Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dyke Road could become €200m new urban centre?

Options
  • 26-06-2019 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts? Seems realistic, waste of 4 acres of prime land to be used as mostly car parking.

Link.

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A newly published feasibility study says the Dyke Road could be transformed into a major urban development worth €200m that would alter the city centre skyline

The study on the area owned by the City Council – which currently houses the Black Box theatre and a car park – has been presented at City Hall

The 4.5 acre site at Dyke Road is primarily a 535 space car-park, with the Black Box Theatre sited on one acre at the north end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rare bog, rattling bog, bog down in the valley O ...

Seriously folks, officials are breaking in a new batch of city councillors. Show 'em the most-shocking proposal first, and everything else will look good by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it shocking? It makes perfect sense to me. A surface car park on a 4 acre site in the city centre could be put to far better use. You could even retain the parking spaces on a minute space of that site by having a multi-storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm getting deja vu. Wasn't this proposed before? I seem to remember the swampy ground being the issue. Not sure it can handle any large scale developments. There's also quite a nice green space area there at the moment that would be a shame to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm getting deja vu. Wasn't this proposed before? I seem to remember the swampy ground being the issue. Not sure it can handle any large scale developments. There's also quite a nice green space area there at the moment that would be a shame to lose.

Your right - has been proposed before.
    Is what been proposed here for the existing footprint of the Dyke Road Car Park and the Blackbox though?

Is what been proposed here for the existing footprint of the Dyke Road Car Park and the Blackbox though?

Hard to tell from the article where they're talking about. I can't see them getting rid of the Black Box or the car park though. GCC love their parking spots.

• Advertisement

GCC love their parking spots.
    They are addicted to them alright.

The previous proposal was for a new central library and cultural space I think.

The site is boggy but probably nothing that cant be overcome - for reference the retail park buildings and lampposts beside it seem fine- the car park in the middle has sank though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The previous proposal was for a new central library and cultural space I think.

The site is boggy but probably nothing that cant be overcome - for reference the retail park buildings and lampposts beside it seem fine- the car park in the middle has sank though.

A new library would be great! The Galway City library is a little too centrally located.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    A new library would be great! The Galway City library is a little too centrally located.
    You know there's ones in Westside and Ballybane too?

Eh, how can something be too central?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hard to tell from the article where they're talking about. I can't see them getting rid of the Black Box or the car park though. GCC love their parking spots.
    It's the car park and black box site as far I could make out from the Galway Daily article on FB yesterday. Went into more detail than the GBFM one.

Is it shocking? It makes perfect sense to me. A surface car park on a 4 acre site in the city centre could be put to far better use. You could even retain the parking spaces on a minute space of that site by having a multi-storey.

Apparently our newly-minted city councillors did indeed find it shocking (as I suspect they were meant to).

Read all about it: https://galwaydaily.com/news/councillors-react-furiously-to-commercial-proposals-for-dyke-road-site/

"
    There were two detailed proposals contained in the presentation, the first of which contained 384 bed spaces of student accommodation, 11,915 sq ft dedicated to office space, ground floor retail, a 145 bed hotel, and 544 multi storey parking spaces.

The second proposal encompassed student accommodation with 408 bed spaces, 22,380 sq ft dedicated to office space, ground floor retail, a 138 bed hotel and 485 parking spaces.
    "
    They are car park junkies.

Most people would crucify them for building without adequate parking. Some do so for providing it at all. They can't win.

Here's a question: how many bicycle parks per unit should be allocated for an apartment complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dyke Road is a flood plain with 176 km² of water, to it's north west.
    'would be reckless to build on it.

Most people would crucify them for building without adequate parking. Some do so for providing it at all. They can't win.

