Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boris Johnson in a bit of strife

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

splinter65 wrote: »
    Happily married 23 years in September. Plenty of roaring shouting screaming cups and plates thrown, small tables upended, doors slammed cars revved..no neighbor ever called the Garda, all forgotten about tomorrow. Normal adult relationship .

It might work for you - it might be your 'normal' - but that kind of behaviour really isn't common. Really hope you don't have kids who have to witness it, incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The neighbors were right to call the police. If she shouted get off me and get out of my flat etc and there was banging.

It could have been an intruder.

And people have the right to ask him questions he is a politician going for the top job. He will be in charge of how Britain is shaped. They have the right to ask questions.

He has a duty to answer them.

Its an important story relating to his character which is of great relevance to the job.

Only thing is we KNOW his character already.

What a foolish idiot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

The neighbors were right to call the police. If she shouted get off me and get out of my flat etc and there was banging.

It could have been an intruder.

And people have the right to ask him questions he is a politician going for the top job. He will be in charge of how Britain is shaped. They have the right to ask questions.

He has a duty to answer them.

Its an important story relating to his character which is of great relevance to the job.

Only thing is we KNOW his character already.

What a foolish idiot though.

Yeah, I can't see this changing the minds of people already willing to ignore his dishonesty and incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would you not be concerned?

Would you not be worried he was attacking her? She shouted get off me and get out of my flat.

There were things banging and a neighbor was either so fed up of the noise or worried they called the police.

I don't even know if this happened. This is my biggest problem. These are being reported as facts. They are stories being told by people of large political Bias and dubious character. Then reported by The Guardian orlf political Bias and vested interests.

These are dubious claims, not facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As much as I hate dirty rotten political tactics... if they topple Boris, means to an end.
    Him, Trump and Putin all in power together is a trifecta the world cannot afford.

Just hope that neighbour knows what he's letting himself in for.

I doubt it will topple him however. He has over 100% lead in the MPs count and his opponent is weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't even know if this happened. This is my biggest problem. These are being reported as facts. They are stories being told by people of large political Bias and dubious character. Then reported by The Guardian orlf political Bias and vested interests.

They are claims made by three separate neighbors tho and Boris has not denied them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Where are you getting it from that the people reporting it have "large political bias" and are of "dubious character"? What is dubious about the reports?

You are literally trying to poke holes in this because it doesn't suit your view.

People reported some sort of disturbance in Johnson's house. Now he won't talk about it, because it's likely there is no way he can spin this without making it worse. If it didn't happen, then why hasn't he said it didn't happen?

MrFresh wrote: »
    I've never roared at my wife and neither of us have ever thrown plates. Same for my parents. I'd consider that normal and healthy.

Some people are more passionate and dramatic than others. That's not the same thing as abuse.

Bottling up your true feelings for a quiet life, now that's unhealthy.

Can't believe you and your wife have agreed on everything 100% throughout your marriage

Candie wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing normal about it, in any way. If anyone roared, screamed or broke things around me in an argument it would be a permanent exit.

That's you. Some people are more emotional than others. This isn't abuse. It's their way of communicating.when all other avenues fail.

Throwing plates AT someone is bad, but breaking a plate in frustration isn't.

Having said that I've personally never broke plates but a good row now and.again with some shouting can be healthy.

sdanseo wrote: »
    As much as I hate dirty rotten political tactics... if they topple Boris, means to an end.
    Him, Trump and Putin all in power together is a trifecta the world cannot afford.

Just hope that neighbour knows what he's letting himself in for.

He has over 100% lead in the MPs count and his opponent is weak.

I agree with you. I doubt it will topple him however.

It will make him more popular. Makes the neighbour look like a nazi collaborator. Total own goal.

• Advertisement

Some people are more passionate and dramatic than others. That's not the same thing as abuse.

I don't know if I missed it but no one has actually brought up the word abuse. It doesn't matter - it's not okay to do these things in a relationship.

It doesn't have to be abuse, but that doesn't make it okay. Roaring and shouting and throwing things at your partner is not normal and is at the very least very dysfunctional. No excuse for it.

And I'm sorry, but in this context "passionate" and "dramatic" are just euphemisms for having a bad temper. People do not get a free pass to act however they like just because they are unable to regulate their emotions.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I don't know if I missed it but no one has actually brought up the word abuse. It doesn't matter - it's not okay to do these things in a relationship.

