Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Besides Vitamin D, what other benefits does sunlight on skin benefit humans?

• 17-06-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. If someone took Vitamin D supplements - is there any need to get sunlight on our skin? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

According to this news-type article which I read recently https://www.outsideonline.com/2380751/sunscreen-sun-exposure-skin-cancer-science, there may be non-vitamin-D-mediated beneficial effects on blood pressure and clotting among other things. I can't vouch for any of the underlying research as I didn't look it up or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Perhaps it helps to boost dopamine and serotonin levels?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Perhaps it helps to boost dopamine and serotonin levels?
    Serotonin mentioned in that article all right

Serotonin mentioned in that article all right

Sorry, nomdeboardie, I missed it first time around.

From this article: https://www.lifesavvy.com/3775/always-tired-try-these-tips-out-to-boost-your-energy/

"...sunlight—which stimulates the production of vitamin D, serotonin and melatonin, a feel-good hormone and a sleep-regulating hormone respectively..."

• Advertisement

From this article: https://www.lifesavvy.com/3775/always-tired-try-these-tips-out-to-boost-your-energy/

"...sunlight—which stimulates the production of vitamin D, serotonin and melatonin, a feel-good hormone and a sleep-regulating hormone respectively..."
    Yes, though I think the effect of sunlight (through the eyes) on melatonin regulation seems more complex - I get the impression that it downregulates it during the day and this increases its production/effectiveness at night(?)

Yes, though I think the effect of sunlight (through the eyes) on melatonin regulation seems more complex - I get the impression that it downregulates it during the day and this increases its production/effectiveness at night(?)

AFAIK, at night, melatonin is produced from serotonin.

AFAIK, at night, melatonin is produced from serotonin.
    Ah :o, the plot thickens

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BeckiB

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Have a listen to this. Sunlight plays a huge role in our lives. Unfortunately we dont get enough of it..

Or check out the work of Dr Jack Kruse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=X5WCYlaPAwM

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    Have a listen to this. Sunlight plays a huge role in our lives. Unfortunately we dont get enough of it..

What? So if someone avoids the sun but takes vitamin D supplements -- they'd still be vitamin D deficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

What? So if someone avoids the sun but takes vitamin D supplements -- they'd still be vitamin D deficient?

Here's an article on Vit D from Science Based Medicine. Vit D supplements in general are a waste of money.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-inevitable-fall-of-vitamin-d/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

jh79 wrote: »
    Here's an article on Vit D from Science Based Medicine. Vit D supplements in general are a waste of money.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-inevitable-fall-of-vitamin-d/
    This is incorrect . The article states that
    “Given the ubiquity of supplementation in the absence of deficiency”. In other words it’s useless to use vitamin D supplements when you don’t need too. In Ireland the majority of the population is deficient in winter, supplements excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Nope. They won’t be deficient . But will be missing other benefits like serotonin production and reuptake inhibition. Sunlight is also used to help skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema.

Budawanny wrote: »
    This is incorrect . The article states that
    “Given the ubiquity of supplementation in the absence of deficiency”. In other words it’s useless to use vitamin D supplements when you don’t need too. In Ireland the majority of the population is deficient in winter, supplements excluded.

Did you not read the breakdown into the common claims? No real benefits observed.

The body converts sunlight into vit D.
    His theory is that if you supplement you inhibit the body from natural doing it.
    He does outline the reason why.
    Taking supplements of vit D is not the same as producing it naturally, because of the different spectrum of light.
    Wearing sunglasses, sun block, and spending to much time indoors and not getting enough natural sunlight particularly in the early am and late pm is the reason why vit D deficiency is so prevalent

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org
    I've since read a few items about sciencebasedmedicine.org that does not paint a good picture of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Broad spectrum natural light from sunlight is essential for ALL life on earth (for billions of years),
    from UV helping Vit-D, across to i-Red which can help with aches n' pains and reducing inflammation.

I've since read a few items about sciencebasedmedicine.org that does not paint a good picture of them.

Really, well respected blog among scientists.

Could you give an example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If you have psoriasis whatever uv is in natural sunlight is beneficial to helping controlling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

If you have the third most common endocrine disease like I have you must definitely need vitD supplements taken with magnesium supplements at the same time. One of the indicators for primary hyperPARAthyroidism is low vitD levels and high parathyroid hormone and high calcium levels. And low phosphate levels.

He mentioned that he has freckles and can stay in the sun for 12 hours a day and not get fried. He also said 'the incidence of melanoma is reduced by solar exposure'. What?

Have a read of this

https://jackkruse.com/time-10-can-you-supplement-sunlight/

Really, well respected blog among scientists.

Could you give an example?

