Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't get this far to get this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I must not have it bad at all. I take 125mg of Eltroxin a day. I don't remember ever having symptoms such as tiredness. I went for bloods on the suggestion of a dentist to have blood checked because I bled for an inordinate amount of time after an extraction. The doc suggested full bloods as I hadn't had any done in years. That was when the thyroid issue showed. I don't feel any different on the meds than I did before!! You're shaming me into getting the levels checked again. It's been a year since I had it last checked.

I’d say if it’s not broken don’t try to fix it! If you feel good stay as is . The last thing you need is a doctor fiddling about with your dosage . Keep an eye on it though , if you feel off get checked or any weird symptoms . Took them ages to get my dose right - and hormones etc can have an effect on the thing .

There a very high dose your on as well - mad you never had symptoms

Sat 8/6

Long run ten miles @ 10:00 min mile This was a group run- so not as slow as I would have liked . Very comfortable mind and non stop chatter . Heart rate was 137 bmp which seems way to low - I’d expect it to be about 142/143 for this pace If talking.

Sun 9/6

3k recovery with kids @ 7:24 mink
    7k recovery without kids@6:25 mink

Heart rate wouldn’t move from the 165-175 rate for these runs so i just turned it off - it was obviously incorrect and was annoying me.

I think the stupid watch is only correct about 50% of the time . I’ll reset to factory settings which seems to help for a bit. Maybe a new watch - and upgrade from the 235.

Weekly mileage 28:5 miles . I’ve been fairly consistent now for about 6 weeks . Going on holidays in two weeks for almost three weeks so hoping this base stands to me even if I slip back slightly . The marathon plan starts on the 8th of July and starts at 28 mile , so I won’t have to do a LSR of any more than ten mile when I’m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sat 8/6

Long run ten miles @ 10:00 min mile This was a group run- so not as slow as I would have liked . Very comfortable mind and non stop chatter . Heart rate was 137 bmp which seems way to low - I’d expect it to be about 142/143 for this pace If talking.

Sun 9/6

3k recovery with kids @ 7:24 mink
    7k recovery without kids@6:25 mink

Heart rate wouldn’t move from the 165-175 rate for these runs so i just turned it off - it was obviously incorrect and was annoying me.

I think the stupid watch is only correct about 50% of the time . I’ll reset to factory settings which seems to help for a bit. Maybe a new watch - and upgrade from the 235.

Weekly mileage 28:5 miles . I’ve been fairly consistent now for about 6 weeks . Going on holidays in two weeks for almost three weeks so hoping this base stands to me even if I slip back slightly . The marathon plan starts on the 8th of July and starts at 28 mile , so I won’t have to do a LSR of any more than ten mile when I’m away.

I got an upgrade from the 235 and i don't think the HR is any better... It's fine a lot of the time to be honest but in the rain it seems to go completely wonky, either really high or really low, it's not even consistently wonky :rolleyes: But for most of my training runs (ie when it's not in the washing machine) i wear a chest strap compatible with my garmin watch (think it's a Garmin RUN chest strap) and this seems a lot more reliable.

Nice consistency there. What marathon plan are you intending to follow?

ariana` wrote: »
    I got an upgrade from the 235 and i don't think the HR is any better... It's fine a lot of the time to be honest but in the rain it seems to go completely wonky, either really high or really low, it's not even consistently wonky :rolleyes: But for most of my training runs (ie when it's not in the washing machine) i wear a chest strap compatible with my garmin watch (think it's a Garmin RUN chest strap) and this seems a lot more reliable.

Nice consistency there. What marathon plan are you intending to follow?

Thanks for that info on your garmin - I might have to invest in a chest strap so!