It doesn't have to be abuse, but that doesn't make it okay. Roaring and shouting and throwing things at your partner is not normal and is at the very least very dysfunctional. No excuse for it.

And I'm sorry, but in this context "passionate" and "dramatic" are just euphemisms for having a bad temper. People do not get a free pass to act however they like just because they are unable to regulate their emotions.

Who was roaring and shouting and throwing plates???? Hint : it wasn't Boris. Yet he is the one under the microscope. Again - I don't like him but this is character assassination.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can't believe you and your wife have agreed on everything 100% throughout your marriage

Nobody said they never have disagreements or arguments. Just they never had to resort to throwing plates of upending tables.

More people making up sh*t.

We seem to have a bunch of robots in this thread quite frankly. People who never get upset, annoyed or frustrated about anything ever.

If you came home to dsicover your spouse had spent 10k on a credit card for example, and told you it was his or her right and none of your business, would none of you even be slightly upset?

We seem to have a bunch of robots in this thread quite frankly. People who never get upset, annoyed or frustrated about anything ever.

Again, nobody is saying that.

You can be upset, annoyed and frustrated but never needed to throw plates or upend tables.

Stop making things up.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Again, nobody is saying that.

You can be upset, annoyed and frustrated but never needed to throw plates or upend tables.

Stop making things up.

We don't know anyone actually threw plates or upended tables. We only know the sound of glass was being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Makes the neighbour look like a nazi collaborator.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh! I hate Sunday evenings.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh! I hate Sunday evenings.

The weather is rubbish too!

We don't know anyone actually threw plates or upended tables. We only know the sound of glass was being broken.

People in this thread said that throwing plates was 'normal' in a heated argument. It's not normal.

Do you think it's normal? Because you're arguing with people who don't think it is.

People in this thread said that throwing plates was 'normal' in a heated argument. It's not normal.

Do you think it's normal? Because you're arguing with people who don't think it is.

It's not normal to throw plates. However I would say that in a highly stressful situation, like crazy spending, gambling, infidelity etc, and with alcohol on board, as a once off, it would be normal for someone to shout or break something in frustration or anger. Especially with someone denying there was any problem.

Never to physically threaten someone though.

To have shouting matches on a semi regular basis would be a normal way of communicating for some people. I knew people like this who have an otherwise happy and healthy relationship. It's just their way of communicating.

• Advertisement

Ha! You do realise that getting upset, annoyed or frustrated is not carte blanche to act like a chimpanzee, don't you?
    Most of us are perfectly capable of conducting ourselves like adults when we are upset. Shouting and roaring in a row is one thing. It's not on, but it's only words at the end of the day. Throwing things around like a chimp is something else entirely.
    If you came home to dsicover your spouse had spent 10k on a credit card for example, and told you it was his or her right and none of your business, would none of you even be slightly upset?

You're asking if people would be upset. Sure. That doesn't mean they get to throw things.

No one has commented on my point that we don't know who was throwing things or if anyone in fact threw anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

To have shouting matches on a semi regular basis would be a normal way of communicating for some people. I knew people like this who have an otherwise happy and healthy relationship. It's just their way of communicating.

pair-of-tits.jpg

They're a lovely couple:pac:

You're asking if people would be upset. Sure. That doesn't mean they get to throw things.

I agree.

No one has commented on my point that we don't know who was throwing things or if anyone in fact threw anything.

The posts you were replying to were in response to someone who said throwing plates and upending tables was normal...

pair-of-tits.jpg

Haha forgot about them, good example!

The posts you were replying to were in response to someone who said throwing plates and upending tables was normal...

Yes I can see how that looks... It was the spirit I was agreeing with. I don't think throwing plates and upending tables is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

pair-of-tits.jpg

At least that's one pair between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

splinter65 wrote: »
    Happily married 23 years in September. Plenty of roaring shouting screaming cups and plates thrown, small tables upended, doors slammed cars revved..no neighbor ever called the Garda, all forgotten about tomorrow. Normal adult relationship .

Normal?? :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Can’t believe people jumping to conclusions when there is so little actual clarity as to what went on. Was just as likely the missus was the aggressor but that obviously doesn’t suit the narrative.

Frankly, how he behaves at home has little bearing on his ability to do the job. Bill Clinton was anything from creepy to a rapist and he was a bloody good president. This is just a stitch up and you can see agendas being pursued to try and ruin Johnson by those who don’t like him. Pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement