Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup no longer on Eir (via BT Sport)

• 30-06-2019 9:11am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well this is a pain...effective 1 August 2019 if you want to watch the Champions Cup (outside of the one game shown on Virgin Media or Channel 4), you will have to buy BT Sport as an add on on Sky (presumably it will show on Now TV ?)

https://www.balls.ie/other/sky-sports-distribution-deal-413148

RWC and PRO14 coverage remains on Eir sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well I got one good year of it. The pub it is so for the HCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Brutal development, no indication as of yet for being able to purchase BT sports as an add on for your Eir package either yet, which means if you want to be able to watch the champions cup and the Pro14 (legally), it'll likely be 60 euro a month for the Sky and BT package, and then 30 euro a month for the Eir add on.

Long live IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Brutal development, no indication as of yet for being able to purchase BT sports as an add on for your Eir package either yet, which means if you want to be able to watch the champions cup and the Pro14 (legally), it'll likely be 60 euro a month for the Sky and BT package, and then 30 euro a month for the Eir add on.

Long live IPTV.

Hear hear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Brutal development, no indication as of yet for being able to purchase BT sports as an add on for your Eir package either yet

Eir customer service are saying that customers to eir’s cable TV service, eir Vision, will be able to subscribe to BT Sport as a premium service from 1st August. This won’t be of help to those who were getting BT Sport free as part of an Eir Broadband only package obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Any word from Eir on price reductions for an Eir Sports only package?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I wouldn’t be holding up hope on that one. When Setanta GB went bust in 2009 and the Setanta Sports Pack suddenly went from 10 channels down to two (the likes of Setanta Sports 2, Setanta Golf, Setanta Sports News etc - remember them - all closing, while the football club channels and NASN (predecessor of ESPN America)left the pack) the price stayed exactly the same. Granted it was about half the price of what it is now (about €15.99 at the time, I recall).

But eir now has one and only driver of standalone subscriptions - the Pro14. And even then most of Connacht’s games are free to air. Is it worth €30pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Very hard to see anyone paying more than 10-15 euro per month for Eir Sport now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Very hard to see anyone paying more than 10-15 euro per month for Eir Sport now

They still have the PRO14 and RWC but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

They still have the PRO14 and RWC but yeah...
    Pro 14 yes.
    But all the RWC games are also FTA on ITV who will have coherent and knowledgeable commentary, unlike Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Good aul BT huh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

all the RWC games are also FTA on ITV who will have coherent and knowledgeable commentary .....

...... and 14½ minutes of advertisements at half time. :mad:

Pro 14 yes.
    But all the RWC games are also FTA on ITV who will have coherent and knowledgeable commentary, unlike Eir

Plus all the Irish games and the knock out stages will be on RTE.
    ...... and 14½ minutes of advertisements at half time. :mad:

That was TV3 last time round wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What if you already have a sky subscription with all the channels, sports, movies so on. Does that mean I'll have BT Sports as part of that now?

Finally a reason to kick EIR to the kerb, what a nasty group of people they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

The email ends ends thus. "Watch this space for more exciting announcements in the coming months" . No Moto GP, WRC or Supercar on Eirsport. Rubbish channels.

What if you already have a sky subscription with all the channels, sports, movies so on. Does that mean I'll have BT Sports as part of that now?

Finally a reason to kick EIR to the kerb, what a nasty group of people they are.

No, it'll be bundled in a package with sky sports that you can avail of, but you won't get it free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah. Instead of getting it for free, now you get to give another 30 quid every month to Sky who are a shoo-in for the next Nobel Peace prize. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skillbane

I got in touch with Eir as I barely use the service anyway apart from BT Sport so I tried to cancel my contract early. The person I was speaking to on the web chat denied they had to agree to cancel the contract. To me that's a clear change of service and a breach of contract... nothing I can do about it though

skillbane wrote: »
    I got in touch with Eir as I barely use the service anyway apart from BT Sport so I tried to cancel my contract early. The person I was speaking to on the web chat denied they had to agree to cancel the contract. To me that's a clear change of service and a breach of contract... nothing I can do about it though