I couldn’t decide on a plan so put together a massive collection for analysis: You will be sorry you asked :

Hal’s intermediate two
    ——————————-

- Like the mileage and the amount of long long runs
    - Like that it’s tried and tested
    - didn’t like the lack of sessions - boring
    - didn’t like the pace run before the long run because it ruined flexibility

A Gary O H plan I managed to procure for sub 4:
    —————————————————————
    - liked the mixture of sessions stopped stuff from getting dull
    - mileage very heavy
    - no real step back weeks
    - very intense

Another random sub 4 plan from a different local source.
    ——————————————————————
    - mileage ok
    - sessions a bit intense
    - no MP running
    - good quantity of long runs

The boards plan
    ————————-

- liked the MP sessions
    - like the quantity of long runs
    - mileage a bit OTT for my lifestyle/recovery etc

Club Plan
    —————-

- variety of interval sessions at LT pace and MP
    - sessions not hardcore and should be easy to recover from
    - selection of hardcore long runs with MP similar to boards
    - low mileage (comparatively - peaking at 45 miles)
    - no continuous MP session( all interval )
    - based on 4 days running but guideline - opportunity to add extra easy runs
    - long runs only go to 18 miles

So what to do !!!!!! Looks like I’ll go with club one as from a mental prospective I should be able do all the miles on the base . However I have added the odd 4 mile easy run to bring mileage up to match Hal’s . The debate now is whether to increase 1/2 of the 18s to 20s. I know the fact that some miles will be at Mp will do the same job but I think I need 1 twenty miles at least . The midweek sessions are handy enough so the core of the plan I think I’d is the long runs .

It’s an interesting plan for sure!

Just thought I’d thrown in last nights session as on the train and nothing better to do !

Planned session (Tues 13/06) : 10k pace pyramid intervals

With slower jogging in between for half the distance of the fast bit .

I definitely struggled with this one (breathing too labored)

Warm up approx 17 mins @ 6:20-6:30. Very scientific

Fast bits:

4:51,4:54,4:55,4:56,4:59,4:55,4:47

These were done up and down a country road and pacing hard cause watch all over the place whatever why the signal was falling in and out - some black spots there all right . Also very close and pollen infested .

The inbewteen bits :

6:18,5:53,6:22,6:21,6:29,6:50

I was not driving the pace here - somebody was on a mission . Generally intervals would be slower - but I wasn’t in mood for a debate - but by the last one I was driving the pace because needed to catch my breathe - getting a bit wheezy .

Anyways it didn’t leave my very confident that I was anyway fit - last year I was pegging up the same road doing VO2 max 2k repeats without a bother .

Logically I know I’m fit for me - but damn these bad nights

• Advertisement

Decided to give trim 5k a blast . Thought doing a trail run with such a lovely back drop would be lovely - no Pb expected but a nice little effort .

There were lots of people , hills and , grass . It was not easy to run on the grass , with lots of people in the way . I was putting a lot of effort into going nowhere . There were lots of steep little hills - which were tough out and the asthmatic in me needs a little more time for recovery before the next hill . Didn’t help the hills were grass lol - hello pollen .

I pushed hard but I’ll be honest it wasn’t pretty , (4:54,5:04,4:46(on a gravel path),5:15,5:11,4:41(extra .14k on watch)

By the fourth km I was in trouble , my breathing was very ragged , but legs felt ok. By the 5th km I was in wheezing terrority but remembered I had an inhaler in my pocket and used to to get up the final nasty hill . Final time 25:45.

Chest still not right today and using inhaler .

I’m torn between reasoning out the bad result - not used to the terrain , hills so close together ,pollen , relative times of others In the club etc to just wanting to rant - about how running just sucks.

I’d give it up only I like the chats and I love to eat. I know I’m fitter than that result . I know I did a tempo last week faster and chatted for half of if .

Sigh. So if you were doing a tenk k next week what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hey, my sister did that race last night too and was a couple minutes off her PB (actually a similar enough time to yourself) so I wouldn't get too disheartened by it. It was a tough course by all accounts and you gave it a good effort.

Is it Dunshaughlin you're doing??

Thinking about it anyway . There is a local 5k Friday night so tempted to just do that and sod it.

My training buddy was 40 secs a head - but she had lungs of steel and excels on hills .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Even the hill at the start looked tough. Add that to running on wet grass. I'd expect to get closer to a cross country than a road time on that course.

Bluesquare wrote:
    Thinking about it anyway . There is a local 5k Friday night so tempted to just do that and sod it.

A raced 10k might give you a better indication of your current paces for marathon training ? That would be my thinking anyway.

• Advertisement

Even the hill at the start looked tough. Add that to running on wet grass. I'd expect to get closer to a cross country than a road time on that course.

