Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elton John Start time?

• 12-06-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody who was there tonight, could you let me know what time EJ came on at please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Anybody who was there tonight, could you let me know what time EJ came on at please.

On at 8:00.
    Finished just before 10:45.
    No support.
    No interval.
    Phenomenal.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Great stuff thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overall I thought it was an excellent gig but a few things I found somehwat annoying:

One was the lights are rarely off at the level they would generally be for most gigs. For some songs they were down low though and you can see two pics below showing both situations.

20190612-203541.jpg

20190612-204730.jpg

Might not bother most people but for me it's like being at the cinema and they accidentally leave the lights on. Just find it distracting, especially with people coming and going to the toilet and bars so damn much. At least with the lights down people milling about everywhere isn't as distracting.

Minor gripe II: some of the footage on the large screen is excellent, particular of him when he was younger (which was the case on a few songs) but there are three or four songs at the start where it's all just stuff that is not very interesting at all and is quite irritating as it detracts from Elton's performance.

Minor gripe III: Rocketman is one of the greatest songs of all time and so why rearrange it and inject utter nonsense into it. It went on so long people around me started yawning. Not suggesting a rearrangements can't work, sometimes they can, but this arrangement sucked. Maybe someone will upload it.

Most likely make the Daily Mail if someone sends them footage, but there is a hydraulic lift at the end which Elton steps on and which then goes up a slope and disappears into a screen as Elton faces the audience and waves..... well it stopped half way up and he look miffed to say the least.... turned around and you can see him having words and then it started moving again, but he didn't turn back around and so not the end to the show he would have liked and no doubt someone got a right earful.

Don't believe it's his farewell tour for a second. For a start he's playing 3 nights at the 3 Arena again in 18 months time :p

I know, it's technically the same tour, but it all just seems a bit of a cash grab to me, but to be fair, he puts on fantastic show. You never get the sense that he's just going through the motions and he's forever engaging with the crowd. Might even go again Christmas next, say farewell again.

If you're thinking of going and see that the only seats available are the usually poor seats near the wall in either Block A or G, don't worry about that as although that is usually a negative (restrictive view in the sense that you can only see the very front of the stage) that's not an issue here as Elton's stage in about 20 feet further forward than where the stage is generally positioned and so those seats, while usually poor ones, are actually excellently positioned to view this stage layout.

Looking at the picture, were you sitting in Block F area and guessing it's close to end of concert seeing as the people in Flat seats are standing in front?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Looking at the picture, were you sitting in Block F area and guessing it's close to end of concert seeing as the people in Flat seats are standing in front?

The people in the front rows of the flat seating were nearly always on their feet dancing through the entire show.
    Great show.

• Advertisement

Did anybody use the Peex earphones last night?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/never-suffer-sound-issues-at-a-concert-again-new-technology-promises-perfect-audio-wherever-youre-seated-38187567.html

Elton John was the 1st time they were used here.
    Newstalk did a review this morning and Jess Kelly said the sound was extremely good from them.

Yeah, Block F, Row 12.... and I'd say about 40 or so of those people aren't supposed to be there as there somewhat of an invasion of that area from those in the seats. Security were milling around with people just running past them but there was too many for them to stop. Most went back at the end of whatever song it was (can't remember now) but 40 or so stayed.

20190612-220223.jpg

There's Flat Seating, Row G, dead center seats on Ticketmaster right now fortonight's show at €188 each, might seem a lot (and it is) but they were €350 each when they went on sale.
    flat.png

You'd have to move fast on these though I'd say. We were trying to buy seats like these yesterday and they disappeared from our cart just as we were pulling the trigger.

One of my mates was thinking of buying those this morning and I mentioned he mightn't see anything if people were standing.
    I assume that was towards the end of the gig as normally they don't let people run into that area from other areas?

Only problem with Flat is you get a creak in your neck looking up.
    Also may have the problem of the camera guys in front of you, showing the side panels.
    That happened to me in Flat, Row A for Hugh Jackman.

One of my mates was thinking of buying those this morning and I mentioned he mightn't see anything if people were standing.
    I assume that was towards the end of the gig as normally they don't let people run into that area from other areas?

Was two thirds way through at a guess. Might not happen tonight though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

I was looking at my watch just as he climbed the steps to the left of the stage. 20:03 exactly he came on.

Good concert, the backing band were amazing especially Ray Cooper, the "old bald fellow" at the back playing percussion and other instruments.
    With about 6 songs left, there was a big surge to the front of the stage and security let them, looked like an organised thing.
    Thought Elton looked looked very unsteady on his feet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Good concert, the backing band were amazing especially Ray Cooper, the "old bald fellow" at the back playing percussion and other instruments.
    With about 6 songs left, there was a big surge to the front of the stage and security let them, looked like an organised thing.
    Thought Elton looked looked very unsteady on his feet though.

The crowd going to the front for the last few songs is a standard routine at any seated Elton shows, even the ones with just him and Ray. It's co-ordinated with the venue security, insofar that they're aware that it's endorsed by Elton and his team and there's agreement as to what point in the show it can happen.
    They always prevent people moving up once the space is filled, but I thought crowd movement tonight was more strictly controlled than last night, certainly from what I could see.
    They seem to have stationed stewards at key access points on the floor to prevent people who weren't already in the flat seats from getting up the front, whereas Wednesday night initially saw some people move from the tiered area up to the front without any restriction.

Both shows were excellent.
    It was just a pity that Davey Johnstone was missing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I felt for poor Elton. He looked like he was in pain as he walked. His knees are shot by the looks of the way he's walking.

Great show. I loved the stage itself. Well laid out. The screens were brilliant especially the middle one. Elton himself was on form. Still a great voice for someone his age. You'd need to remortgage your house to be able to afford almost 190 euros per ticket but a great gig all the same

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From tonight's show:

482716.jpg

Got to say it was over 2 and a half hours of quality. Last time I saw him was 20 years ago when he stropped of stage in Manchester after less than an hour. I had seen him a few times in the 1980s when he put on some great shows, but his voice problems caused a drop in quality for a while after that. What impressed me tonight was the way he's adapted many of his classics to suit his "later life" voice

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The stairlift seemed to work pretty well tonight:

482717.jpg

Beasty wrote: »
    The stairlift seemed to work pretty well tonight:

Ah that's good... :P

Was only for maybe 5 seconds or so, but was enough to make you think what the hell would they have had to resort to if they weren't able to get it going again as he was on a slope and so he couldn't just step out and nor could anyone just climb up to him. To add to it, at the precise moment the stairlift stalls, the echo effect of lines of his songs that was playing was "It's a little bit funny.."

Here's the moment:

And here of course is how it's supposed to go:

Advertisement