Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job vs. M50.

• 29-06-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi folks,

How much importance do you place on the commute when choosing a job?

I have the following choice.....

1. Stay in current job.
    Doing it a few years. Quite happy in it, no real complaints, challenging at times but no real stress.
    20 min commute. Either by car or bike(segragrated bike lane all the way from Sutton to Fairview).

2. New job.
    Probably more exciting, more responsibility, would look good on cv.
    Commute from Sutton to Leixleip.
    50% of pay rise would be cancelled out by fuel, tolls, wear and tear on car.
    Test drive at rush hour took 50 mins, but that was during summer holidays.

Is commuting on the M50 that bad?
    Is the commute time likely to increase that much outside of summer holidays?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Train from Sutton to Leixlip? It'll take an hour but it'll be consistent. And from Connolly out you'll be against the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Treetree

The m50 is that bad, it can be at a standstill at times. I'm not sure about the Sutton to leixleip but usually once the summer is over I can see 15 or 20 mins added on to my journey when traffic gets back to normal, and use the m50 for a good bit of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Hi folks,

1. Stay in current job.
    Doing it a few years. Quite happy in it, no real complaints, challenging at times but no real stress.
    20 min commute. Either by car or bike(segragrated bike lane all the way from Sutton to Fairview).

2. New job.

Cheers!

Was in a similar situation, was based in town (25min cycle) but have made move to new job which requires me to travel basically the majority of the m50 (northbound in morning).

Somewhat flexible start time and some working from home made me go for it. Only started and it hasnt been too bad the last couple weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's a 30km cycle, something you could do in about an hour once your fitness built up, if they had showers and somewhere safe to lockup a bike, it could be win, win. Would require a lot of discipline on your end to ride the bike regardless of the weather, but I know plenty of people who cycle commute this far every working day of the year. And you can always use the car as a once off if the weather is particularly dangerous which happens a few times a year at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Interesting question.

I don't know the routes or times of traffic but my instinct says go for the more challenging job that's harder to access. It can only pay dividents later on. You never know what the future brings but if it's a good thing for the cv I would say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Get a motorcycle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A daily M50 commute will suck the very soul from you.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Train from Sutton to Leixlip? It'll take an hour but it'll be consistent. And from Connolly out you'll be against the flow.

Actually, to add to this. If you're close enough to Howth Junction you can get one of the non stopping trains to Connolly. This will cut the train journey time to about 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think whichever way you choose to make this commute it’s ONLY going to be a ball ache and energy sapper.

First thing in the morning, an early start, sat frustrated in traffic, already expending significant amounts of your time, energy, money and concentration on just getting there before you even sit down at your desk. If public transport, waiting in all weathers, traveling in discomfort it’s energy and soul sapping.

In the evening when you ARE tired you have to do it all AGAIN. Five days a week. Come Friday evening you will be fit for your bed only, Saturday will feel like it was only invented for you to recover rather then enjoying time off.

I’m only saying the above based on experience and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

If my salary was doubled tax free and all commuting expenses covered I wouldn't even consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's a 30km cycle, something you could do in about an hour once your fitness built up, if they had showers and somewhere safe to lockup a bike, it could be win, win. Would require a lot of discipline on your end to ride the bike regardless of the weather, but I know plenty of people who cycle commute this far every working day of the year. And you can always use the car as a once off if the weather is particularly dangerous which happens a few times a year at most.
    don't forget the option for an e-bike too, which would make life a lot easier. a 50% pay rise should defray some of the cost.
    what route to take would be an interesting discussion.

edit: whoops, i read that as a 50% pay rise, just noticed my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

If my salary was doubled tax free and all commuting expenses covered I wouldn't even consider it.