It depends on what's in your contract, most will include a clause to say offerings are subject to change during the duration of the contract. In fact the below is from the Eir vision terms and conditions:

"The Service that eir provides to you may change from time to time as the
    provision of the Service is variable and eir cannot guarantee the availability of
    any particular channel or programme which forms part of the Service. This may
    occur for reasons beyond eir’s control, including but not limited to decisions of
    programme providers, technical difficulties, for reasons that we were not aware
    of nor could not have foreseen at the time the programme was advertised or
    scheduled, if we believe it will improve the Service or for commercial reasons.
    eir shall not be liable to you for any changes, lack of availability or failure to
    transmit any advertised eir Vision programme or channels or to do so at the
    advertised time. Therefore the Service including any eir Vision programme
    contents, channels, channel packages, programming, programming schedules,
    channel broadcast hours, channel allocations, and transmission times may change
    from time to time or channels or eir Vision programme may no longer be available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I have the Eir Sport Pack (i.e BT sport and Eir Sport) and I have the Sky Sports Pack.

When the switch happens will my subscription still keep the Eir Channels that are left.

I don;t want to have the hassle of having to ring Eir and Sky and set up the subscription again when I already have all the channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skillbane

It depends on what's in your contract, most will include a clause to say offerings are subject to change during the duration of the contract. In fact the below is from the Eir vision terms and conditions:

"The Service that eir provides to you may change from time to time as the
    provision of the Service is variable and eir cannot guarantee the availability of
    any particular channel or programme which forms part of the Service. This may
    occur for reasons beyond eir’s control, including but not limited to decisions of
    programme providers, technical difficulties, for reasons that we were not aware
    of nor could not have foreseen at the time the programme was advertised or
    scheduled, if we believe it will improve the Service or for commercial reasons.
    eir shall not be liable to you for any changes, lack of availability or failure to
    transmit any advertised eir Vision programme or channels or to do so at the
    advertised time. Therefore the Service including any eir Vision programme
    contents, channels, channel packages, programming, programming schedules,
    channel broadcast hours, channel allocations, and transmission times may change
    from time to time or channels or eir Vision programme may no longer be available"

Well found and thanks for putting in the effort. It seems they are probably covered so.

They only problem I have with Eir's representation of BT Sports is that they promoted the whole BT Sport package so much, seemingly without having a long term agreement with them that they could even guarantee they would have it for the duration of a 12 month contract, but it was enough to catch my eye when making a choice of provider. Not the worst thing in the world, my contract is up in November anyway.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Will it still be available on Eirsport Mobile I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

jelutong wrote: »
    Will it still be available on Eirsport Mobile I wonder?

Nope, it will be fully gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Eir seem to be losing alot of their subs due to cutting this and the UFC events turning them to PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

I see yow will get BT and Premier Sports on the "Sports Extra" package with Sky. Anyone want to make a guess when it will be available, and how much it will cost?

crisco10 wrote: »
    I see yow will get BT and Premier Sports on the "Sports Extra" package with Sky. Anyone want to make a guess when it will be available, and how much it will cost?

I'm going to guess that it'll be just before the start of the new premiership season (when most people add sky sports to their subscription) and around 60 quid a month in the bundle. They'll likely have a promo offer for it for new customers or people who don't have sky sports already at like 40 quid (they used to do sky sports for 22.50 for 6 months which was half price just before the premier league season).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

I'm going to guess that it'll be just before the start of the new premiership season (when most people add sky sports to their subscription) and around 60 quid a month in the bundle. They'll likely have a promo offer for it for new customers or people who don't have sky sports already at like 40 quid (they used to do sky sports for 22.50 for 6 months which was half price just before the premier league season).

Any idea if this package can be added to Virgin?

PMC83 wrote: »
    Any idea if this package can be added to Virgin?

No clue, haven't worked in the industry for a couple years so just guessing off experience. I'd say it probably will though at some stage, if they can negotiate a deal with Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I presume it will be gone off Vodafone TV also

Advertisement