Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Dunmore Road is a prime example of inappropriate development and hopefully the mistakes there can be avoided in the future.

Probably a decade of building where the Council must have taken those developer's levies and spent them somewhere else, because the lack of infrastructure is appalling, even if some important improvements like a ring road and a play area have been added.

When Grange Cove was built you knew they really didn't care, as they allowed the only proper green area and playing pitches for an area with a population of maybe 10-12k to be used to build yet more houses on a road that was choked with congestion.

There is more than enough zoned land within the ring roads for housing to be built for at least the next ten years.

Regarding future development (i.e. ten years from now) I would be looking for a bridge at Belview Port, coming across around Faithlegg or Minaun. This could link up with the existing crossing that's there at the Great Island Power Station, and provide scope for pushing the existing ring road out past Williamstown and Killure.

A further vehicular bridge crossing will just get traffic stuck into Parnell St and the Quays quicker and be counterproductive. If traffic is ever allowed to cross at the NQ's bridge it should be public transport vehicles only.

I agree on the Grange Cove development. They could have with some foresight turned "Pat's Park" in to a fantastic green area awith amenities etc for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that is my vision and I even did that map for it, which is somewhere on a thread round here (the one using big maps which starts at Belview and meets the airport road.)

Here is the "Visual Impact Assessment" from the website.

https://www.knockboy.ie/sites/default/files/docs/VISUAL%20IMPACT%20ASSESSMENT.pdf

Like I said very visible. Bleugh. All that's wrong with edge of town developments in a few pictures. They are making their own good case not to allow it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Good to see some sort of planning gone in for the glass. Also council looking to do works in mount congreve....Saw both in this week's munster express.

Also good to see number 44 (near centra, was pop up art gallery at Christmas) the quay planning for boutique hotel, local family apparently, ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Max Powers wrote: »
    Good to see some sort of planning gone in for the glass. Also council looking to do works in mount congreve....Saw both in this week's munster express.

Also good to see number 44 (near centra, was pop up art gallery at Christmas) the quay planning for boutique hotel, local family apparently, ideal.

What is the planning gone in for the glass for. Be a great spot for student housing which might in turn bring Templars Hall back to normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford Crystal site would have the potential to deliver hundreds of houses or thousands of apartments.

There seems to be a shortage of quality apartments in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

What is the planning gone in for the glass for. Be a great spot for student housing which might in turn bring Templars Hall back to normality.

Not housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Gardner

if i'm not mistaken i did see a map of a proposed new route for the 3rd bridge. it is basically about 100m west of the existing Belview port (N29 Route) and crossing the River just before the Waterford Castle and into areas known as Terrerath, Ballycanavan, Halfway House, Passage Cross Ballygunner Cross and then joining the outer ring road between Killure and Ballindud.
    it basically created a ring around the City. to me this proposed route seems to be the most logical route instead of having another bridge in the City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Gardner wrote: »
    if i'm not mistaken i did see a map of a proposed new route for the 3rd bridge. it is basically about 100m west of the existing Belview port (N29 Route) and crossing the River just before the Waterford Castle and into areas known as Terrerath, Ballycanavan, Halfway House, Passage Cross Ballygunner Cross and then joining the outer ring road between Killure and Ballindud.
    it basically created a ring around the City. to me this proposed route seems to be the most logical route instead of having another bridge in the City
    We need another bridge in the city too.

They ate not mutually exclusive

We're not getting two more bridges. We'll be lucky if we get one.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    We need another bridge in the city too.

They ate not mutually exclusive

where exactly ?

Here presumably.

2SkdS.jpg

Of course if it needs to be an opening span bridge then you're talking big money again.

Here presumably.

2SkdS.jpg

Of course if it needs to be an opening span bridge then you're talking big money again.

so more traffic through the City and out the Mall and Parnell St so 2 bridges within 500m of one another into an existing bottle neck?

not for me! still think the proposed route i stated above is the way to go. you have the existing access for the City and an alternative route East and West of the City environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We're not getting two more bridges. We'll be lucky if we get one.

That does not mean two are not needed.

Certainly some means of encircling the city (including the river, NQ etc) with a dual carriageway, is required.
    A 'down-river' bridge would be required to be tolled also I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Anyone up around Hennesseys road and castle street lately.....? Place is completely dug up and the narrow lane link to new street is coming along nicely.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Noticed the old bowling alley/pc world building is available to let again . Assuming this means supermacs aren't going ahead with the drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Noticed the old bowling alley/pc world building is available to let again . Assuming this means supermacs aren't going ahead with the drive through.

That's odd, thought it was all go there

Wanderer78 wrote:
    That's odd, thought it was all go there

Yeah me too but new sign up there saying to let and bollards blocking the entrance

Yeah me too but new sign up there saying to let and bollards blocking the entrance

Did spot the bollards there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Oh really? That is surprising if that isnt going ahead now. Potential gold mine there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Opening before Christmas is what Pat Mcdonagh said when they got the planning permission,Supermacs is going in the front and pc world is a seperate building i thought

Gardner wrote: »
    so more traffic through the City and out the Mall and Parnell St so 2 bridges within 500m of one another into an existing bottle neck?

not for me! still think the proposed route i stated above is the way to go. you have the existing access for the City and an alternative route East and West of the City environs.

The funny thing is i think that second bridge would work there but only if there was a third one out further toward the Dunmore road which would end up taking a good chunk of traffic away from the quay bridges anyway.

I know its all ifs and buts and a whole load of delusion as we wont get 1 new bridge nevermind 2. Still though would be nice :D

Opening before Christmas is what Pat Mcdonagh said when they got the planning permission,Supermacs is going in the front and pc world is a seperate building i thought

I saw the quotes from him about opening for Xmas. I thought they would take the whole complex there as the front building doesn't have a lot of room for parking , a drive around and an entrance from cork road . But maybe the to let sign is for the pc world building so .
    Good to see ramen starting well but only doing half the car park there looks terrible. A waste ground on the side of the main road looks really bad

I was told via work that the whole lot was going to be supermacs. Back part supposedly stores and the likes. Don't know if that is the case though. Havent heard anything about it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

I saw the sign and I thought the same. I had a look on line and found this:

https://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Prime-Retail-Showrooms-Of-22000-Sq-Ff-Available-In-Lots-Corner-Cork-Road--Inner-Ring-Road-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/857802/

So it looks like it's still going ahead but it's going to be smaller than I expected as I thought they were going to use the whole site.

Does anyone know if the Ballybeg Leisure & Training Village is still going ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I saw the sign and I thought the same. I had a look on line and found this:

https://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Prime-Retail-Showrooms-Of-22000-Sq-Ff-Available-In-Lots-Corner-Cork-Road--Inner-Ring-Road-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/857802/

So it looks like it's still going ahead but it's going to be smaller than I expected as I thought they were going to use the whole site.

Found the planning application for it

http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=389577&format=jpeg

http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=18548

Does anyone know if the Ballybeg Leisure & Training Village is still going ahead?

Where was that going?

[/quote]
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where was that going?
    On a 30-acre site surrounding Tesco ballybeg.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/ballybeg-leisure-village-is-ideal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Just posted by Cllr Seamus Ryan on Twitter

“A welcome planning notice has gone in this week for the former #Waterford Crystal site. If approved the work will consist of alterations to the structure internally and externally with a portion of the former showroom being converted to offices and a retail unit and food court.”

Advertisement