Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1000's of kids making their communion today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

splinter65 wrote: »
    The majority of the Catholic children sent to the catholic school by their catholic parents would be expecting to get catholic sacrament instruction.
    If the parents of the minority children not getting instruction are upset then why do they not make more of a fuss?
    The Muslim children don’t join in any music or entertainment either as well as and they are all excelling and very happy.

I agree with the premise of your first point but it caused conflict with the overwhelming majority of schools being catholic owned but public funded. Most people don't have the option of sending their child to a non-catholic school. The teachers are paid by the state they shouldn't be involved in preparing for religious sacrements.

Makning a fuss in a school is often much more trouble than it's worth. Teachers will on occasion gang up on children of problem parents. This is of even more importance now that teachers will be grading a % of their own students state exam material.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My objection is the amount of time allocated to FHC preparation during the school day.

I noticed when my youngest was in 2nd class a lot more art and project work coming home. He's in an ET so there's no time spent on sacrements but because Catholic schools are doing them his school had to fill the time with other stuff so as not to be at an advantage.

It seems ridiculous and while I've no objection to the kids doing non curriculum things, it seems unfair to expect other schools to deny students access to lessons they may need or benefit from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

eviltwin wrote: »
    My objection is the amount of time allocated to FHC preparation during the school day.

I noticed when my youngest was in 2nd class a lot more art and project work coming home. He's in an ET so there's no time spent on sacrements but because Catholic schools are doing them his school had to fill the time with other stuff so as not to be at an advantage.

It seems ridiculous and while I've no objection to the kids doing non curriculum things, it seems unfair to expect other schools to deny students access to lessons they may need or benefit from

FAKE NEWS - Again more sh*te talk. This s simply not true. Schools ALL have the same curriculum to get through.

They don't have to "fill" any time - most teachers are under pressure to get the curriculum covered- they certainly aren't waiting for other teachers to get other stuff done

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

FAKE NEWS - Again more sh*te talk. This s simply not true. Schools ALL have the same curriculum to get through.

They don't have to "fill" any time - most teachers are under pressure to get the curriculum covered- they certainly aren't waiting for other teachers to get other stuff done

Not fake, entirely true. It's also true that kids in Catholic schools who have opted out cannot use the time to study. I have personally experienced this with my eldest whose 40 mins of time sitting in a classroom while others did religion had to involve reading a book as study would have been unfair to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Where on earth did you hear this? That’s just nonsense!

• Advertisement

Not fake, entirely true. It's also true that kids in Catholic schools who have opted out cannot use the time to study. I have personally experienced this with my eldest whose 40 mins of time sitting in a classroom while others did religion had to involve reading a book as study would have been unfair to the others.

Fake News Your plainly making stories up. Kids who have opted out have to be catered for in some form - Teachers are not in the habit of preventing students from sitting quietly and studying.
    It sounds awfully like you're taking your childs "story" as Gospel (:D) .
    What did the teacher / principal say when you queried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Catholic Communion is the act of consuming the physical blood and body of a man who died 2000 years ago. The bread and wine are transformed into that by the priest.

Most families doing first communion don't genuinely believe in it. They do it for social advantage, to assert themselves as part of the dominant group in the country - which has excessive and pernicious influence.

Fake News Your plainly making stories up. Kids who have opted out have to be catered for in some form - Teachers are not in the habit of preventing students from sitting quietly and studying.
    It sounds awfully like you're taking your childs "story" as Gospel (:D) .
    What did the teacher / principal say when you queried this?

I've found that the people who shout loudest about fake news are always the ones spouting it. Try to be a grown up and engage in a discussion without resorting to throwing a tantrum like a spoiled child

GarIT wrote: »
    I've found that the people who shout loudest about fake news are always the ones spouting it. Try to be a grown up and engage in a discussion without resorting to throwing a tantrum like a spoiled child

I've engaged quite clearly where there is a repeated ridiculous claim. unlike yourself where you haven't articulated where I'm spoutng fake news.

I've engaged quite clearly where there is a repeated ridiculous claim. unlike yourself where you haven't articulated where I'm spoutng fake news.

Your claiming people's experiences are fake news is itself fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Your trying to pretend that the RCC are frogmarching families into the church, when you actually know that that’s not true.
    Where did I say frogmarching or anything like it, and why are you asking me to justify a position which you invented yourself and which I do not hold?

The RCC controls schools and insists that teachers make kids believe the RCC's preposterous magic stories.

FHC itself is a complete waste of time, but that's just one day and one fairly large expense. The real issue is the hundreds and hundreds of wasted school hours, plus the silly stories, plus the RCC's sex-obsessed morality - all of which is taught as true when the kids could be learning something useful, or indeed, something true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm sure a lot of people are aware that there are evil priests out there, but they go as it's their religion, and their god. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Catholic Communion is the act of consuming the physical blood and body of a man who died 2000 years ago. The bread and wine are transformed into that by the priest.