Here's a question: how many bicycle parks per unit should be allocated for an apartment complex?
    No - its the location that is the issue. Park and Ride Car is the way forward for Galway City. Dyke Road is City Centre now

Re apartment complex bike parking. Roughly 50% of the bed spaces would be adequate.
    So
    384 bed spaces = 192 = Which is roughly space used for 38-40 cars
    408 bed spaces = 204 = Which is roughly space used for 40-42 cars

No - its the location that is the issue. Park and Ride Car is the way forward for Galway City. Dyke Road is City Centre now

Re apartment complex bike parking. Roughly 50% of the bed spaces would be adequate.
    So
    384 bed spaces = 192 = Which is roughly space used for 38-40 cars
    408 bed spaces = 204 = Which is roughly space used for 40-42 cars

Agree that Park and Ride should be the way forward. But it needs to be implemented first - not after we build city centre facilities with no parking - which will be hard to lease because potential tenants are worried about not getting customers due to no parking! Also, there are some people who will need on-site parking: no one's going to drive their disabled granny from Mervue out to a park and ride site in Carnmore so that she can get a p&r bus to the cinema in Terryland. Or their three pre-school kids, most likely.

Actually the Terryland bit is interesting too: it's not city-centre. I've been dropped there at 11pm a couple of times, coming back from events. I feel safe walking around most of the city-centre at night - but from Dyke Rd, I've always asked a friend to drop me in to town.

If the target is to provide bicycle parking for half of all residents, then I guess you'd expect to provide car-parking for the other half? At an average of two people and one car per household, for 400 bed-spaces, that would be space for 100 cars just for residents. (The fly in that ointment is that people keep telling me that most cyclists are also car-drivers: so I'm not sure if straight substitution works.) Plus some space needs to be allocated for delivery vehicles (eg supermarket delivery vans) and other visitors (eg homecare workers).

Agree that Park and Ride should be the way forward. But it needs to be implemented first - not after we build city centre facilities with no parking - which will be hard to lease because potential tenants are worried about not getting customers due to no parking! Also, there are some people who will need on-site parking: no one's going to drive their disabled granny from Mervue out to a park and ride site in Carnmore so that she can get a p&r bus to the cinema in Terryland.

hundreds of businesses in the city center and the hundreds of thousands of customers annually manage fine without parking provided by said businesses

Walking a bit to the shops is not that big of a deal

As for those with disabilities, they manage fine too, I speak from personal experience

Agree that Park and Ride should be the way forward. But it needs to be implemented first - not after we build city centre facilities with no parking - which will be hard to lease because potential tenants are worried about not getting customers due to no parking! Also, there are some people who will need on-site parking: no one's going to drive their disabled granny from Mervue out to a park and ride site in Carnmore so that she can get a p&r bus to the cinema in Terryland. Or their three pre-school kids, most likely.

Actually the Terryland bit is interesting too: it's not city-centre. I've been dropped there at 11pm a couple of times, coming back from events. I feel safe walking around most of the city-centre at night - but from Dyke Rd, I've always asked a friend to drop me in to town.

If the target is to provide bicycle parking for half of all residents, then I guess you'd expect to provide car-parking for the other half? At an average of two people and one car per household, for 400 bed-spaces, that would be space for 100 cars just for residents. (The fly in that ointment is that people keep telling me that most cyclists are also car-drivers: so I'm not sure if straight substitution works.) Plus some space needs to be allocated for delivery vehicles (eg supermarket delivery vans) and other visitors (eg homecare workers).

So many tangents in your analysis.
    Whats with Granny in Mervue and flys in ointments?
    Dyke Road is not Terryland. Its closer to Woodquay. It will be City Centre as the Core City expands.
    NO idea what target for bicycle parking will be, but would have no issue with 50% car park for residents; not clear if the multistory is for them at all though? Problem with multistory car parking for them is that it will substantially increase the cost of the apartments.

Any movement on this feasibility study from two years ago?

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Any movement on this feasibility study from two years ago?

Have not heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

The more centrally located the library the better especially for elderly users.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The more centrally located the library the better especially for elderly users.

The Dyke Rd site was ruled out for the library, for engineering reasons. (The weight of the books on a bogland site.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The Dyke Rd site was ruled out for the library, for engineering reasons. (The weight of the books on a bogland site.)

That doesn't sound right.

The LDA say https://lda.ie/projects/dyke-road-galway/

The LDA is currently driving projects that will yield thousands of social, affordable and private homes. The Agency is constantly seeking to add to its portfolio

Advertisement