Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    Ok great! I had a similar problem with my older boy back in 2017 and incarsafety told me to turn TWE forward in the end!
    I have the old ones that go up to 25kg forward.

I used to put fleece on after harnessed in the cabriofix. It only has 3 point harness so I could do that.....how do I put on hoodie after closing a 5 point harness?

My guy is only 13kg and in 18-24 month clothes.

I’ve never done it myself, but always seen it suggested. Thinking about it, it would probably only work with clothes with buttons rather than a zip

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He is 2 and you have him facing backwards so he can't see you?

I didn't get to 1 before I had to move mine around.....they got moved into the forward facing and that meant they could see us but also they can see out, not sure how you kept a 2 year old this long looking into a seat

Clearly you have never heard of extended rear facing! It’s becoming quite common. It’s 5 times safer than forward facing. Forward facing before 1 is foolish in my opinion. But then again my 5 yo is rear facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If I had my 4 year old in a rear facing I would have to chop both legs off......

You really wouldn’t, kids sit in all sorts of ways at the best of times and are so much more flexible than adults. They’re perfectly comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Have to agree and while I know each to their own. My lil one is rear facing at 13 months and while her legs are slightly bent and her feet touching the rear seat, she is comfortable and happy in that position and the safety that rear facing gives is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If I had my 4 year old in a rear facing I would have to chop both legs off......

You actually wouldn't. I suggest you join the fb page for the extended rear facing In Ireland. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My girl will be rear facing past 4 all going well. She is 18 months now and happy to rear face, I dont know why anyone would need to turn a child less than a year old forward facing. The thoughts of it give me chills. Its so much safer to rear face.

This is the fb page. It really is a wealth of knowledge and expertise when it comes to car seats and advice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We turned our 360 spin forward when my lad turned four last january. He insisted on being turned back because his legs were uncomfortable! He's only turned fully now because he's graduated seats into a HBB as the new baby is using the 360

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are after losing another besafe clip :( My guy pulled it off and put it somewhere. My car has 3 individual seats across the back so presume it is in between seats :(
    I am after ordering the houdini stop as apparently it works well on the TWE. It has apparently been tested somewhere not sure where!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

We turned our 360 spin forward when my lad turned four last january. He insisted on being turned back because his legs were uncomfortable! He's only turned fully now because he's graduated seats into a HBB as the new baby is using the 360

I've heard that, there is pain when their legs are dangling so its actually comfier to rear face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lashes34 wrote: »
    I've heard that, there is pain when their legs are dangling so its actually comfier to rear face.

Yeah. And he was given the choice a few times. Always went with backwards. He tends to cross his now even in the FF high back booster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Hi all. Looking for some advice. We have two kids, 11 month old and 27 month old. 27 month old is approx 20kg, not sure of his height, approx 36 inches or there abouts. He is currently in one of the joie rotating, rear facing seats. His sister has basically outgrown her little seat so we will have to move her into something. Would we be best to just buy another of the same or get a new one for himself and pop her into his exisiting one? Want to keep both RF for as long as possible. Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hi all. Looking for some advice. We have two kids, 11 month old and 27 month old. 27 month old is approx 20kg, not sure of his height, approx 36 inches or there abouts. He is currently in one of the joie rotating, rear facing seats. His sister has basically outgrown her little seat so we will have to move her into something. Would we be best to just buy another of the same or get a new one for himself and pop her into his exisiting one? Want to keep both RF for as long as possible. Tia.

I’m guessing it’s the Joie Spin? Which has a max weight of 18kg so you need to get him a new seat ASAP. Some RF seats with a 25kg limit are the Axkid Minikid which is a brilliant seat (I have 2) but expensive, the Axkid Move is a more budget friendly version of the Minikid without the bells and whistles. The Britax Two Way Elite is another budget friendly option but has to brace the seat in front of it.

I suspect your older child has outgrown the Joie if it’s the 360 as that is only suitable to 18kg. I would buy a 25kg limit seat for your older child and put the younger one in the Joie. 25kg seats like the Axkid Minikid, Axkid Move, Diono Radian, Britax Two Way Elite, Britax Max way. It depends on your car which will work best so I suggest going to a shop like Tony Kealy’s, Mumnme, Kool Kids or somewhere similar that seem to push rear facing. Avoid Mothercare, Smyth’s, Halfords etc

Totally agree...it depends on your car. I have those stupid underfloor storage boxes :(

Is his weight definitely correct? Has he always been off the charts? I only ask because my three and a half year old was weighed a couple of weeks ago, and he was 19.5kg, and is 98th centile for weight, so 20kg at that age sounds a little off.

Either way though, a 25kg seat is the way to go for your older child. I also have a minikid (well I have two, but only one in use currently unfortunately), and I have a britax two way elite, which is grand as a second seat. Would also recommend going somewhere where you can try a few in your car to see what suits!