What would be the normal difference? That hill at the start was a monster - many more like it as well !

ReeReeG wrote: »
    A raced 10k might give you a better indication of your current paces for marathon training ? That would be my thinking anyway.

Thanks Logically - that makes sense . I have another tenk lined up though last week in July . Mind you that will be after 3/4 weeks of holidays !

Thanks Logically - that makes sense . I have another tenk lined up though last week in July . Mind you that will be after 3/4 weeks of holidays !

Well done on a tough 5k. It doesn't sound like a bad result at all for the course.

Maybe if you do the 10k next week then it'll give you a marker for the July 10k? That's how I'd look at it I think. 5ks are ten a penny especially with Park run and if your focus is DCM then the longer the better I'd say ;)

Thanks - what to target though? I’m thinking maybe 51 might be realistic but maybe I should just sod it and go for 50 anyway ? Or just throw the stupid watch in the bin and run fast !

I’ll taper though this week and only do two easy runs before Saturday .

Haven’t even finished this weeks mileage yet mind . Long run today .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd say race Dunshaughlin. By all accounts Trim was a tough 5k. A 10k next week will tell you a hell of a lot more than bailing out and doing the local 5k. :)

I'd say race Dunshaughlin. By all accounts Trim was a tough 5k. A 10k next week will tell you a hell of a lot more than bailing out and doing the local 5k. :)

I suspect I won’t be allowed bail and will be dragged kicking and screaming ! Pity both races on same weekend .

I’m did a slow 4 mile @ 6:20 on Thursday , the 5k on Friday ,20 mins Pilates on Saturday and then slow run yesterday :

11 mile @ 6:19. Quite a hilly route , but it was a nice chatty run and I enjoyed it .

Trying to take this recovery lark seriously and had choc milk and some almonds after .

27 miles for the week.

My plan this week is to do a slow tenk on Tuesday and Wednesday and then test until Sat. I won’t be doing a long run because of of the 10k but will try and do one next Tuesday so that will cover me for next week as well as off on holidays and want to minimize the amount of long runs I need to do . I enjoy holiday running but ten mile is a pain .

I intend to drop back on mileage slightly (aiming for 24-25 miles ). The official plan starts the last week I’m away and it starts at 28 miles so I should be ok.

I went a little of plan - did 6 mile on Tuesday - panicked a little and did 3*400 @ alleged 10k race pace in the middle . Over all pace 6:10 .
    Crap run before race box ticked anyway.

Then later in the evening I did miles with the kids @6:40

Yesterday the oldest lad pestered me to bring him with me - thought he would be much faster without this brother. So obviously 10k was a bit far - ended up doing a progressive 4K , 6:40,5:54,5:40,5:30. Got soaked in a rain shower , and after a quick change hopped on the treadmill to finish off . Couldn’t do more than 4K - so incredibly dull.

So on schedule to clock ok mileage without a long run. I may becoming a little obsessive which is a good thing- might get me motoring on holidays !

I’m lucky though - I always pack a running buddy !

Finally the stars aligned . 49:36

Report to follow

Whoo whoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Report to follow

Whoo whoo

Ah brilliant. Delighted for you. Looking forward to the report. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Report to follow

Whoo whoo

Yay! Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Hurray!

Oh fantastic!!! Well done! Looking forward to the report

Right here goes ....

I really didn’t know how this would go or how fit I actually was . I decided to pretend I was sub 50 fit anyway and start at that pace . I quite nervously positioned myself a bit behind the sub 50 pacers but I was close enough for them to guide me . I was lined up with my training buddies and planned to run with one of them in particular for a bit because she’s normally a smart pacer .

There was a lovely wide start so slipped into the pace quickly with no weaving . First km seemed like a nice little decline - the pacers seemed to be going a bit quicker then I’d expect but I assumed it was due to the course profile . (4:55). A little bit of panic - did I start too fast ??? This led to us pulling back slightly for the second km - the pacers got a little bit further ahead (5:00). The pace was feeling hard but manageable. I really didn’t want the pacers to slip out of sight so Started to reel them in a little in the third km - so pace went back to 4:55. It started to feel tough but I told myself 3k is always awful it gets better. The km markings were a bit away from where garmin beeped so that explained the seemingly aggressive pacer pacing . I lost my buddy at this stage - she fell back , I thought about slowing to keep with her but decided I just had to go with it - I knew she had a good finishing kick as well which I don’t . I settled into a good rhythm with kms 4,5 at 4:55 as well. Pacers remained same distance ahead .

