Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 7th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. Saturday 21st September 2019

• 13-06-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Time to start training for this year's beer mile. This year we're moving the event back to a Saturday meaning that we'll be heading into Dublin city centre for celebratory/action-replay drinks afterward.

Location: The National Beer Mile track, Kilbogget Park, Cabinteely

Date: Saturday 21st September 2019

Rules:
    Rules (below) will be the same as before. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile.com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event
    Competitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

12 oz beers are hard to find in Ireland, so make sure to buy some in advance. This is a nonsense American measure, but it’s part of the official rules so make sure to find some.

Same as last year there will be both the men’s and women’s categories. I haven't bought medals yet but I plan to. And whoever gets the fastest time will win the severely coveted Irish National Beer Mile Trophy!

If you're interested in coming either PM me or add yourself to the facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/640208659797769/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

Here are last years results! We'll be doing well to beat last years top time of 6:18!

https://www.beermile.com/display/event_151295

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

WTF? 6:18 while stopping to have 4 bevvies? :eek:

Can I self identify as female? I could beat 36 mins and win the women's race. :pac:

P.S. I've probably less testosterone than Caster Semenya. :pac:

P.P.S. Brooklyn is a good one! It'd be my choice.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd like to think I could do better than 36 mins! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

6:18 wasn't even good enough for 3rd a few years ago.
    Standards have dropped :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Time to send Cathal back out :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'd like to think I could do better than 36 mins! :pac:

I like to think that too, but then I watched the video, and the female competitor really seemed to be taking ages with the drinking -- and I think I'd be the same! It would normally take me WAY longer than 36 minutes to get through 4 beers, never mind having to run a mile as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

My old housemate, who does the odd bit of jogging, and enjoys a beer, did the beer mile 3 years ago. She did one training session with me, got through 2 beers and 2 runs and quit. She didn't think she'd get through it. Anyway, she came along, and got through it in 12:xx minutes. It wasn't even good enough to come first in the women's race that year.

No excuses.

Must recruit her to do it again this year!

Chivito you say this every year! Will this be the year where it actually happens and she comes along???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I like to think that too, but then I watched the video, and the female competitor really seemed to be taking ages with the drinking -- and I think I'd be the same! It would normally take me WAY longer than 36 minutes to get through 4 beers, never mind having to run a mile as well!

Helen,

I think we need a north side version of this :)

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Helen,

I would like one I could walk (stagger!) home from.

I don't know why I think I can do this, by the way, I genuinely don't think I've ever had four beers in one evening, never mind in 36 minutes!

• Advertisement

I would like one I could walk (stagger!) home from.

I don't know why I think I can do this, by the way, I genuinely don't think I've ever had four beers in one evening, never mind in 36 minutes!

The longer you take the harder it gets, as the drunkness kicks in. Better off to just go at it hell for leather and aim for 12-15 mins.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The longer you take the harder it gets, as the drunkness kicks in. Better off to just go at it hell for leather and aim for 12-15 mins.

Are you doing it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Helen,

Pity the Kilbarrack track is gone.

Are you doing it this year?

I’ll be there alright. Always a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tempted to come out of retirement for this. :)

I’ve just taken over an hour to drink 500ml of IPA and also now have a headache after it. I may rethink this beer thing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This date could actually suit! After all these years....I might get to run a Beer Mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I’ve just taken over an hour to drink 500ml of IPA and also now have a headache after it. I may rethink this beer thing ...

Bit like training vs racing, no? Surely adrenalin counts for something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I've read some sandbagging stories over the years....... :pac::pac::D

2 issues here:

1) Drinking slowly v skulling is like comparing 10k to 200m. Totally different twitch fibers used.

2) IPA? No no. Absolutely no no. What you want for this is generic lager piss.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    2 issues here:

1) Drinking slowly v skulling is like comparing 10k to 200m. Totally different twitch fibers used.

2) IPA? No no. Absolutely no no. What you want for this is generic lager piss.

Absolutely agree. Moosehead seemed to be the go-to piss when I did this race a couple of years ago. Goes down pretty easily. Haven’t touched it since!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Moosehead seemed to be the go-to piss when I did this race a couple of years ago. Goes down pretty easily. Haven’t touched it since!

Will you do it again this year??

I doubt it very much, definitely just a one-off bucket list thing for me. Might watch though!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I doubt it very much, definitely just a one-off bucket list thing for me. Might watch though!

Not even to race your dear old session-mate?? (ie me!)

Clearing out my iCloud and found a few photos from the 2015 event to whet your beer running appetites (let me know if anyone wants any of these to be deleted or unshared).

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0tFl9J3mTamW291FgFV02G8Pw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Moosehead is nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭simonw

Had a training run with two newbies at the weekend, super slow because of the heat and the pints the previous night, but they now have a deep respect for the event :D

I ended up doing a beer mile in Stuttgart last weekend too! Managed 8:35 even though if was at the end of a day of heavy drinking and not long after a 20km run, so I should be on form for our beer mile this year :-D :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Going to give this a go. Not sure how I can practice without looking very suspicious?! .. heads out the door with running gear and beers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Going to give this a go. Not sure how I can practice without looking very suspicious?! .. heads out the door with running gear and beers

See above from DrDrankEngine. It's what people would call specific endurance training. Drinking and running on tired liver and legs.

Advertisement