Thanks folks. We are going this weekend to get a new one so will head to keelys.

Got me weights wrong :o, hes actually just over 15kg. Still, little one has defo outgrown hers so we will have to get something anyway.

Got me weights wrong :o, hes actually just over 15kg. Still, little one has defo outgrown hers so we will have to get something anyway.

I’d still say get the older lad a 25kg seat and put the baby in the Joie. You’ll never regret having bought a 25kg seat. The Minikid is great as it has an adjustable headrest so once the baby is 9kg you could use the seat for both kids interchangeably with no adjustment necessary. I didn’t think this would be something I would need but it turns out it is.

Anyone familiar with this one?

Dunno if its available over here.

https://bestcarseathub.com/reviews/graco-4ever-all-in-one/

This one either.

https://tonykealys.com/diono-radian-5-black-mist.html?___store=ie

• Advertisement

Is the Graco one American? If so it wouldn’t meet European safety standards.

The Diono radian is a good seat. RF to 25kg and recommended on the RF Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Looking for your advise please , my little guy is nearly 9kg now and I need to get him a new car seat . The only trouble is I would need a one that turns as I have medical issues that cause me a lot of pain and it’s so hard getting him in and out . Does anyone have a recommendation for a seat that won’t break the bank ?? Thanks

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Looking for your advise please , my little guy is nearly 9kg now and I need to get him a new car seat . The only trouble is I would need a one that turns as I have medical issues that cause me a lot of pain and it’s so hard getting him in and out . Does anyone have a recommendation for a seat that won’t break the bank ?? Thanks
    Does your seat not go up to 13kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

It does but he’s really tall and i Just find it so hard to get him in and out of the car , so the one that rotates would be so much easier

It does but he’s really tall and i Just find it so hard to get him in and out of the car , so the one that rotates would be so much easier

Is he heavy as well as tall? The rotating seats are all 18kg seats, so if he’s tall and heavy he’ll outgrow that quite early, and you’ll end up buying another.
    The joie spin is one of the more cost effective swivel seats.
    Of note, some of the 25kg rear facing seats have quite low sides, so it’s very easy to get baby in and out even without the rotate feature

Is he heavy as well as tall? The rotating seats are all 18kg seats, so if he’s tall and heavy he’ll outgrow that quite early, and you’ll end up buying another.
    The joie spin is one of the more cost effective swivel seats.
    Of note, some of the 25kg rear facing seats have quite low sides, so it’s very easy to get baby in and out even without the rotate feature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi all,

we have a 7mth old that we're thinking about her next car seat. She wont be in the next size for another few months, but theres a few deals on which is why we are thinking about it at the moment. However we are thinking of moving the baby into the toddlers seat (recaro zero) and getting the new seat for the toddler. We've had a look but have no idea what to get the toddler.

Shes 3 since august, 14kg and roughly 86cm so tiny for her age. From what i can see a group 1-2-3 seat would be best for her all things considered. Shes still rear facing in the recaro, and i would like to keep her rear facing for as long as possible, but it doesnt seem that the group 1-2-3s are rear facing. The seat must fit an opel astra, which doesnt have the top anchor (?) (the ones where the belt reaches into the boot).

Has anyone any suggestions of what would be a good option? Our budget is basically whatever is the safest, quality seat.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi all,

we have a 7mth old that we're thinking about her next car seat. She wont be in the next size for another few months, but theres a few deals on which is why we are thinking about it at the moment. However we are thinking of moving the baby into the toddlers seat (recaro zero) and getting the new seat for the toddler. We've had a look but have no idea what to get the toddler.

Shes 3 since august, 14kg and roughly 86cm so tiny for her age. From what i can see a group 1-2-3 seat would be best for her all things considered. Shes still rear facing in the recaro, and i would like to keep her rear facing for as long as possible, but it doesnt seem that the group 1-2-3s are rear facing. The seat must fit an opel astra, which doesnt have the top anchor (?) (the ones where the belt reaches into the boot).

Has anyone any suggestions of what would be a good option? Our budget is basically whatever is the safest, quality seat.

The 1-2-3 seats don’t rear face. But in fairness, a decent high back booster doesn’t cost the earth, so when the time comes it’s not the end of the world to have to buy one. you could buy a 25kg seat, depending on fit and your car. I have an axkid minikid, it’s a great seat. Your daughter is small- it would probably last her until secondary school, lol! I had trouble keeping my middle boy rear facing after 3 and a half, the rows were just too much for me and he was like Houdini, so not that safe at all really.
    All the harnessed seats >18kg that forward face need a top tether. That said, over four, over 15kg and forward facing, I think your child is safer with a seat belt than a harness anyhow

I have the Axkid minikid in an Opel Astra and the Move would work as well.

• Advertisement

Can't recommend this fb group enough. They are a wealth of info on car seats and ERF.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/

Advertisement