Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anybody actually like penetrative "earbuds"?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭

Does anybody like these newfangled dildo headphones that go inside your ear? They don't work for me. Keep popping in and out making a sucking noise like a welly being pulled out of a swamp. Feels very invasive. Uncomfortable and unpleasantly erotic. You are being penetrated by low quality tech.

Now no doubt many of ye have spent twenty quid on these useless monstrosities and will feel compelled to defend your poor purchasing choice, but believe you me, these things are not going to be judged kindly in the history books. Absolute waste of space and plastic. A total marketing gimmick. A step backwards. They penetrated your ear and laughed at your poor purchasing choice. Newfangled gadget inside your orifice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Gigs and Events?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I can't actually use them, must be something up with my ear canal.
    Makes it pretty hard to find decent earphones, especially Bluetooth earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

what a weirdly erotic post.

Anyway, I use them and they both sound and isolate better than earphones and aren't as impractical as headphones.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do you mean the likes of this?

I refuse to use any other type.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

They seem to be the main type on the market now and I hate them too - I have found if they don't stay in your ear to try the bigger size that came with them helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

New?

I think I first saw them with some Sony Walkman phone back in 2007ish. They're excellent for blocking sound.
    They come with different size rubber thingies for people with weird ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

OP sounds to me like you need to clean your ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Absolutely hate them. That feeling of them in your ear canel is unspeakable. I much, much prefer the more traditional type that sit in your ear, as opposed to these awful yokes that go right into your ears. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find the former these days, as seemingly everywhere increasingly only stocks the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Does anybody like these newfangled dildo headphones that go inside your ear? They don't work for me. Keep popping in and out making a sucking noise like a welly being pulled out of a swamp. Feels very invasive. Uncomfortable and unpleasantly erotic. You are being penetrated by low quality tech.

Now no doubt many of ye have spent twenty quid on these useless monstrosities and will feel compelled to defend your poor purchasing choice, but believe you me, these things are not going to be judged kindly in the history books. Absolute waste of space and plastic. A total marketing gimmick. A step backwards. They penetrated your ear and laughed at your poor purchasing choice. Newfangled gadget inside your orifice

Hah! Dildo headphones.
    I can live with them but prefer the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hah! Dildo headphones.
    I can live with them but prefer the others.
    Maura's (from Love Island) ears are burning.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Arghus wrote: »
    Absolutely hate them. That feeling of them in your ear canel is unspeakable. I much, much prefer the more traditional type that sit in your ear, as opposed to these awful yokes that go right into your ears. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find the former these days, as seemingly everywhere increasingly only stocks the latter.

So this is what it's like when doves cry!

I absolutely despise them.

I use Sennheiser MX365/370s and have donefor years. They're so comfortable. But have gotten harder to find. To the point where I have now started to buy a couple at a time in case the fateful day arrives and we're stuck with those rapey monstrosities.

I think over paying for earbuds is a fools errand anyway given the sort of places in which they're used.

The feeling in your ear, when they rarely stay in is beyond uncomfortable. I also can't put up with the noise cancelling aspect. Makes me all dizzy.

Uh. Hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Side track but could anyone who wears protective earbuds/plugs recommend any for loud gigs and hearing protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The AKG ones with the S9 were pretty decent and so are Skull Candy ones but the rest are pure junk for sound including the diddy Beats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So this is what it's like when doves cry!

I absolutely despise them.

I use Sennheiser MX365/370s and have donefor years. They're so comfortable. But have gotten harder to find. To the point where I have now started to buy a couple at a time in case the fateful day arrives and we're stuck with those rapey monstrosities.

I think over paying for earbuds is a fools errand anyway given the sort of places in which they're used.

The feeling in your ear, when they rarely stay in is beyond uncomfortable. I also can't put up with the noise cancelling aspect. Makes me all dizzy.

Uh. Hate them.

They are my go to also for relatively cheap and portable ear phones. The only downside is they seem to have a very limited life span. It usually only takes about 6-8 weeks before the bass starts to rattle in them or one earphone stops working altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think you'd have to spend more than 20 quid to get comfortable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Why do they make you feel like you are underwater when they are in your ears?

I hate them. That feeling is horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Have an android and the AKGs that came with it are horrendous.

I like Apple's earpods best and use them all the time.

Great audio quality for around €25

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they fall out then youre using them wrong. Theres a reason they all come with multiple sizes to change them to suit your ears.

When you fit them properly they are very comfortable.

Theyre hardly new either, Sony have been doing them for about 20 years that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Have an android and the AKGs that came with it are horrendous.

I like Apple's earpods best and use them all the time.

Great audio quality for around €25

The man never drank had a Duff Android in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Want another set? They're crap. Not a patch on earpods.

akg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I've always used Soundmagic or Sennheiser in-ear buds since they've about (many many years at this stage?). Couldn't even imagine using older style pods anymore. In-ears are way more comfortable and the noise isolation is essential for me. Proper headphones are the ideal for sound quality but are usually too cumbersome for wearing out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Arghus wrote: »
    They are my go to also for relatively cheap and portable ear phones. The only downside is they seem to have a very limited life span. It usually only takes about 6-8 weeks before the bass starts to rattle in them or one earphone stops working altogether.

6-8 weeks?

What are ya doing to them?

My current set are hitting the year mark now and not a bother on them. Rarely notice a bass drop ever on any pairs I've owned over the years.

Advertisement