Well that would be a stupid decision

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hi folks,

1. Stay in current job.

2. New job.

Cheers!
    The fact that you are ONLY going to J7 makes it a little bit less hellish. Your problem starts on the R139, even before Clare Hall, which could be up to 35m on a really bad day and that kind of delay probably means 35-50m on the M50 alone. Even leaving early say at 6:30-6:45 you'll probably do well to get under an hour for the whole journey. Coming back is the real killer though. You're tired and could be looking at a consistent 1 hour to get home. The only other practical option as others have said is the train from Connolly, which is the most stress-free choice. Howth Junction is a better option or Malahide would be also good either to park in or get the bus to (220?). Get used to reading a lot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any chance of working from home in the new role?
    depending on how badly they want you, you could open up the commute as a negotiating tactic to allow that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

How fixed are your hours of work? I reduced my commute by 45 minutes each way by working 8-4:15 instead of 9-5:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Unless you are on shift work, you'll have to remember that an hours drive home every evening is your absolute best case.

Just needs one idiot to cause a pile up and there's plenty of them on the M50.

You'll be stressing every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Using m50 daily, but only for a short distance and against the traffic. But if your saying it’s 50 minutes now, wait until the dark winter arrives. Add at least an extra 45 minutes to that providing there is no crashes.
    Train sounds like a better option tbh, could cycle to Connolly and get the train from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I suffered the m50 south bound for about 15 years and only when I stopped doing it I realised how soul destroying it really was.

No amount of money is worth the reality of having to get up super early just to make sure you are in the office in time .. and regardless of when you leave at least once or twice a week you will be late or stuck behind and accident which takes up the guts of two hours of you life in the morning.

I now work from home 4 days a week and everything from family life to personal health and mental wellbeing is better

Don’t do it .. as soon as sept kicks in and the schools are back you will regret your decision

Life isn’t about chasing the dream it’s about living for the now

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sonny liston

Hi folks,
    thanks very much for all the replies.

- the train is a good idea. But I think 1 hour is a bit optimistic. When you factor in walking times to stations, waiting times between trains, late trains etc, I think 1.5 hours each way is more realistic.

- a motorbike. A good idea......but not really for me :-)

- 30km cycle each way. This is too much for me to do everyday. Wouldn't leave me with much energy for anything else. Maybe once or twice a week is possible. But I'm not sure it would be the most enjoyable or safest cycle?

- working from home? I'm checking. Although not a huge fan of this as I live alone and not sure it's healthy to be home alone all day. I could actually work from home anytime I want in current job, but almost always go into the office by choice.

- flexible working hours? Good idea. I'm checking.....

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

- the train is a good idea. But I think 1 hour is a bit optimistic. When you factor in walking times to stations, waiting times between trains, late trains etc, I think 1.5 hours each way is more realistic.

How far is home to Dart? Lock up a cheap bicycle at Leixlip and pedal the last km to work.
    30km cycle each way. This is too much for me to do everyday. Wouldn't leave me with much energy for anything else. Maybe once or twice a week is possible. But I'm not sure it would be the most enjoyable or safest cycle?
    30km is a fair ask to start with. Would be an interesting one-way, twice weekly spin (take the train the other way) to start with but your fitness would improve. You would be spending at least 1.5 hours each way on the bike though. Enjoyable? Definitely. Safe? Proper assertive cycling is pretty safe. If you want, you can ride Sutton -> Leixlip 70% off-road between the coastal cycleway, Fairview park and the Royal Canal...

• Advertisement

yep, which is why i suggested an e-bike; 30km is a fair ould spin when there's no obvious direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

yep, which is why i suggested an e-bike; 30km is a fair ould spin when there's no obvious direct route.
    You'd really have to go through town and out that way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think the important question to ask is, what will you do with the extra money (after tax)? Will it make a qualitative difference to your life and how will it balance against the extra commute and the cost to your physical and mental health.

If the money makes a big change to your life, like being able to afford a mortgage, etc. Then fair enough.

Personally I've turned down decent pay increase offers because they would involve a big commute. At the moment, I work from home 4 days a week and when I do go into the office it is only a very pleasant 30 minutes (one way) walk.

