on the hurling , and Duignan is excellent also.

(I don't watch much football..)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The worst thing about Marty, is his sentimental spiel before every match. I understand him referencing the diaspora before the All-Ireland final, but now it seems like a weekly occurrence.

"From Ballyhaunis to Bali. From Abbeyfeale to Abu Dhabi. From Sydney, Australia to San Diego, California. The Irish are tuning in from all over the world. Just like Mary, a proud Monaghan woman watching all the way over in Perth....."

Good man Marty. I never knew us Irish have emigrated all over the world.

Great little country for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

The worst thing about Marty, is his sentimental spiel before every match. I understand him referencing the diaspora before the All-Ireland final, but now it seems like a weekly occurrence.

"From Ballyhaunis to Bali. From Abbeyfeale to Abu Dhabi. From Sydney, Australia to San Diego, California. The Irish are tuning in from all over the world. Just like Mary, a proud Monaghan woman watching all the way over in Perth....."

I find the worst thing about Marty commentating is that I have little to no respect for anything he has to say about the game. Actually, the same for Ger Canning.

I don't care about what level the played any gaelic games at (I know plenty of club footballers who have much better heads for the game than star inter-county players) but nothing about the RTE commentary suggests the lads have any real grasp of what they're prattling on about. They come across as total bluffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

elefant wrote: »
    I find the worst thing about Marty commentating is that I have little to no respect for anything he has to say about the game. Actually, the same for Ger Canning.

I don't care about what level the played any gaelic games at (I know plenty of club footballers who have much better heads for the game than star inter-county players) but nothing about the RTE commentary suggests the lads have any real grasp of what they're prattling on about. They come across as total bluffers.

The teary eyed fondling of themselves over the beauty of hurling can be a bit too much to take sometimes too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

He did it before the all ireland a couple of years ago and got praise for it so he continued to do it, marty just loves the attention, in fairness to him hes a bit of a character helped in part by mario rosenstock and his marty party character and marty plays to it

one thing for certain is i'm really going to miss michael leyster, the gaa version of bill herlihy, an excellent presenter and knowledgable on the game and is light hearted, joanne cantwell is very dry and no craic, can you imagine a discussion between her and dessie dolan, ffs....
    jackie hurley should have been given that role imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyled1984

Dessie is good I think..he doesn't get as excited or elated as say Marty Morrisey or Michael o Muir but his commentary is good and he gives good insight particularly in attacking. While "he'll be dissappointed with that" or "they needed that score" might be obvious they are also fairly generic and you would get similar from any commentator in any sport.
    The argument that he shouldn't be commentating because he has no all Ireland's holds no water. He was recognised as one of the countries best forwards for what seemed like a very long time.
    He can be a bit monotone or boring at times alright so I can understand people not liking him. However questioning his abilities as a pundit/commentator whilst also promoting Lee Keegan in the same post doesn't make sense. Lee Keegan was like a rabbit in the headlights when he got his chance.
    I'd say Whelan and tomas o shea are very good and then I'd have dessie there after... pat spillane was excellent in the 90s but he's spent the last 20yrs being controversial just to stay relevant and keep the young up comers off his toes. Brolly and spillane are like dunphy, funny and entertaining but spoofers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

Ger Canning is dire and always seems to be doing the hurling. Can they not pension him off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ppn wrote: »
    Ger Canning is dire and always seems to be doing the hurling. Can they not pension him off!!
    Let him do the soccer where he can't cause any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Darragh Maloney did a fine job on the Leinster final today and Donal O'Grady is always worthwhile with serious points to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

crossman47 wrote: »
    Darragh Maloney did a fine job on the Leinster final today and Donal O'Grady is always worthwhile with serious points to make.
    Moloney is the best commentator they have by a mile. Can't see any reason why the other two get the big gigs ahead of him, except seniority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I thought Molony made a few howlers. Mistook Morris for Chin at least one, which is pretty good going in fairness!

I suppose its all in the ear of the beholder. All have different styles and none of them will ever be as good as Ó Mhuirceartaigh or Hehir or Mick Dunne.

Some excellent radio commentators in fairness. Listened to the football last night and very good from all venues and Dolan, Meehan and Flynn were good contributors. Not heard Meehan doing it before and he seems to have a good eye for stuff going on around the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Darragh Maloney is by far the best commentator right now."The target"Canning has always been dreadful.Marty Morrissey is ok if he toned down some of the banality,himself and John Mullane on radio commentary is some event.Paraic Lodge is very good on radio.I haven't heard Martin Carney so far this year,is he gone ?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I thought Molony made a few howlers. Mistook Morris for Chin at least one, which is pretty good going in fairness!

I suppose its all in the ear of the beholder. All have different styles and none of them will ever be as good as Ó Mhuirceartaigh or Hehir or Mick Dunne.

Some excellent radio commentators in fairness. Listened to the football last night and very good from all venues and Dolan, Meehan and Flynn were good contributors. Not heard Meehan doing it before and he seems to have a good eye for stuff going on around the field.

Micheal Meehan was on TV once,maybe twice last year as a pundit.He was excellent,don't know why he isn't on instead of Colm Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Morrissey is a disaster and shouldn't be let near a microphone outside of a Bingo hall. Canning is fine,professional and a broad spectrum of people can listen to him. He has no GAA background, hes from Montenotte in Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

We now have Marty on trying to convince everyone the Jamar Hall is in fact called Jamer Hall. What a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    We now have Marty on trying to convince everyone the Jamar Hall is in fact called Jamer Hall. What a dose.

What sort of monster calls their boy Jamar?

Sounds like a Compton rapper :)

• Advertisement

Kevin McStay is an excellent pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyled1984

Kevin McStay is an excellent pundit.

I can't stand Mcstay... He just loves the sound of his own voice and butts in on other commentators to have his say. Maybe he makes fair points but for years I just tune off or make myself tea when he talks. I don't really have a valid reason for disliking him.

I can't stand Mcstay... He just loves the sound of his own voice and butts in on other commentators to have his say. Maybe he makes fair points but for years I just tune off or make myself tea when he talks. I don't really have a valid reason for disliking him.

He speaks properly,none of the "looked I suppose"slaughtering of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He speaks properly,none of the "looked I suppose"slaughtering of the English language.

Totally agree,he's an excellent analyst.

TBF I totally understand that in life there are people who by nature we are inclined/disinclined to warm to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Darragh Maloney is by far the best commentator right now."The target"Canning has always been dreadful.Marty Morrissey is ok if he toned down some of the banality,himself and John Mullane on radio commentary is some event.Paraic Lodge is very good on radio.I haven't heard Martin Carney so far this year,is he gone ?

Martin was on MidWest Radio yesterday and he was nearly gone in added time. He was another poor kickout away from a heart attack.

He's very good on radio, no malice in him at all.

Marty managed to erroneously mention that the Coen cousins were in fact brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

Bonniedog wrote: »

No problem with the first two legends, but nice man and all as he was Mick Dunne was a terrible commentator. His monotone drone was just awful to listen to.

PARlance wrote: »
    Martin was on MidWest Radio yesterday and he was nearly gone in added time. He was another poor kickout away from a heart attack.

He's very good on radio, no malice in him at all.

Martin with all his pro Mayo bias gave me one of my favourite moments of radio commentary at the death of Mayo Kerry semi final game in 2017 accompanying Michael D Mc Andrew.

"Get back!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭50HX

"But shure look"

""Yeah.....tough like "d'ya know"

"Un believable like"

• Advertisement

Laois and Meath cannot be drawn against each other in tomorrow mornings draw.

Advertisement