Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe thunderstorm risk for south then central Leinster, east Munster

• 29-06-2019 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭

Merge with existing thread on heat wave if desired, just wanted to have the orange warning in view.

Front has activated overnight and severe thunderstorms are moving into south Leinster and east Waterford, likely to extend into central Leinster after 0800h.

Main risks are intense and frequent lightning, and flash flooding from locally heavy rainfalls of 20-30 mm. Small hail is possible and wind gusts may become moderate but strong gusts seem rather unlikely.

The activity is moving due north or even slightly west of that to start, then will track more north-northeast later this morning, eventually moving off the east coast altogether. At that point, another frontal trough will begin to activate and there could be locally heavy showers and t'storms moving west to east through north-central counties this afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Watching that moving up on Met Eireann radar. Doubt anyone could sleep through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

RoisinD wrote: »
    Watching that moving up on Met Eireann radar. Doubt anyone could sleep through that.

Your right in Athy and woken 20 mins ago with four of the loudest rumbles I’ve ever heard and about two minutes of torrential rain. All quite now

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Woke me up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Just heard a huge rumble here over D7. Followed by a short shower. It’s stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Looking at Blitzortung, I have never seen so much lightning markers over Ireland before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Similar in north mid kildare loud rumbles and a minute burst of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Similar in north mid kildare loud rumbles and a minute burst of rain

It's just started in Maynooth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Every animal and bird are making a racket with lots of rumbles of thunder in the distance. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Constant thunder, lightning and occasional big hail. Strikes every 5 to 10 seconds at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Lots of rumbles Delvin co Westmeath.
    Going to be a big one I bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

East Cork. I can hear distant rumbles, is this likely to impact us?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What the hell just woke me up??!!

Ok i see now massive orange alert, no biggie, ill just wipe the sleep out of my eyes and go sort kids and dog and frankly wife.

Please include locations with reports for benefit of touch site users.

Long distant rumbles and sporadic bursts of heavy rain just now, Clonee, D15 Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It looks like Cork will be hit too
    Imminent!!

An amazing fork flash, and loud rumble
    Delvin , Co. Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

PS, trending No1 in Ireland on twitter....Stormzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flash dance

Have been hearing distant rumbles getting closer and closer from around 5:45 or so, South Cavan. Just had a nice shower of hail now, rumbles throughout.

So many strike markers on Netweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Persistent rumbles, North Dub.

Sky is messy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Where is this happening overhead now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Dublin airport have obviously changed the flight plans. We rarely get planes over the city and they’re coming over loud and low now one after another under the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Has been pretty severe in Clonmel for the past hour - rain, hail, thunder and lightening. Woke me too!

Still from video,

Delvin
    Co Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just keep it over there please! Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Had a 20 minute spell with a lot of activity here in Kinnegad Co. Westmeath. One really close turned off electricity for a few seconds, then a lot of forked lightning nearby.

Can hear rumbles in the distance now. (Getting louder as I type) Least I won't need to water the plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Woke me up !! Prolonged rumbles of thunder ! I can see the odd few lightning strikes through the cloud but nothing intense on the lightning front . We have had a few sporadic showers also but nothing heavy ,Yet ..... the dogs are going insane here , and I’m hoping it doesn’t get so loud that it wakes the children !
    I can see clearer skies in the distance . How long is this due to last (Waterford ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Dublin airport have obviously changed the flight plans. We rarely get planes over the city and they’re coming over loud and low now one after another under the clouds.

Every one of them flying over my house for the last half an hour which never happens. Finglas.

Noise of the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Arklow area atm looking due south

.201c2ce1cf73c3e2f9f4a45761c309a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Thewife wrote: »
    Woke me up !! Prolonged rumbles of thunder ! I can see the odd few lightning strikes through the cloud but nothing intense on the lightning front . We have had a few sporadic showers also but nothing heavy ,Yet ..... the dogs are going insane here , and I’m hoping it doesn’t get so loud that it wakes the children !
    I can see clearer skies in the distance . How long is this due to last (Waterford ) ?

Ditto in North Kildare. Nothing particularly special apart from the initial few flashes and bangs - just the odd distant flash and rumble but nothing frequent enough to keep me looking out the window. Rain pepped up for about a minute so the ground is now wet......it's that lame!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

All quiet now in D22. Is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was short lived and rather disappointing, a few rumbles of thunder and a few decent flashes of lightening, and its moved north, rain wasn't even heavy either

County Meath.

Advertisement