Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night saver meter

• 16-06-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Due to recent EV purchase im looking at changing to a NightSaver meter which I’m aware is free . However I understand there is a charge of approx €190 if I ever want to go back to standard 24 meter.

Is this correct? Why would this be the case as surely the units showing on the meter for day and night are just totaled up on the bill?

I’m with Energia at the moment they seem to be the cheapest..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah its free to change over, and you are charged to change back.

Not sure why you are charged to go back? Maybe to recoup the money they spent sending a guy out to change the meter?

Only thing I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's no need to ever go back to a standard meter. In fact all current meters will be replaced in the next few years by smart meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

unkel wrote: »
    There's no need to ever go back to a standard meter. In fact all current meters will be replaced in the next few years by smart meters.

Actually I did read about that so I suppose there is no real risk for me if I ever did want to change back down the line, I suppose I’m just curious as to why they would have to charge you. Is it because they have to change the meter back to a standard one as I can’t see why they would have to do that.. ?

Does anyone know roughly how long the process of getting new night meter installed takes?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    Actually I did read about that so I suppose there is no real risk for me if I ever did want to change back down the line, I suppose I’m just curious as to why they would have to charge you. Is it because they have to change the meter back to a standard one as I can’t see why they would have to do that.. ?

Does anyone know roughly how long the process of getting new night meter installed takes?

They shoukd have someone out to you within a week of asking.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They shoukd have someone out to you within a week of asking.

Oh I was expecting a couple of months! That’s great to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I changed to night saver and they installed a smart meter.

€50 to change back seemingly. But considering they won't have to change anything maybe that will be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There is no charge to change back as they don't change the meter, just how you're billed.

I've changed over and back a few times and have been told I'd be charged. The ESBN lad comes around, looks at the meter and notes on the system that the billing is 24 hour. It's usually accompanied by a "they told you that you'd have to pay to change back?" followed by a rolleyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭KCross

However I understand there is a charge of approx €190 if I ever want to go back to standard 24 meter.

Is this correct? Why would this be the case as surely the units showing on the meter for day and night are just totaled up on the bill?.

My educated guess is that it’s nothing to do with it costing them money to change you back, they just want to ensure people are not changing every 6 months because it would be advantageous to do so, in some circumstances.

Basically pick the plan that suits you and stick with it. That’s what they want you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But the OP wouldn't physically be 'going back' to an old meter, I think they would likely charge you to move back off the night saver tariff to go back to your original tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

JPA wrote: »
    I changed to night saver and they installed a smart meter.

Was it a smart meter, or just a digital one maybe? Did they leave your existing meter and add an additional meter, or did they take out the existing one and just leave you with the new one?

I know they are ramping up towards piloting the new smart meters, would be exciting if they were rolling some out already! Any photos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 FOTW

I was told by Energia I can change the way I'm metered for free once every six months over that and it would be a €50 admin fee to change. When I signed up with them I was on just standard metering, once I had switched over to them I called up a week later and switched to day/night metering. I think the engineer was out about 4 days later. All went fairly seamlessly.

I called Energia and the meter is being installed this Friday.. They said either your existing meter will be adjusted or a new one installed. They never once mentioned costs to change back or anything like that. I have looked at other suppliers and Energia seem to be by far the cheapest.

There is a cap of usage , I can use with the new tariff -bi mnthly 3000 units day and 2000 night..

There is a cap of usage , I can use with the new tariff -bi mnthly 3000 units day and 2000 night..

That's (3000 + 2000) * 6 bills = 30000kWh per year

The average Irish household uses about one tenth of that, so you'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

I cant figure out what is going on. But i am with supplier A and rang to get a price for moving to day/night rate. They advised rate and also said that it would be €270 to change the meter to day/night meter.
    Supplier A advised ring ESB and they might do for free for my house. So i called ESB and they advised the request needs to come from supplier not myself. ESB also advised they would never be charging me, just supplier and its up to them if they charge me.

So then called supplier B, requested rate. Got rate. They also advised me that there would be a charge to change meter to day/night meter and it would be €192 for that change. I advised that i was told it would be free. They asked where i had heard that. I said it was all over boards.

I left it at that. Now i am none the wiser as to what to do.

Please help. i really did not expect to be paying for this change. Especially seeing that the smart meters would be rolling out in the near (ish) future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Why are you not referring to the suppliers by name?

Batesy wrote: »
    Why are you not referring to the suppliers by name?