At 5k I checked in with myself - how did I feel ? Breathing was good , Legs felt strong . Had I been possessed by an Alien . Right let’s get to 6k keeping under 5:00 mins - run the km your in !! Pacers seem to slip away again and I pushed to keep them in sight - 4:49. Panic again - I’m moving too fast , relax still 4k to go. Ok 7k and 8k were rumored to be tough - let’s do 7k and try to keep on target . A hill flip a hill !! Relax we got this - zoomed up it - no idea how , kept pushing , starting worrying again that was moving too fast . 7th km - clocked in at 4:54.

The 8th km is where things started to get real hard , there was a long incline and legs started to get heavy. Head started to feel a bit fuzzy - but negative nelly was not in the building . I recalled training sessions were it felt this hard so I knew once I pushed through it the fuzzy would go away . The 8th km clocked at 5:10 but I had run a 8km/5 Mile pb and a sub 40 so I was happy . I knew what ever happened now I was getting a pb anyway .

I allowed myself a smaller breather - slowed slightly then gave myself a good talking to. I have done 2k a million times in training - it’s felt awful but I hit the paces . I was working very hard now - to keep moving or so I thought but the 9th km clocked at 4:56. The pacers were getting closer and closer. They were now reeling me in now. Shouting back come on - you can do sub 50 pick it up pick it up ! Once I caught them they were were very encouraging,”keep pushing 4 mins and it will all be over”

My buddy then appeared from no where and was beside me she was pushing hard and I was matching her . She knew it was a big deal for me to go under 50 - I think she could have moved faster at this stage but stayed with me pushing and pushing . The pacer took our water and was like you have two mins to run 200 meters go for it . At this stage I was grunting like mad, loudly and embarrassingly , but I didn’t care. There was a good crowd now cheering. I went as fast as my legs could go - the clock read 49:53 as we turned the corner . One last push and it was done . Last km amazingly was 4:47 with the extra bit at the end for 16 secs 4:16. Now I can give up running happy . Clock time 49:58, Chip time 49:36

I felt strong throughout except the little blip at 8km. I was positive throughout - and didn’t let the usual negative stuff slip in . Was I positive cause I was strong or strong cause I was positive ?????

Anyways I’m delighted !!! Roll on Dcm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant! I'm delighted for you. Great running and a great mental attitude. It's nearly a shame that the old log didn't get to be a part of this momentous PB! :pac:

Brilliant! I'm delighted for you. Great running and a great mental attitude. It's nearly a shame that the old log didn't get to be a part of this momentous PB! :pac:

I might have to go back and update it. My buddies were like - you don’t look very happy , why aren’t you happy - jump around or something ! I was just relieved more than anything . I thought I would cry lol ( it is a big deal for me ) but nope held it together . I did crack open the good wine though - it’s been aging nicely waiting for this lol !

Ha ha - I had the exact same thought about the old log! You should maybe copy and paste this report into the old log for the sake of it!

Well done again. Bluesquare and great report. I loved reading it and was sitting on the edge of my seat at the end. Delighted for you. No giving up running now happy or not - use this to spur you on.

To close off the week - 6 miles recovery today @ 10:30min Mile brings this weeks mileage to 26.6 which is grand considering it contains a taper and a race.

Off to Spain on Wednesday for a bit and then on to Italy , so gone for three weeks - will be trying to do 25 miles a week whilst away to keep the momentum going . They will be slow miles .

Report to follow

Whoo whoo

YESSSSSSSS! Whoop whoop! Delighted for you, congratulations!
    Right here goes ....

I really didn’t know how this would go or how fit I actually was . I decided to pretend I was sub 50 fit anyway and start at that pace . I quite nervously positioned myself a bit behind the sub 50 pacers but I was close enough for them to guide me . I was lined up with my training buddies and planned to run with one of them in particular for a bit because she’s normally a smart pacer .

