Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

After the cinema news from yesterday I made a point to cycle by Baily Point this morning. From what I could see the exterior still looks really patchy. I saw a small bit of scaffolding but nothing like you'd expect for a big job.

The whole place still looks as if it has scabies. Maybe they're slowly moving around that small bit of scaffolding to plaster first and then paint later? I couldn't quite make out if the patches are freshly plastered smooth or still hunks missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

Vegano Delicatessen - he's just launched his fb page

Looks like it'll be in that old Harambee charity shop, 52 Newcastle Road. Opening some time in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Bredabe

After the cinema news from yesterday I made a point to cycle by Baily Point this morning. From what I could see the exterior still looks really patchy. I saw a small bit of scaffolding but nothing like you'd expect for a big job.

The whole place still looks as if it has scabies. Maybe they're slowly moving around that small bit of scaffolding to plaster first and then paint later? I couldn't quite make out if the patches are freshly plastered smooth or still hunks missing.

I know the basement cleared safely checks for the cinema, but a renter there tells me the place stinks when the tide is high, as to what they can do about the commonly held belief that there is pyrite in the mix, I dont know.

From another life of frequenting omni cinema's, this one is going to be expensive and I still cant see where they are going to put the cars that most ppl will drive there(as the buses from knocknacarra or outer salthill are non existent or patchy) I cant see where they will fit on a summer's or floody pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

theintern wrote: »
    Vegano Delicatessen - he's just launched his fb page

Looks like it'll be in that old Harambee charity shop, 52 Newcastle Road. Opening some time in July.

Yeah it's the old charity shop... photos on the Facebook page. Hope they do well but pretty challenging location for a vegan deli, good walk out of town and no real parking.

Would be good if they use the limited space at the front for a good bike rack, especially if they're targeting the vegan (and often climate aware) community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Bredabe wrote: »
    I know the basement cleared safely checks for the cinema, but a renter there tells me the place stinks when the tide is high, as to what they can do about the commonly held belief that there is pyrite in the mix, I dont know.

From another life of frequenting omni cinema's, this one is going to be expensive and I still cant see where they are going to put the cars that most ppl will drive there(as the buses from knocknacarra or outer salthill are non existent or patchy) I cant see where they will fit on a summer's or floody pm.

Salthill is an easy walk from knocknacarra do it manys a day

Loads of parking- Seapoint, Baily Point, Salthill prom car park and I think there is a few underground spaces in Baily point ??

I wonder is the block in receivership still and being leased out and then sold on by receivers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Eastwoods Bar in Doughiska re-opening , Noel from Sally Longs is taking it on

A mace is being fitted out in Liosban where Elverys used to be - opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Planning lodged for Westside Tavern.

Change of use from bar to tourist accommodation consisting of 20 en-suite bedrooms, dining room, reception, and associated amenities.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Change of use from bar to tourist accommodation consisting of 20 en-suit bedrooms, dining-room, reception and associated amenities.

It's a pity, there's very few bars around that area. The NUI bar would be closest if I'm not wrong? Only other one is The Sliding rock and after that you'd either be going to Salthill or the City Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's a pity, there's very few bars around that area. The NUI bar would be closest if I'm not wrong? Only other one is The Sliding rock and after that you'd either be going to Salthill or the City Center.

Bransky’s/Westside Tavern were absolute kips. Good riddance.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bransky’s/Westside Tavern were absolute kips. Good riddance.

I don't disagree, but there is surely a market for a good pub in the area? Even if it was closer to rahoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Change of use from bar to tourist accommodation consisting of 20 en-suit bedrooms, dining-room, reception and associated amenities.
    Might capture the university mammy and daddy market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't disagree, but there is surely a market for a good pub in the area? Even if it was closer to rahoon?

The market appears not to think so.

Pubs don't really belong in suburban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Noel from Sally's might disagree with that

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• The problem with both locations was the rough crowd were repeatedly allowed in even after regular bust ups.

Ended up with kips that not many wanted to go to

The plans for accommodation..... The location is terrible for that too. I'd be surprised if they are allowed to do a change of use

Noel from Sally's might disagree with that

Fair play to him for trying. But he's joining a long line of people who have been unable to make a success of a bar in the area. It's a neighbourhood with lots of families, and lots of people who work - a smaller than usual proportion of daily drinkers.

And it's in a neighbourhood where lots of kids live. They should be able to grow up without encountering drunk adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

When is this happening?! Previous lads were nice but made minimal effort to get people in the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Fair play to him for trying. But he's joining a long line of people who have been unable to make a success of a bar in the area. It's a neighbourhood with lots of families, and lots of people who work - a smaller than usual proportion of daily drinkers.

A tough gig for sure especially given its modest size. But apart from opening the doors, some of the previous sets of publicans didn't really seem to have any plan as to how to attract clientele.

Hear what you are saying about the demographics in the area but I would imagine there is easily enough of a catchment area for the a bar to do ok provided the offering is right.

I think it's real downfall is the location across from the hardstand and the perception that it gets a rough crowd as a result. This has never generally been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you elaborate on how you know this?
    This thread doesn't allow hearsay or rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Tom Sheridan's in Knocknacarra is doing very well and is badly needed. Not everybody wants to go all the way into town for a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Clybaun hotel has a bar doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

flazio wrote: »
    https://www.clybaunhotel.ie/ogormans-bar-and-bistro.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

flazio wrote: »
    It does, but it has no atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah, Clybaun is very much a brightly lit hotel bar. It doesn't feel like a cosy pub, which Sheridan's pulls off. Capone's extension is a lounge/bar which looks like a nice place to chill. Not sure if they would encourage groups who aren't eating but get some wings and it might be an alternative. Other than that you're into Salthill but in the evening there's no public transport options. It's not terribly far though, I often walk down and taxi back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

And it's in a neighbourhood where lots of kids live. They should be able to grow up without encountering drunk adults.

Surely the majority of the drunks would be leaving the pub well past the kids bedtime?

etxp wrote: »
    Surely the majority of the drunks would be leaving the pub well past the kids bedtime?

Ah, don't apply logic to outrage!

I'm sure it's much better for kids to watch adults getting blocked while sitting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ah, don't apply logic to outrage!

I'm sure it's much better for kids to watch adults getting blocked while sitting at home.

Won’t someone please think of the children!!!!!!!

etxp wrote: »

Yeah, waking them up as they roar past in the street.

Basic planning: put the shops, pubs etc in the centre and family housing on the edges. Avoid donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Yeah, waking them up as they roar past in the street.

Basic planning: put the shops, pubs etc in the centre and family housing on the edges. Avoid donuts.

For God sake. So your saying children don't see any drunks walking down High Street or Quay Street? Day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sure people don't drink at home :rolleyes:

Advertisement