Not sure. Just old i guess. Supplier A is BGE who i am with. Supplier B was Engergia and they were the ones everyone is recommending as cheapest.

Energia rang me back advising it would not be a charge. But i would need to switch over to them first and get setup as standard 24 hour rate then move to day/night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'm with Bord Gais, just switched to Night Saver, for free. They checked my MPRN, and asked if there had been any Night Saver before, and noted there was a charge for subsequent changes but first change was free.
    So if your MPRN registered that there was previously a night rate, or someone changing back and forth, they may have wanted to enforce the rate.

ESB were out to me within a week, I had digital meter already, they just double checked and were on their way.

thos wrote: »
    I'm with Bord Gais, just switched to Night Saver, for free. They checked my MPRN, and asked if there had been any Night Saver before, and noted there was a charge for subsequent changes but first change was free.
    So if your MPRN registered that there was previously a night rate, or someone changing back and forth, they may have wanted to enforce the rate.

ESB were out to me within a week, I had digital meter already, they just double checked and were on their way.

Hi Thos,

Are you happy with BGE. When i was chatting to them, the rate just seemed so much higher than Energia. And they then told me to ring ESB and request.
    It seems to be a strange one for me that on both calls, neither myself or the sales person had a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

kevin16w wrote: »

Energia rang me back advising it would not be a charge. But i would need to switch over to them first and get setup as standard 24 hour rate then move to day/night rate.
    That's fairly standard, go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Hi Thos,

Are you happy with BGE. When i was chatting to them, the rate just seemed so much higher than Energia. And they then told me to ring ESB and request.
    It seems to be a strange one for me that on both calls, neither myself or the sales person had a clue.

They've been fine, no issues, 6 months with them.

• Advertisement

it would be €270 to change the meter to day/night meter.
    They also advised me that there would be a charge to change meter to day/night meter and it would be €192 for that change.

Very strange. Looks like the staff you were talking about had been instructed to pull a fast one. Glad you checked here first rather than pay up :)

It's free. Ring your supplier, demand a night rate meter. They will then contact ESB networks who will contact you about coming out to do the install. Should all be done within a few working days. It's free. Nobody gets any bill.

Very strange. Looks like the staff you were talking about had been instructed to pull a fast one. Glad you checked here first rather than pay up :)

It's free. Ring your supplier, demand a night rate meter. They will then contact ESB networks who will contact you about coming out to do the install. Should all be done within a few working days. It's free. Nobody gets any bill.

I am going to move from BGE to Energia and get them to sort out the meter. So do both at the same time. It might take a little longer but wont be an issue.

What was strange was the difference in the charge that both were advising. Made no sense, ESB would charge them a set charge so must be an admin charge on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Just checked with Airtricity and its also free once you haven't changed
    meter in previous 12 months

ESB came and installed new meter, It’s a digital meter and he said there is a 24 hour setting also on it so there will be no need to ever get another meter installed if I wanted to change back. Also said smart meter will be here in autumn and I can request to be prioritized for one. Also he said they are doing 3-4 nightsaver meter installs a wk due to EVs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just a heads-up: called Energia to switch over to day-night (for the first time) so was expecting it to be free. But they made a booboo and ended up charging €170 for a "meter configuration change". Got it sorted with a phone call. Just be sure to look at the bill breakdown after requesting the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

I work days and nights 50/50 would it be worth it for me to go onto a night meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I work days and nights 50/50 would it be worth it for me to go onto a night meter?

Do you have an EV? Can you charge it at night at least once a week? If so, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

Yes i have a 30kwh leaf and my home charging usage is a 50/50 split between days and nights, i use 16kwh a day for my commute to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

Somebody else has done the maths on changing over to night rate, and I think it was if you can do approx 3 kwh per night on the night rate it works out cheaper

• Advertisement

I charge the EV about once or twice a week and usually not full charges. Work charging eliminates most of my need to charge at home now except on Holidays , some days off or if I go off on my days off shift. I use the Carlow DC sometimes too.

We're still using 50-60% of our electricity at night.

I got a couple of SDR radio's online 24x7 , NAS, Sat TV Box, Old Laptop I'm using as a server for my Ham radio for remote operation etc etc, all adds up. These can all run at the cheaper rate at night, oh, and the immersion is used during the warmer months too, all on night electricity.

Washing machine , Dryer or one or the other because you can't have the washing machine on and wait up for it to finish etc. Usually not the dishwasher because it has no delay timer oddly enough.

Advertisement