Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with gun clothes

• 13-06-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Just came back from a trip in Dubrovnik, and when in the airport security, a guy swabbed my hand and clothes.
    I asked him what it was for and he declined to advise, but I googled the machine he used later, and it is for explosives and munitions.(nitrates)

Just mentioning, as it might be useful to carry your permits on holidays in case some residue is on your clothes/watches, wallet...whatever, and you need to explain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

slipperyox wrote: »
    Just came back from a trip in Dubrovnik, and when in the airport security, a guy swabbed my hand and clothes.
    I asked him what it was for and he declined to advise, but I googled the machine he used later, and it is for explosives and munitions.(nitrates)

Just mentioning, as it might be useful to carry your permits on holidays in case some residue is on your clothes/watches, wallet...whatever, and you need to explain

You do not need to explain why there might be residue on your clothes...it is not illegal to use a licenced firearm on an authorised range or hunting in any country, and you are fully intitled to an answer as to what you are been swabbed for.
    A licence in one country is not valid in another one...the only thing that might br of use is a EFP...which is a European Firearm Pass...but you are not obliged to carry this without the firearms .

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I've been swabbed a few times with positive results and they just wave you on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It's all about concentrations so dont worry any they closed Gitmo...ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Leave your cheddar cheese and curry powder at home mind.It shows up as plastic explosive on the scanners.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

You do not need to explain why there might be residue on your clothes...it is not illegal to use a licenced firearm on an authorised range or hunting in any country, and you are fully intitled to an answer as to what you are been swabbed for.
    A licence in one country is not valid in another one...the only thing that might br of use is a EFP...which is a European Firearm Pass...but you are not obliged to carry this without the firearms .

Just putting it out there. And no, you are not entitled to all answers from security.

And, when the security of of an aircraft is at stake in the current times, you do need to explain, especially depending on the country you are in. Some places aint going to take libtarded statements like "my rights":p

There is a different swab machine for drug traces btw.

• Advertisement

slipperyox wrote: »
    Just putting it out there. And no, you are not entitled to all answers from security.

And, when the security of of an aircraft is at stake in the current times, you do need to explain, especially depending on the country you are in. Some places aint going to take libtarded statements like "my rights":p

There is a different swab machine for drug traces btw.

Firstly I never used the expression "All" answers from security, however you are swabbed at your consent and as such you are Fully entitled to ask what you are been swabbed for...
    This is a fully relevant question because as has been previously explained many legal products contain nitrates and it may help answer any questions regarding test results that may come back as positive.
    I have travelled on occasion with firearm residue on my person and if I was been swabbed or about to be, I asked what I was been swabbed for...was told ...and informed them what they may find...and why....nothing to do with " my rights"...just common sense ...nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I can't speak for countries where that type of security tasks are looked after by law enforcement in some shape or form but in the likes of Dublin, Cork and Shannon security staff has no powers of detention or search or the likes.

It's all based on a consent and your voluntary compliance with procedure as a condition of being admitted to the secure area of the airport and an airplane.

If you don't comply you can be refused entry as you aren't upholding your side of the agreement you entered when you bought your ticket.

If you do this with a bit too much bravado and stupidity chances are security staff will call airport police or Gardai and from there on there can be criminal consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I can't speak for countries where that type of security tasks are looked after by law enforcement in some shape or form but in the likes of Dublin, Cork and Shannon security staff has no powers of detention or search or the likes.

I could be completely wrong on this but my Dad was 30+ years in Airport security but they can infact arrest/search/detain a person (id imagine if they didnt then either customs or AGS would have to be there at the airport. A quick google will give the Airport Bye-Laws.

Id imagine the Temp/seasonal staff checking baggage don't have this power but the Airport Police do.

I could be completely wrong on this but my Dad was 30+ years in Airport security but they can infact arrest/search/detain a person (id imagine if they didnt then either customs or AGS would have to be there at the airport. A quick google will give the Airport Bye-Laws.

Id imagine the Temp/seasonal staff checking baggage don't have this power but the Airport Police do.

The Airport Police are not impowered as officers of the law, they do not have the authority to arrest anyone, they have search and detain powers the same as any other certified Security firm.
    The name Police often is bandied about, the "Airport Police" is the name given to the DAA security services, not that long ago they were shared services with the Airport Fire Services.
    Mind you a few of those security guys do have a bit of a " Power Ego" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

I work in the airport and have yet to flag any tests for residue.
    And I'm going airside alot with a high rate of random testing.

Love a good swab these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The Airport Police are "Authorised Officers" under the Airports and Aviation Acts 1936 to 2014 and as such have full policing powers within the State airports.

The Harbour Police has the power of arrest under Section 59 of the Harbours Act 1996 [1], to arrest persons in connection with offences under the Act, 

Advertisement