Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving Grace (Robert Plant Project) Irish Tour 2019

• 13-06-2019 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭

Saving-Grace-724x1024.jpg

Might as well start a thread on this, announced a couple of weeks ago and almost all the shows seem sold out. Have a ticket for the Waterford show and have to say looking forward too seeing it esp up close such a legend like Plant but god knws what this will be or what songs will be played. I imagine no Zepplin stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭villa2008

Never seen anything about this until now. Robert Plant in small venues will be great whatever songs they do.

Anybody who has a spare ticket to sell for Kilkenny or Waterford, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One slight worry I have is why Robert Plant is not marketed more for this. His name is just there in the name of artists. He might only do 1 or 2 songs with the band and then be gone

I imagine his name been there really helped ticket sales tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Plant is very much part of the group and will not be making a glorified cameo appearance for only a few songs. He does what he wants, musically, and this is his new direction. They have worked in In My Time of Dying into a medley, but that's the extent of any Zeppelin material to date.

He doesn't want it marketed as a Robert Plant Project. It's a collective, and he wants it to be seen as such, even though he's obviously the big name. When the tour was announced, someone did put up the tour poster on the 2019 Concert thread, but - because Plant's name isn't front and centre - I think it got overlooked. It actually got very few thanks and prompted no discussion.

Having said that, many people evidently knew all about it, as the smaller venues sold out very quickly. I was surprised The Helix didn't sell out, but, again, I think that's due to the fact that it's deliberately being marketed with Plant under the radar, which is probably his intention.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Plant is very much part of the group and will not be making a glorified cameo appearance for only a few songs. He does what he wants, musically, and this is his new direction. They have worked in In My Time of Dying into a medley, but that's the extent of any Zeppelin material to date.

He doesn't want it marketed as a Robert Plant Project. It's a collective, and he wants it to be seen as such, even though he's obviously the big name. When the tour was announced, someone did put up the tour poster on the 2019 Concert thread, but - because Plant's name isn't front and centre - I think it got overlooked. It actually got very few thanks and prompted no discussion.

Having said that, many people evidently knew all about it, as the smaller venues sold out very quickly. I was surprised The Helix didn't sell out, but, again, I think that's due to the fact that it's deliberately being marketed with Plant under the radar, which is probably his intention.

So be great nights

The Thursday after I'm going too dylan/young in Kilkenny. A week of seeing so much legends of music

Irish debut next Thursday, anyone going that night please post your thoughts on it. Seeing it in Waterford on the 19th

I'd love a bit of Zepplin but very much doubt it will be played

• Advertisement

Excited about this on Friday night

The 4 of us are a great band in there own right and then seeing a legend like Plant live in person in such small venues will hopefully make a great night

Saving grace reportedly very folk (english/Welsh country Inspired).

Anyone here at the Galway show tonight ?

The 4 of us didnt play 'Mary' or 'Bring my bad name down'

Disgrace lol

Amazing show

Seeing an icon like Plant up close is something too really cherish. Short setlist but quality makes up for it. Band are top class. Only a short snippet of a Zepplin song

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

What a moment to see Robert Plant step on the stage of the Theatre Royal. Great band, and Robert was very much part of the band rather than being the lead singer. Terrific four part harmonies on most songs.

Fair dues to the Waterford crowd as well, knowledgable about the music and respectful when necessary but also raising the roof. Band looked genuinely happy. Funny moment when somebody shouted out “thanks for coming to Waterford” and Plant smiled and said “it was on our way”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was the Galway gig in St Nicholas's Church, I thought initially that he was going to be in the Big Top tent for the Arts Festival but in the church I'd imagine it was extra special and right up close too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Led Zepplin reunion please

I knw they have a doc out this year and hopefully promoters flog $$$ at them too play together again. Highly doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

Great gig in Cork last night, lovely arrangements and harmonies, playing roots and folk, very enjoyable. He was just like another band member sharing lead and backing vocals.

fafy wrote: »
    Great gig in Cork last night, lovely arrangements and harmonies, playing roots and folk, very enjoyable. He was just like another band member sharing lead and backing vocals.

