Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sad to see Wild Beasts calling it a day. Was a big fan of the first 3 albums, I thought their output dipped on the last 2, but still a really special band to me. Have seen them on most tours they've done over here and have never disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sad to see Wild Beasts calling it a day. Was a big fan of the first 3 albums, I thought their output dipped on the last 2, but still a really special band to me. Have seen them on most tours they've done over here and have never disappointed.

shame, they had an interesting sound and Two Dancers and Smother were both excellent. Difficult for bands to carry on if they can't break out of that "cult following" bracket and make some actual money. However their last 2 albums were lacklustre IMO.

Interesting to note that The Horrors (who I would've had in the same bracket) have gone for a more commercial sound on their new one, & it's getting great reviews (though it's not really grabbing me in the way Skying did).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone else think Comedown Machine by The Strokes is very underrated? Listening to it for the first time in a while and it sounds amazing - well up there with Is This It and Room on Fire.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Mountain Goats are the band of our times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

lordgoat wrote: »
    The Mountain Goats are the band of our times.

Any suggestions of where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Achasanai wrote: »
    Any suggestions of where to start?

Second this. I've been blown away by individual songs, but I've yet to be floored by an entire album. But, I'm willing to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'm a huge fan.

I'll give two options:

1. The Sunset Tree. Some great songs, and a throughline of his struggles with his foster father.
    2. All Hail West Texas. Primarily becuase theres a podcast series on it at the moment called "I only listen to the mountain goats". The podcast goes song by song through the album and interviews John so its fascinating.
    Don't be daunted by the back catelogue!

Sunset Tree probably the easiest album. I also think the more recent ones quite approachable too. Beat the Champ is an amazing album and I didn't think much of it when it came out first.

All Hail is great as well, very personable relatable songs. Not enjoying the pod as much as I thought but you do get a good insight into JD and his history.
    I like Tallahasse too. Both albums have a big themes running through them.

Matthew 25 21 is my favourite song this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Not familiar with this band at all but I do like 'Rainy night in soho' ..will give this goths album a whirl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anS6bcPpvoQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

lordgoat wrote: »
    Sunset Tree probably the easiest album. I also think the more recent ones quite approachable too. Beat the Champ is an amazing album and I didn't think much of it when it came out first.

Will try Sunset Tree, and explore from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Sunset Tree is considered the "breakthrough" album, their following got a lot larger after that. Of the most recent albums, I'm most partial to Transcendental Youth. All Hail West Texas is probably the pinnacle of the boombox-recorded albums, and as mentioned already, there's a podcast running at the moment about that album that gives a lot of insight into it.

My personal favorite album is Get Lonely, but it's definitely quieter and more subdued than other albums. Big fan of "Life of the World to Come" as well... well, I guess I'm a big fan full stop, must have seen them at least a dozen times at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

"moon over goldsboro" was actually my first mountain goats song, I think I must of gotten into them around the time (or maybe a bit later) than when it was released.

An excellent album, a bit quieter but the songs will stick.

They're all i've really listened to in the last few months. JD is some man.
    Recog Scene - did you see them recently? Get Lonely got a great rendition.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Had tickets to both nights at the Fillmore here in SF back in June but ended up only being able to attend the 2nd night. No 'Get Lonely' that night but saw them do it twice on the Beat the Champ tour. Would love to see Wild Sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Now that I've grabbed my 2 tickets...

https://twitter.com/whelanslive/status/1139240518666395649

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

few years ago I would so be there now well idk helicopter remains their peak?

Advertisement