Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster - Resale tickets and GDPR

• 21-05-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right place, so I bought tickets for an event in the UK, but I am no longer able to go - so I used the resale function on ticketmaster and the tickets sold and I am to receive full (face value) payment after the event.

Happy days - now fast forward 3 weeks and I've after getting an email to say that I have to send the tickets to the buyer myself, when I log into my account there is the buyers name and address - I would have thought for GDPR and data protection that ticketmaster couldn't be giving out names and address to anyone? I assumed that they would just send the tickets to the buyer automatically and I wouldn't be involved at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right place, so I bought tickets for an event in the UK, but I am no longer able to go - so I used the resale function on ticketmaster and the tickets sold and I am to receive full (face value) payment after the event.

Happy days - now fast forward 3 weeks and I've after getting an email to say that I have to send the tickets to the buyer myself, when I log into my account there is the buyers name and address - I would have thought for GDPR and data protection that ticketmaster couldn't be giving out names and address to anyone? I assumed that they would just send the tickets to the buyer automatically and I wouldn't be involved at all.

The terms and conditions for vendors make it clear that it's their responsibility to send the tickets - not Ticketmaster's - so while you're right about how this seems a bit odd in the age of GDPR, that is how it's done.
    However, I think where possible, Ticketmaster will attempt to "convert" hard copy tickets to e-tickets and e-mail them on to the seller, bypassing the need for the seller to post them and reducing the risk of tickets getting lost in the post. But they state this cannot be done for every transaction.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The terms and conditions for vendors make it clear that it's their responsibility to send the tickets - not Ticketmaster's - so while you're right about how this seems a bit odd in the age of GDPR, that is how it's done.
    However, I think where possible, Ticketmaster will attempt to "convert" hard copy tickets to e-tickets and e-mail them on to the seller, bypassing the need for the seller to post them and reducing the risk of tickets getting lost in the post. But they state this cannot be done for every transaction.

Would make more sense to send them to a centralised ticketmaster office and for them to forward them to the buyer. I do wonder when you select to buy a resale ticket are you told that the seller will get your personal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

You have to pay for the postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I sold a ticket last week for the eagles Dublin show through this and they said they could reissue the ticket and send it to the buyer or you have too send it yourself. Emailed them asking do I send it myself but no reply

Getting the money 10 days after the event is bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nicrob08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I sold a ticket last week for the eagles Dublin show through this and they said they could reissue the ticket and send it to the buyer or you have too send it yourself. Emailed them asking do I send it myself but no reply

Getting the money 10 days after the event is bollocks

Any idea what the reasoning behind this is? Sold tickets 3 weeks before event. Event took place on the 8th. Still have to wait another 5 days for payment (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

nicrob08 wrote: »
    Any idea what the reasoning behind this is? Sold tickets 3 weeks before event. Event took place on the 8th. Still have to wait another 5 days for payment (hopefully)

It's to protect the buyer in case the vendor is running a scam. The delay in payment ensures that - should they be denied entry on the night - there's time to investigate.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I sold tickets through TM to a third party buyer, the tickets had not yet been issued so they said they would send them direct to the buyer and I STILL have to wait 10 days for the money. If there was an issue with entry on the night, it would be down to TM not me as I never got the tickets anyway to begin with. Its a load of kak.

Bumping this up - so the event was on the 7th June, tickets arrived at my house about 10 days beforehand, hat to send them registered post and send it off to some one in England, and here we are the 6th July and I still haven't gotten the money for the tickets or the extra I had to pay for registered post.

I have call 0818903001 approx. 10 times over the last 2 days, and either it doesn't ring, rings out or I get an automated message telling me the line is currently closed, despite calling around 3 in the day. I have also sent a request online but haven't heard anything.

Got an automated email on the 20th June telling me that they made a payment to me for the tickets - and it may take up to 3 working days to hit my account - here we are 11 working days later and still no money.

What are my next steps in getting this money - as something has clearly gone wrong - my card details are the exact same so i'm at a loss as to why I haven't received the money. Does anyone have another number for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It's a long time all right but may be pending on your card, ask them to confirm exactly where they refunded the money to.

Email them or talk to them on facebook/twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really confused

So sold a ticket for a event using this resale service for the Eagles show 2 nights ago and i send the orginal ticket too the seller. No email or anything but in the mail today recieved a copy of the ticket i sold ???

Sold 2x for Buble and got the money a few weeks after the event no problem. Nothing on my account about the Eagles resale

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Right was told that as the event was in the UK - I had to ring ticketmaster UK - rang them and they told me there was an issue refunding the money to my visa card (no idea what this issue is), but anyway, had to send them my bank account details, and now they've told me that as they event was based in the UK, they can only refund my money to a UK Bank account.

Like are they serious - there was no issues with me
    a) buying the tickets with my visa card in the first place - so why can't they refund the money to it - I've since used it to buy other tickets on the website without problem.
    b) no where did it mention that I had to have a UK bank account to resell them.

I have sent an email back to them basically saying that can't be right and how do I escalate it/how do I now get my money - but haven't heard anything back yet.

What would my next steps be to getting this money?

P.S I had to ring about 20 times before I got through to someone, and even then they weren't overly helpful - other than telling me to send an email with my bank account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Asking for bank details over email is just madness. Try contacting them through their social channels

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Right was told that as the event was in the UK - I had to ring ticketmaster UK - rang them and they told me there was an issue refunding the money to my visa card (no idea what this issue is), but anyway, had to send them my bank account details, and now they've told me that as they event was based in the UK, they can only refund my money to a UK Bank account.

Like are they serious - there was no issues with me
    a) buying the tickets with my visa card in the first place - so why can't they refund the money to it - I've since used it to buy other tickets on the website without problem.
    b) no where did it mention that I had to have a UK bank account to resell them.

I have sent an email back to them basically saying that can't be right and how do I escalate it/how do I now get my money - but haven't heard anything back yet.

What would my next steps be to getting this money?

P.S I had to ring about 20 times before I got through to someone, and even then they weren't overly helpful - other than telling me to send an email with my bank account details.

TBH you are going to struggle to get anywhere with them. Can you set up a Revolut ac and give them those details?

I still can't understand why I had to wait til 10 days after the event for them to pay for the tickets they resold that were never issued to me in the first place....and then it takes 3-5 days for the money to credit my account anyway!

Advertisement