Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is leap card any benefit on a laytown to bray trip?

• 15-06-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I've to get laytown to bray return next weekend, up Saturday return Sunday.
    I've a leap card but I think the first station I can tap the card would be balbriggan.
    Does anyone know if there's any option for me other than simply a return fare with whatever small fare decrease comes by using the leap card, if I can even do that?
    I'm aware I could try get to balbriggan and then I think there's an upper limit on the leap card spend for the day but it'd be nicer to think I could travel from laytown. Any knowledge appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Leap day cap is 9.20 and Bray to Ballbriggan is 4.90 on Leap. Ticket between Balbriggan and Laytown is 6.00 or 5.50 booked online (travel any service).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Leap day cap is 9.20 and Bray to Ballbriggan is 4.90 on Leap. Ticket between Balbriggan and Laytown is 6.00 or 5.50 booked online (travel any service).

Does that have me buying the laytown to balbriggan ticket and when the train pulls in to balbriggan, jumping out, up the stairs and across and down and tap and run up across and on again before the doors beeep beep!
    Any idea what the laytown to bray fare is, or where I might look for it.
    Thanks for the response.

I may have found the fare on a tfi app, it says 18.85 one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Does that have me buying the laytown to balbriggan ticket and when the train pulls in to balbriggan, jumping out, up the stairs and across and down and tap and run up across and on again before the doors beeep beep!
    Any idea what the laytown to bray fare is, or where I might look for it.
    Thanks for the response.

Get ticket office in Bray to issue the Balb-Laytown or do it in Connolly. You wont have the time to hop off in Ballbriggen. I would just book it online flexi ticket (same fare for all types) and print off in Bray.

An open return is 29.75 so with leap and cash fare your saving around 10. I should add I don't know a massive amount about Leap so others might be better to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The difficulty for the Laytown -> Balbriggan -> Bray trip is you'll be travelling without having tagged on for most of the trip. That ends up as a €50 (100?) standard fare.

Does Balbriggan have on platform validators on the southbound platform?

I'd say get on at Balbriggan southbound and just use leap. Northbound, buy Balbriggan -> Laytown and tag on at Bray. You won't tag off but it won't matter 'cos it's the max fare anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The difficulty for the Laytown -> Balbriggan -> Bray trip is you'll be travelling without having tagged on for most of the trip. That ends up as a €50 (100?) standard fare.

Does Balbriggan have on platform validators on the southbound platform?

I'd say get on at Balbriggan southbound and just use leap. Northbound, buy Balbriggan -> Laytown and tag on at Bray. You won't tag off but it won't matter 'cos it's the max fare anyhow.

Tagging on does not charge the max fare. It should be exceeding the max fare, putting the need on you to tag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tagging on does not charge the max fare.

Are you sure? When I tag on to the Dart it shows up as €4.90 and then shows a refund when I tag off. I don't ever recall it charging more on tag off when I've ridden the dart end to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It should be exceeding the max fare, putting the need on you to tag off.

For what reason?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bruthal wrote: »
    For what reason?

Better stats. We have atrociously poor knowledge or passenger figures and patterns as it stands.

Tag on only on buses is the biggest hole, then taxsaver Luas users who may tag on if they've been shouted at by an inspector but rarely tag off. Taxsaver rail users can use the stiles most stations have to get out too

Capped out Leap users not tagging off will be quite minor in comparison but could have a fairly major distortion on weekends when there'll be more of them due to weekly caps

L1011 wrote: »
    Better stats. We have atrociously poor knowledge or passenger figures and patterns as it stands.

Tag on only on buses is the biggest hole, then taxsaver Luas users who may tag on if they've been shouted at by an inspector but rarely tag off. Taxsaver rail users can use the stiles most stations have to get out too

Capped out Leap users not tagging off will be quite minor in comparison but could have a fairly major distortion on weekends when there'll be more of them due to weekly caps

Not a great reason to charge more than the max fare for not tagging off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've to get laytown to bray return next weekend, up Saturday return Sunday.
    I've a leap card but I think the first station I can tap the card would be balbriggan.
    Does anyone know if there's any option for me other than simply a return fare with whatever small fare decrease comes by using the leap card, if I can even do that?
    I'm aware I could try get to balbriggan and then I think there's an upper limit on the leap card spend for the day but it'd be nicer to think I could travel from laytown. Any knowledge appreciated...
    Look at Matthews buses https://www.matthews.ie/. They seem to accept the Leap card on that route, which could take you to the city centre then DART. Otherwise I'd just buy the IR return ticket and be done with it. Usually there's an online discount.

Matthews might be an option, stroll from Upper ó Connell Street to Connolly....
    I phoned IR earlier, I can get a ticket laytown to Ballbriggan okay but the staff member, who was very helpful, struggled to get a fare from balbriggan to bray as they are two journeys or is a broken journey or such...
    Could do a laytown to malahide return ticket and get off on malahide and tag the leap card and take the next dart to bray.
    Likely I'll just pay whatever it is for the 2 day return fare and try not think too much about how handy it'd be to start off from Balbriggan as opposed to two stops further up the track...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Are you sure? When I tag on to the Dart it shows up as €4.90 and then shows a refund when I tag off. I don't ever recall it charging more on tag off when I've ridden the dart end to end.

They were suggestion tag on and dont bother tagging off under the expectation you've used the max fare by going the furthest distance. That isn't how its setup. The need to tag off shouldn't be conditional, so it's set up to always require a tag off.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Not a great reason to charge more than the max fare for not tagging off though.

It's the same with luas. Has been like that with their own cards, when leap was but a sparkle in the RPA's eye. The intention is to have a need to tag off as being unconditional. So the honus is on the user to make sure they start and end the journey as needed to be charged the appropriate fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

They were suggestion tag on and dont bother tagging off under the expectation you've used the max fare by going the furthest distance. That isn't how its setup. The need to tag off shouldn't be conditional, so it's set up to always require a tag off.
    Tagging off isn't necessary (on Dart or Luas) if going the full fare distance.

It takes the max fare at tag on, and refunds any unused portion when I tag off. If I don't, it times out in 90 mins.

It's the same with luas. Has been like that with their own cards, when leap was but a sparkle in the RPA's eye. The intention is to have a need to tag off as being unconditional. So the honus is on the user to make sure they start and end the journey as needed to be charged the appropriate fare.

Ive forgot a few times. Its easy to forget on the luas to tag off. It charges the full fare as far as i could see, not extra.

Advertisement