Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protection for A2W unit

• 22-06-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

I have started building and will be installing an A2W heat pump. I have been looking at the various installations and the units are always outside with no protection from the elements. Has anyone seen these installed with, or indeed installed any cover / protection, from the elements. Say a "shed" with plenty of ventilation built around the unit. This would keep the worst of the rain (or snowhttps://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.png) from the unit which could only help to prolong its life.

Am I way off on this, do they have to be installed as is without any enclosure to ensure proper operating conditions.

I think it would also be a benefit to the aesthetic if you could 'hide' the unit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It needs high volume of air. Putting an enclosure around it’s own enclosure just inhibits that flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Locate it so that there is lots of room underneath for the ice that will form when temp is below 0C

It wont like snow - generally this means sheltering it from NE N NW winds.

Some manufacturers offer snow hoods as an optional extra ( I've never seem one in use in Ireland )

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

Thanks guys, surely a simple louvred cover would allow enough air flow while giving some protection and better aesthetics? I had a quick google and saw the following, http://www.varmepumpehus.com/Main-EN.html and no I am not affiliated with them or a distributor. I just think that it looks like a really good idea unless it has a significant impact on performance but I cant see that although I am not an engineer so maybe this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

bajj wrote: »
    Thanks guys, surely a simple louvred cover would allow enough air flow while giving some protection and better aesthetics? I had a quick google and saw the following, http://www.varmepumpehus.com/Main-EN.html and no I am not affiliated with them or a distributor. I just think that it looks like a really good idea unless it has a significant impact on performance but I cant see that although I am not an engineer so maybe this is the case.

I think you might be over thinking this. Most of those pictures in that link seem to be in snow, not really an issue here most years. I think that cover would make your heatpump less efficient.

Read a few of the various install manuals and see if any mention covers or similar. Doubt any would recommend it in our climate.

Mr Q wrote: »
    I think you might be over thinking this. Most of those pictures in that link seem to be in snow, not really an issue here most years. I think that cover would make your heatpump less efficient.

Read a few of the various install manuals and see if any mention covers or similar. Doubt any would recommend it in our climate.

Thanks Mr Q, yeah maybe, I kinda like the idea of disguising the unit as long as it doesn't afect the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

Thanks Mr Q, yeah maybe, I kinda like the idea of disguising the unit as long as it doesn't afect the operation.

If the outdoor unit is such an issue why not just use ground source. More efficient, not affected by the weather and no outdoor unit to degrade. I personally don't understand the obsession with a2w apart from it being slightly cheaper to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I do alot of work with larger chillers and ashp, alot of the manufacturers will knock a good margin off their rating if there is a wall , or cover within 2m of the units, as they will say it inhibits free airflow.

It comes down to the design of the outdoor unit and the derating the manufacturer applies to it, but of you put it in shed , they will prob tell you that they will not stand over the install .

These units are made for outdoor use what exactly are you afraid of ? The same as an oil boiler you will be looking at replacements in 15 years .

I do alot of work with larger chillers and ashp, alot of the manufacturers will knock a good margin off their rating if there is a wall , or cover within 2m of the units, as they will say it inhibits free airflow.

It comes down to the design of the outdoor unit and the derating the manufacturer applies to it, but of you put it in shed , they will prob tell you that they will not stand over the install .

These units are made for outdoor use what exactly are you afraid of ? The same as an oil boiler you will be looking at replacements in 15 years .

Thanks Outkast, Not afraid of anything, just thought that they look exposed and the a cover would help to protect a bit and also approve appearance, nothing more or less. I'm happy to leave as is.

threeball wrote: »
    If the outdoor unit is such an issue why not just use ground source. More efficient, not affected by the weather and no outdoor unit to degrade. I personally don't understand the obsession with a2w apart from it being slightly cheaper to install.

No room for ground source, small site and don't wish to drill a bore, rocky ground, and I certainly don't have an obsession with a2w, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

No room for ground source, small site and don't wish to drill a bore, rocky ground, and I certainly don't have an obsession with a2w, thanks

As far as I know rock is the ideal drilling conditions as you don't have to case it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement