Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lots of late flights.

• 27-06-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Had a cargo flight fly overhead quite low tonight and went in fr 24 to check what it was. I noticed a lot of flights from south of Spain and canaries are still in their way up. Appears to have been big delays. Anyone know what happened

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I only see like two significant delays, this time of year it’s to be expected, a combination of ATC enroute slot restrictions and airlines maximising their fleets for the summer peak id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Yep summer schedule kicking in , peak season lots of late flights out of the sun destinations just back at base in time for a bit of light maint and ready for first wave departures back to the sun in the AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Aer Lingus summer schedule sees them get as much as they can out of their fleet and that means plenty of flights from summer sun locations arriving back at base up to 02:00.

Ryanair do it to a lesser extent.

Nothing unusual about that at this time of the year.

Most were on time or slight delays last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my flight to athens with aegean in august takes off at midnight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

my flight to athens with aegean in august takes off at midnight :(

Again it’s asset sweating. Getting the most out of the aircraft.

Personally I avoid those kind of flights with a barge pole but there’s always a market for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Personally I'm rather entertained by the fact that FR now quotes punctuality statistics "excluding ATC". It's kind of like how they used to quote flight prices exclusive of taxes and charges.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Currently sitting on the tarmac on EI506 to BOD. Doors closed in good time for 12.55 departure. Captain then announces a 50 minute delay due to ATC restrictions which is a bit of a nuisance for all. Congestion is clearly a problem today also causing delayed departures

veetwin wrote: »
    Currently sitting on the tarmac on EI506 to BOD. Doors closed in good time for 12.55 departure. Captain then announces a 50 minute delay due to ATC restrictions which is a bit of a nuisance for all. Congestion is clearly a problem today also causing delayed departures

Hate to say it but this is going to be the future of short haul flying in Europe!

Noxegon wrote: »
    Personally I'm rather entertained by the fact that FR now quotes punctuality statistics "excluding ATC". It's kind of like how they used to quote flight prices exclusive of taxes and charges.

You’re joking!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

What do they consider to be "excluding ATC"? 15-45min taxi in Dublin depending on runway in use? Delay in pushing back due congestion on the ramp? TOBT versus TSAT delays?

That sort of stuff used to be allowed for in the block time. Slots are a separate issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"The plane saw France once and now any delays are due to strike threats"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I had an identical experience on my Aer Lingus flight to London at 12.55. Boarded on time, seats taken, doors closed since 12.45. Identical excuse given too. It finally started taxiing at around 13.45 and because of a queue, it didn't take off until 14.15! I was bursting by the time the seatbelt light was turned off.

The pleasure is really gone out of air travel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In Dublin thesedays this is usually due to a long line of planes taxiing and waiting to take off. It is a dreadful airport now for departure delays.

In Dublin thesedays this is usually due to a long line of planes taxiing and waiting to take off. It is a dreadful airport now for departure delays.

Tbh that sounds more like an en-route slot, while Dublin is heavily congested and fairly inefficient you’re never held on stand that long due to airfield congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In Malaga today. Massive queue for passport control. 40 minutes. Then Ryanair changed the gate we were boarding from. The area were this gate was wasnt even open. Eventually we got to wait on corridor for about 30 minutes. No updates on what was happening. Take off was an hour late and then had to wait for a place for the plane to park in Dublin

whelan2 wrote: »
    In Malaga today. Massive queue for passport control. 40 minutes. Then Ryanair changed the gate we were boarding from. The area were this gate was wasnt even open. Eventually we got to wait on corridor for about 30 minutes. No updates on what was happening. Take off was an hour late and then had to wait for a place for the plane to park in Dublin
    Welcome to summer flying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

In fairness DUB wasn’t that congested at that time, I was closely monitoring departures and I think the problem was with enroute clearance. While we were taxiing out there was only one 320 ahead of us. Though we we took off nearly an hour late we got to BOD 20 minutes later than scheduled. Currently enjoying a red wine in 25 degrees so all good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I had an identical experience on my Aer Lingus flight to London at 12.55. Boarded on time, seats taken, doors closed since 12.45. Identical excuse given too. It finally started taxiing at around 13.45 and because of a queue, it didn't take off until 14.15! I was bursting by the time the seatbelt light was turned off.

The pleasure is really gone out of air travel now.

Whether they like it or not I’d have gotten up and went to the toilet. I always sit near the toilet for this very reason. If I need to go I need to go.

adam88 wrote: »
    Whether they like it or not I’d have gotten up and went to the toilet. I always sit near the toilet for this very reason. If I need to go I need to go.

