Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rifle cleaning kit?

• 26-06-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Right guys.

Supposing a Lad was just starting off or someone wanted to get rid of some of the crap he bought because he heard it was the next best thing for everything,
    what would be your list of "essential" equipment and oils/solvents etc that you must have to clean the rifle.
    Hunting rifle now, never to be on a range or competition or anything like that. .223 foxing mainly.

A back to basics kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

A spray can of gun cleaning oil. I use Brunox.

A roll of fine rag material for patches.

A wooden rod kit with brush attachments.

A bore snake.

That's the basic kit I use and it keeps my rifle and shotgun spotless.

I also use dehumidifier kits in the safe to keep the moisture out. Replace every couple of months.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

One piece cleaning rod. Stay away from 2/3/4 piece rods. I have:
    • Bore Tech
    • ProShot
    • Tipton
    Next on the list would the cleaning products. For rimfires there is no need for harsh solvents as the rounds contain no copper to cause serious fouling.

I use KG1 carbon removal and when i can get it BoreTech Rimfire Solution. Then oil it thoroughly with Young's gun oil and Brunox.

For centrefire rifles you need the oils but also some solvents to remove the copper fouling. I use:
    • Butch's Boreshine
    • M-pro 7
    • KG 12
    • KG1
    • Forrest Foam
    Then the Young's & Brunox oils followed by Meth spirits to finish the clean.

A "vital" piece of kit (IMO) is a bore guide. They are not overly expensive but provide a good deal of protection to your chamber when cleaning.

Next for rifle would be the attachments for your cleaning rod. I use:
    • Jag (for your patches) suitable to the caliber
    • Nylon brush (to agitate the fouling)
    • Mop (to polish after all is done)
    Lastly a bag of patches of proper size depending on the caliber you use.

I do this for all my rifles regardless of their function. When i clean my rifle i want it clean an not just wiped. Otherwise i putting more fouling on an improperly cleaned barrel.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

An old cotton t-shirt, a tin of Youngs 303, a 3 inch wooden toggle and a yard of butchers twine with two loops stitched into both ends. Do you for everything from a .22 to 12 Gauges.

Thats as back to basics as you can get. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tikka391

Thanks for the reply guys.

Advertisement