Cannabilism then ? amazing they don't hold their hands up to the sky too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wow, just how out of touch you are?

It's very common for opted out students to be told they can't do homework etc. Even catholic bishops have stated that doing study during catholic religion classes gives opted out students an unfair advantage.

Fake news my arse!
    yes Trumpy, it's fake news
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You do know that children of other faiths and no faith are not only not forced, but not permitted to get first Eucharist?

Most of the children doing it would not have any actual religious belief. I doubt that most of their parents would, either...
    Your trying to pretend that the RCC are frogmarching families into the church, when you actually know that that’s not true.

They're pushing this ridiculous event as the norm in over 90% of state funded primary schools, and wasting a great deal of the time of teachers and pupils promoting utter nonsense.
    But that’s entirely voluntary, and so is the dressing up and the party and the gifts, and if the catholic schools and the local clergy want to facilitate that wish for the parents then I really can’t understand what business it is of anyone else?

Putting non-catholic parents in the position of having to explain to their child why he or she isn't getting a party and loads of money like their friends are...

Like everything else in relation to religious instruction, it has no place in schools. Let the parents and the parishes facilitate it outside of school if they want.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

kids now only in it for the money,big payday for them, nothing now is about jesus -what child would mention Jesus at Christmas time their only interested in the presents. Easter is the same and confirmation, not wishing to spoil their childhood and not very holy myself but it is a bit wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wow, it's almost as if the non-theistic festivals of the solar cycle which were appropriated by christianity for their own ends are returning to their original meaning...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

decky1 wrote: »
    kids now only in it for the money,big payday for them, nothing now is about jesus -what child would mention Jesus at Christmas time their only interested in the presents. Easter is the same and confirmation, not wishing to spoil their childhood and not very holy myself but it is a bit wrong.

It's nearly 30 years since I made my communion. It was exactly the same then.

It's nearly 30 years since I made my communion. It was exactly the same then.

yea suppose your right, we were all the same:D

When I made mine, I wasn't thinking about the money

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    When I made mine, I wasn't thinking about the money

but you did get a few bob?

decky1 wrote: »
    but you did get a few bob?

I'd imagine that I did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Are people just not aware that the Catholic Church molested 10's of 1000's of kids around the world and covered it up, or do they just not care?

Why are people cool with kids being molested, especially being parents themselves? And I believe they must be "cool" with it, otherwise why would they voluntarily choose to associate with this very same organisation.

And not only that, a few weeks before their communion, they send their kid into a box with a dirty old man who asks them about all the naught things they've been getting up to lately!! aka 'first confession'. They're 8 - they have nothing to confess to you, ya big weirdo FFS!

Am I the one that's crazy here? Is it okay to molest thousands of kids? People seem cool with it.

Why don't you be a "hero" and burst in some day with an assault rifle and teach them all a lesson ? You seem exactly like the type that do.

MOD: Nobelium has received a yellow card for being uncivil. Do not post in his thread again. If you wish to discuss this take it to PM.

The priests I encountered over the years were very nice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For communion, I knew I didn't believe in god but I didn't really understand what communion was all about. But I knew I got money.
    For confirmation, I can honestly say 100% I did it for the money, no other reason.

From my observations these days, I see most familys as "bouncy castle catholics". They only darken the door of a church for births, deaths, funerals and when they are forced for communion prep. They want their little mary or jimmy dressed up nice on the day and they want them to have a "nice day" and for them to make some money. Its evident that the majority put their belief of god and the importance of the religious event very low on the list of priority's for what they want to do on the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm just jealous of kids these days. i got i think £57 for my communion and £78 for my confirmation (the communion would have been 1983).
    i must work out how that much is with inflation taken into account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i'm just jealous of kids these days. i got i think £57 for my communion and £78 for my confirmation (the communion would have been 1983).

Ah here, that was big bucks back then. Spare a few shekels for an unchristened atheist that never saw a red cent from this whole racket. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I made £300 in 1971 :D

All because I was a poor little girl with no front teeth (I was 6), scabby knees (from playing soccer but for some reason the sight of a plaster above the tortuous white crochet socks was a money spinner ), my Daddy was far far away in Americay (sadly he came back eventually) and I had (could still have...!) an enormous extended family (most of whom I never met before or since).

My Mam said she'd mind most of it for me :(
    She owes me £270. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I made £300 in 1971
    And I made £37 in 1976 - around €250 in today's money - with Bishop Casey as the presiding bish.

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    And I made £37 in 1976 - around €250 in today's money - with Bishop Casey as the presiding bish.

Make of that what you will.

I make it that Me Mam owes me about 4 grand :eek: :mad::mad:

I had Bishop Lucey.
    There is a park named after him now.
    Many many LGBTQ+ festivities take place there.
    He must be spinning in the grave. :P

Advertisement