Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend cafe/place for sandwich

• 24-06-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

I know theres the x in the city thread but that's a mix of everything. Is there any recommendations for best coffee/sandwich type place in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Depends what you're looking for really. Tartare is excellent but not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

McCambridge's for your everyday decent sandwich/roll. Gourmet Tart in town do great salads/wraps and have a lot of ingredients other places don't. Coffee work + press do nice coffee.

Delight in Renmore. A little bit out from the city center.

Coco cafe is a good place. Its a my go-to for avoiding fast food. They'll have a delicious omlette whipped up for you in a jiffy

There's a tiny little cafe on Kirwan Lane, Kirwan Cafe I think it's called, great coffee in there

The g Counter in Wellpark is a nice spot for a bite before the cinema

Unfortunately that's the extent of places I'm willing to mention. I've been to probably 20+ cafés around the city but most have one or more of the following problems

1. Wayyyyy over priced for what they are offering

2. Terribly trained staff

3. Pretentious a f

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

DaCor wrote: »
    Coco cafe is a good place. Its a my go-to for avoiding fast food. They'll have a delicious omlette whipped up for you in a jiffy

There's a tiny little cafe on Kirwan Lane, Kirwan Cafe I think it's called, great coffee in there

The g Counter in Wellpark is a nice spot for a bite before the cinema

Unfortunately that's the extent of places I'm willing to mention. I've been to probably 20+ cafés around the city but most have one or more of the following problems

1. Wayyyyy over priced for what they are offering

2. Terribly trained staff

3. Pretentious a f

If that’s coco cafe across the road from Debenhams you are talking about, then it’s now the sitting duck cafe which is pretty good and has also opened a unit out in Salthill.
    Usual spots I head for in Galway are any of the Mocha beans cafes or pascals. Grand for sambos, light bites and coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Tried Papa'z the other week - best sandwiches we ever got in Galway ..... all home made and the cheesecake was to die for. It is located in Middle Street where Vina Mara used to be ....

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Matts Sandwiches - it's out of town, opposite the AIB Bank on Newcastle Road - just down from the Circle K at the start of Quincentennial Bridge. A great range of sandwiches, fantastic coffee and Matt is a lovely person - no BS attitude that you can get in some places.

Also Badger and Dodo cafe - just up the road from the coach station, next to the Revenue offices/Galmont Hotel.They also have great sandwiches/coffee - use top quality sourdough bread. I'm very fussy about coffee and bread and these two are definitely the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tartare is a bit fancier and more expensive, but the sandwiches are very good in my opinion https://tartaregalway.ie/

McCambridge's do some very nice take-away sandwiches too.

Spar on Mainguard Street has some pretty nice sandwiches if you're on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Grind on Merchants's Road is v. good as well. Excellent coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gerona in Abbeygate St. does some interesting sandwiches and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Papaz bistro on middle street ! Best lunch out I've had in quite a while-

Lively decor, staff a bonus too

For a takeaway sandwich/roll Wards deli on university road is always a good option, usually try to take a drive over there and pick up roll once a week at lunch if I can queues can be significant if you arrive at the wrong time though.

Advertisement