Hi jh79. I don't recall where.

That needs a TLDR.

He mentioned that he has freckles and can stay in the sun for 12 hours a day and not get fried. He also said 'the incidence of melanoma is reduced by solar exposure'. What?

Yes he does mention this.
    Now he he also mentioned that he has built up a tolerance, also mentioned that he has cut down his exposure to blue light and nnEMF..
    Funny how you pick up and quote that bit.. 🙄🙄

That needs a TLDR.
    By TLDR I assume you mean it was to long and didnt read it.
    Do you want someone read read it and give you a break down 🙄🙄
    You asked about other benefits of sunlight.
    And I gave you a link to do some research..

As you well know that you shouldn't take the word of a random poster on an internet forum..

Here is some other information to consider.
    Please note there are links provided..

Perhaps you have heard about recent reports on sunscreen toxicity from the Journal of the American Medical Association (1) and have been looking for better ways to protect your skin from sun damage.

If so, consider this:

The kind of radiation that is known to be able to damage skin — ultraviolet B — and the kind of radiation that we now know protects and heals skin — infrared A — both come from the same source: the sun.

In fact, recent research suggests that AM sunlight, which is proportionately higher in infrared frequencies, actually works to "precondition" the skin to prepare it to accept the ultraviolet frequencies which rise during the midday hours. Likewise, as ultraviolet proportionally declines in the afternoon, the higher ratio of infrared from the sun works to "repair damage" accrued in the skin from the hours before (2).

Ever wonder how early humans weren’t riddled with skin cancer?

Ever wonder why modern civilized humans, who spend 90% of their lives indoors and who cover themselves with sunscreen while outside, are getting increasingly high rates of skin cancer? (3).

Did you know that recent studies show that, like all other cancers, skin cancer risk actually decreases as sun exposure increases? (4,5).

Perhaps the real solution to skin cancer isn't about blocking UVB (which, by the way, is the only slice of the spectrum capable of producing vitamin D in humans). Perhaps the real solution is the one our ancestors naturally utilized for hundreds of thousands of years, the one built into nature itself: taking advantage of the full range of sunlight frequencies around the clock.

"One could therefore assume that early morning 'sun salutation' and late afternoon procrastination on the beach are actually natural PBM [photobiomodulation] treatments to prevent and repair, respectively. Consequently, if your shadow is taller than you are (in the early morning and late afternoon) you're taking advantage of the beneficial effects of IR-A while avoiding peak harmful UVR. Ultimately, it is another way of being sun smart" (2).

1. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2733085?guestAccessKey=e1ad4492-fe70-4f53-970d-d63bfa1cdccd&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=05062019

2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4745411/?fbclid=IwAR0KmhzvR0v5SZYFCDYFhivDWO4W4uMo0_OQ8RgNMVBqsRaKpQRG88S7qy0

3. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/research/articles/cancer_2020.htm

4. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ijc.2910350403?fbclid=IwAR35gwi5og8SOpTmrh0zgwRt1ohLrTvju2eTfyzHWBd7ypvGha0bb1yhxqY

5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24697969/?fbclid=IwAR1luyPKcqmJCNzHNj33TQtapWfT33EBUvtUUQyBHG7qsZVPwNgZNKJ2duM.

This was pasted from another site.

Yes he does mention this.
    Now he he also mentioned that he has built up a tolerance, also mentioned that he has cut down his exposure to blue light and nnEMF..
    Funny how you pick up and quote that bit.. ����

I don't believe that a guy with freckles can stay in the sun for 12 hours and not get fried. I also find it hard to believe that melanoma is reduced by more solar exposure.
    I don't use sunblock - I like to be in the sun for short periods in the early morn and late eve but try to avoid it at all other times.

I don't believe that a guy with freckles can stay in the sun for 12 hours and not get fried. I also find it hard to believe that melanoma is reduced by more solar exposure.
    I don't use sunblock - I like to be in the sun for short periods in the early morn and late eve but try to avoid it at all other times.

Of course its your prerogative to belief what ever you care to do so..

How may of these melanoma's are on skin exposed areas?

We all know melanoma is on the increase, this at a time when we have never covered ourselves more with suncream, clothes, sunglasses, UV protection in windscreens, windows etc etc..
    We also know that out diet has change a huge amount over the last few decades. From eating out of seasons foods, processed food etc.
    What has also change is our environment, we now live in a high nnEMF environment, from mobile phones, wifi and other electric powered devices...
    Is all of this just a correlation?.
    Has the sun change at out latitude over the same period?

Well done on the am and pm light ;)

• Advertisement

... Well done on the am and pm light ;)

Thanks. 🌞

Advertisement