There was a lovely wide start so slipped into the pace quickly with no weaving . First km seemed like a nice little decline - the pacers seemed to be going a bit quicker then I’d expect but I assumed it was due to the course profile . (4:55). A little bit of panic - did I start too fast ??? This led to us pulling back slightly for the second km - the pacers got a little bit further ahead (5:00). The pace was feeling hard but manageable. I really didn’t want the pacers to slip out of sight so Started to reel them in a little in the third km - so pace went back to 4:55. It started to feel tough but I told myself 3k is always awful it gets better. The km markings were a bit away from where garmin beeped so that explained the seemingly aggressive pacer pacing . I lost my buddy at this stage - she fell back , I thought about slowing to keep with her but decided I just had to go with it - I knew she had a good finishing kick as well which I don’t . I settled into a good rhythm with kms 4,5 at 4:55 as well. Pacers remained same distance ahead .

At 5k I checked in with myself - how did I feel ? Breathing was good , Legs felt strong . Had I been possessed by an Alien . Right let’s get to 6k keeping under 5:00 mins - run the km your in !! Pacers seem to slip away again and I pushed to keep them in sight - 4:49. Panic again - I’m moving too fast , relax still 4k to go. Ok 7k and 8k were rumored to be tough - let’s do 7k and try to keep on target . A hill flip a hill !! Relax we got this - zoomed up it - no idea how , kept pushing , starting worrying again that was moving too fast . 7th km - clocked in at 4:54.

The 8th km is where things started to get real hard , there was a long incline and legs started to get heavy. Head started to feel a bit fuzzy - but negative nelly was not in the building . I recalled training sessions were it felt this hard so I knew once I pushed through it the fuzzy would go away . The 8th km clocked at 5:10 but I had run a 8km/5 Mile pb and a sub 40 so I was happy . I knew what ever happened now I was getting a pb anyway .

I allowed myself a smaller breather - slowed slightly then gave myself a good talking to. I have done 2k a million times in training - it’s felt awful but I hit the paces . I was working very hard now - to keep moving or so I thought but the 9th km clocked at 4:56. The pacers were getting closer and closer. They were now reeling me in now. Shouting back come on - you can do sub 50 pick it up pick it up ! Once I caught them they were were very encouraging,”keep pushing 4 mins and it will all be over”

My buddy then appeared from no where and was beside me she was pushing hard and I was matching her . She knew it was a big deal for me to go under 50 - I think she could have moved faster at this stage but stayed with me pushing and pushing . The pacer took our water and was like you have two mins to run 200 meters go for it . At this stage I was grunting like mad, loudly and embarrassingly , but I didn’t care. There was a good crowd now cheering. I went as fast as my legs could go - the clock read 49:53 as we turned the corner . One last push and it was done . Last km amazingly was 4:47 with the extra bit at the end for 16 secs 4:16. Now I can give up running happy . Clock time 49:58, Chip time 49:36

I felt strong throughout except the little blip at 8km. I was positive throughout - and didn’t let the usual negative stuff slip in . Was I positive cause I was strong or strong cause I was positive ?????

Anyways I’m delighted !!! Roll on Dcm

Great question! The chicken & egg scenario, very interesting but whatever the answer main thing is you were strong! What a super run, executed perfectly for sub 50. I'm so happy for you - really great running.
    I might have to go back and update it. My buddies were like - you don’t look very happy , why aren’t you happy - jump around or something ! I was just relieved more than anything . I thought I would cry lol ( it is a big deal for me ) but nope held it together . I did crack open the good wine though - it’s been aging nicely waiting for this lol !

Nice one ;)
    To close off the week - 6 miles recovery today @ 10:30min Mile brings this weeks mileage to 26.6 which is grand considering it contains a taper and a race.

Off to Spain on Wednesday for a bit and then on to Italy , so gone for three weeks - will be trying to do 25 miles a week whilst away to keep the momentum going . They will be slow miles .

Enjoy the hols :cool:

• Advertisement

Where are you going in Spain? We’re off to Salou Thursday. Hoping the weather won’t be as hot as threatened now or running could go by the wayside fairly fast!

Advertisement