I feel sitting in traffic for an hour and a half or more would have a big impact on my physical and mental well being and reduce my precious time with my family, which I feel is priceless.

But then I'm lucky enough to already have a well paying job, a home, health care, pension, can afford holidays, etc. So the extra money wouldn't really make much difference in my life. Sure I could buy a new TV or whatever other junk, but it wouldn't really make a difference to the important things in my life, so the cost wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take it, everyone is different and has different needs. It is just some food for thought. I've seen too many people jump jobs for a pay increase without really thinking about it. And then end up spending the pay increase on increased travel costs and end up miserable with the commute.

As an aside, I've a friend who actually took a pay decrease on a new job, because it offered a much shorter commute and work from home days. He is much happier now.

Once you get above a certain pay level, quality of life becomes more important then pay. But that may or may not be the case for you.

BTW you could also discuss (carefully) with your current employer about moving within the company, taking on more responsibility and/or just look for a pay increase there. Depending on your industry they might be happy to give you a pay increase rather then go through the pain of losing you and needing to higher and train someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

OP it depends on where you are in your career
    I did the 45-70 min each way commute across the m50 (depending on traffic) for about 6 years leaving a job that was <10 mins each way.

It was not so much about the extra money as at the time the extra money at the time was about the value of my time commuting . The role though kicked me on in my career.
    By the end of that 6 years It was certainly worth it as that role made me a far more attractive hire and let me get roles I never would have got in or from the local company .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi folks,
    thanks very much for all the replies.

- a motorbike. A good idea......but not really for me :-)

- 30km cycle each way. This is too much for me to do everyday. Wouldn't leave me with much energy for anything else. Maybe once or twice a week is possible. But I'm not sure it would be the most enjoyable or safest cycle?

- working from home? I'm checking. Although not a huge fan of this as I live alone and not sure it's healthy to be home alone all day. I could actually work from home anytime I want in current job, but almost always go into the office by choice.

- flexible working hours? Good idea. I'm checking.....

Cheers.
    I wouldn't give up on the train option too easy, even a fold up scooter which you could bring in the train with you would help massively on the journeys to and from the stations.

It's predictable and relatively stress free.

A 50% salary increase and long term career progression, I'd say go for it.

As for the m50, I agree with everyone else on this thread, unless you've flexible hours, stay away.

1huge1 wrote: »
    A 50% salary increase and long term career progression, I'd say go for it.
    i misread that too, first time - the OP did not say a 50% pay rise, they said 50% of the rise would be swallowed up by the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A friend of mine lives alone and works from home 5 days per week. Home is office from 9 - 5, granted, shes on the phone all day. But she does activities in the evening during the two hours she would otherwise spend commuting so she feels she has more of a social life working from home than if the was in an office.

i misread that too, first time - the OP did not say a 50% pay rise, they said 50% of the rise would be swallowed up by the commute.

If commuting by car tho. Might not be as much with a taxsaver ticket on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Maybe I'm missing something but would it not make a lot more sense to move to Leixlip if you live alone.
    It'll save you 10 hours a week minimum which is a lot of anyone's time.
    If you have family or other connections in Sutton you can travel there after work when there's no traffic, which is likely when you might visit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I done the m50 for just over 2 years, after 2 weeks I realised few things and never looked back

Never expect it to be clear, if it is then happy days
    Don’t bother with the change lane s**t, I see majority of people on it nearly crashing every 5 mins to jump lanes to get ahead to get passed 5 mins later
    If your late your late, don’t expect to make up time on it, ring ahead and let the office know
    Don’t listen to radio in car, it’s awful and every so often will remind you how sh*t the traffic is. Podcast and Spotify all the way
    During day keep eye on traffic, if accident then work later, better to sit in office than in car with a loads of people trying to cut you off
    If huge accident, book into a hotel
    Motor bike on m50? You really want to try that?

Just a few things.....main point is you can get stressed out about it or just turn it into part of routine....it ain’t getting better anytime soon

Advertisement