What's ur opinion on the 4 of us ??

really disappointed with there set Friday night. They didnt do any of there hits and the singer guy went on and on. There performance was good but the setlist really dragged them down for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've seen the Four of Us a few times, and any time it's been in support of someone else they tend not to do their big hits and just keep in more low key, not wanting to take any spotlight off the main act I think.

Anyone know the times for the show in the Helix (doors/support/main)? Trying to find out what they are, have found different times online and no-one is answering the phone in The Helix.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What's ur opinion on the 4 of us ??

really disappointed with there set Friday night. They didnt do any of there hits and the singer guy went on and on. There performance was good but the setlist really dragged them down for me

How many times do we need to hear “Mary”, ?

i liked it, all new tracks, they gave background to them, and good playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭mrk75

Probably same set I saw them do on Saturday at a small festival. They worked on the assumption that everyone was new to them (despite them being 30 years on the go) and, as you say, told their story and wove most of their latest album into the show.

I know it isn't their thread but they're as good as they've ever been and arguably better in terms of their song-craft. Nearly non-stop touring has also honed their live act to a high degree. Despite most people being familiar with their early "hits" for me their material from Classified Personal onwards has been more consistent in terms of quality.

Sorry! Back to Robert Plant...

Just to answer my own question, I got through to The Helix and The Four of Us are due on at 8pm. They said doors should be open at around 6:30 or so...

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Says 7.30pm on tickets and 7pm on MCD:rolleyes:

Anyone tell me the best bus out there from the city...cheers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Saw them in Belfast last night and again in Dublin tonight. Front row last night and a balcony tonight. Two excellent shows. I loved every song. I thought Matt Worley had a great soulful voice and I'd love to hear him sing more. Plant was plant. Great voice

The four of us (only two left in the band) were great too. The singer is a good storyteller. Between songs he keeps everyone entertained. Their 45 minute set is totally their current album. No oldies but good fun anyway.

First time in the Helix and I was well impressed. Comfortable seats, good sound and lighting and plenty of car parking space

• Advertisement

Yep, an excellent night, lovely venue, haven't been there in about 15 years.

Thought the Four of Us were great, the two guitars sounds excellent together and Brendan was in fine voice, both during and between songs. They actually did play a couple of 'oldies' but it was mainly the most recent album and I thought the crowd reacted really well to them.

Saving Grace were really good, I think I knew 1 song (Season of the Witch) but I enjoyed nearly all the others, amazing layers in both the music (which was impressive with only two instruments and drums) and the 4 part harmonies. It really felt like a collective band, not a Robert Plant vehicle, even with Plant clearly and not-surprisingly getting most of the attention and plaudits. Just a lot of talent on stage doing what they do extremely well...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I saw plant with band of joy in the Olympia several years ago. I think he did Cindy Cindy with them. He was very humble then happy to stand in the shadows and let others shine

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Grid. wrote: »
    Says 7.30pm on tickets and 7pm on MCD:rolleyes:

It was 7 pm doors to the venue atrium and bars, 7:30 pm into the auditorium, so both correct, as it were

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

Saw both bands at the Helix Wednesday night and it was truly wonderful.
    The soulfulness of Saving Grace, Mr Plant, Ms Suzi Dian and Mr Matt Worley covering the blues and folk rock of the music beautifully and with delicacy. Amazing concert and the audience was so respectful and appreciative. You could hear a pin drop.

I only lucked out hearing about the gig when seeing The Four of Us open for Fairport Convention at the Draiocht Theatre in Blanchardstown Dublin 15 back in May. My partner and I struck up a conversation with Brendan Murphy (Four of Us lead singer/songwriter) in the lobby when he was setting up his CD table next to Fairport's. Lo - Brendan told us about being asked to open for Saving Grace in July at the Helix and the rest is ticket heaven. After Wednesday's concert - saw Brendan in passing and made sure to thank him for letting us know.

Both Great Bands. Try to see next occasion!!

Advertisement