That’s grand, go during the delay, but when the aircraft is taxing to the runway the toilets will be locked and you will not be allowed enter. There has to be a cut off where the captain is informed the cabin is secure for take off. If people are up and down using the toilet the captain had to be informed and the takeoff delayed, causing disruption and more delay for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's fairly easy to see how they're locked/unlocked but expect to get in actual legal trouble if you do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Locker10a wrote: »
    Tbh that sounds more like an en-route slot, while Dublin is heavily congested and fairly inefficient you’re never held on stand that long due to airfield congestion

Never say never! My flight was held on stand today for 30 minutes to push back and join the queue of 18 heading to the holding point, no slot, no delays, on-time EOBT/TOBT and TSAT, the 30 minutes were solely down to ATC unable to push it due to the congestion at the holding point, we weren’t the only ones either.
    Same happened 3 days ago, held on stand due to congestion, in a queue to push and then a queue to join the congestion.
    Dublin ATC is gone beyond a joke at this stage, they really need to up their game and start hounding the IAA for reduced separation etc etc.

whelan2 wrote: »

Ryanair don’t change the gate, the airline don’t have a say in which gate/stand the aircraft will arrive/depart from, this is all decided by the local ATC/ground operators, would be really great from a staff point of view that pax could actually understand that. The staff are just as annoyed about it as the pax are as it usually means shutting down systems already started up, moving ground equipment, relocating pax, doing announcements that no-one listens to etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It's interesting how much of the discussion here is about the departure process. An equal number of arrivals also have to be managed. For much of the day Dublin operates on the basis of alternating between landings and takeoffs and generally this is tightly managed. Airfield configuration limits the options for multiple holding points, which might allow more opportunities to get some aircraft away more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I would disagree. Its not "tightly managed" nor is it professional. 7nm separation is in no way tight. How far down the runway does the landing aircraft have to be before sleepyhead gives the next aircraft line up clearance then asks for "be ready immediate". Go arounds when traffic are within 2.5-3nm - come on that is amateur stuff. We regularly land at airports where we get land after clearances, also late landing clearances at a few hundred feet as we are coming over the runway threshold. Big boy/girl stuff not the amateur hour in Dublin.

And don't get me started about the arrivals process where the left hand isn't talking to the right hand. Track mileages? Can we expect to do the arc etc? And how many times do I get told to do the same arrival by the various approach controllers. What the hell else was I going to do? In fact if you just cleared me for the damn thing in the first place and told me to descend in accordance with it then guess what we would all do. Again thats what happens in most other airports in the world. 230kts with over 100 track miles whilst we are still in Scottish/London airspace is just amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Is there a reason why dual departures does not continue throughout the day on a calm westerly day?

Also when 10 is in use, surely an ATR / Dash 8 / Avro can use S7 (I think 2nd last turn off / entry point). Use a follow after the arriving aircraft lands, lining both the larger at the normal point (S8) and the smaller at S7.

Then The smaller aircraft departs asap, takes an early right turn and then get the larger away behind him with a usual departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

billie1b wrote: »
    Ryanair don’t change the gate, the airline don’t have a say in which gate/stand the aircraft will arrive/depart from, this is all decided by the local ATC/ground operators,c.
    Gates are assigned by the airport operator, based on what the airline has contracted them to provide.
    ATC have no input in stand allocation, they mearly relay the assigned stand.

Ryanair will have a contract with the relevant airport which stipulates which stands they can use.
    Typically the fewest frills possible. Ah Shure a little drop of rain never harmed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’m surprised Ryanair and Aer Lingus in particular , accept the pathetic farce that Dublin airport runs! Why don’t they have far less “separation”? What impact will this new runway have on the kip ?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’m surprised Ryanair and Aer Lingus in particular , accept the pathetic farce that Dublin airport runs! Why don’t they have far less “separation”? What impact will this new runway have on the kip ?

Yeah I can’t believe Ryanair aren’t hounding the IAA for better efficiency with air traffic management. Must be an agreement re:fees, keep it cheap, even if that means it remains archaic.

• Advertisement

Gates are assigned by the airport operator, based on what the airline has contracted them to provide.
    ATC have no input in stand allocation, they mearly relay the assigned stand.

Ryanair will have a contract with the relevant airport which stipulates which stands they can use.
    Typically the fewest frills possible. Ah Shure a little drop of rain never harmed anyone.

The ground controls, ie-The Pod in Dublin assign the gates, with no input from Ryanair, all the Pod know is that Ryanair are contracted to the 100 and 200 gates in Dublin and the Pod allocate them, when a gate is changed it’s down to the Pod due to the original stand being held up, works in progress, or multiple other situations. They change it and then contact Ryanairs station to let them know of the change, your flight could be boarding from gate 106 in Dublin and be changed to gate 212 within minutes of the boarding time, this is not done by Ryanair and we can only do with what the Pod assign us.
    Using Dublin as an example there but it’s the same for most airports.

Advertisement