Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a brand new phone from a Phones Repairs Shop. Can I get a refund?

• 10-06-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a Huawei phone from a Phone Repairs Shop. It is a brand new phone, plastic still on it and everything. It cost €400. I found out there is an issue with it but the phone shop said it is manufacturers warranty, so contact Huawei.

When I bought it, they wrote me a receipt and wrote down 1 year warranty on it. They never specified it was just a manufacturers warranty. I messaged them saying I want a full refund or a swap for one of their other phones. They replied:

"all our sold phones comes with manufacturers warranty only , if you have any problem with it Contact to Manufacture of the phone . cheers"

What are my rights. Can I go there and demand a full refund? I paid them €400 cash. They never told me I couldn't return it for a full refund.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Your rights are as follows:

1. Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. The shop must deal with you.
    2. However, the shop is not obliged to give you a refund. They can choose to offer you a replacement or a repair.
    3. If you think that only a refund is acceptable, and they don't give you one, your next step is the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

BaRcOe wrote: »
    They never told me I couldn't return it for a full refund.

What's wrong with it? When was it bought? If it's faulty they have to provide one of the 3 Rs.

You have no entitlement to a refund straight off the bat. If it's faulty they can repair (most places would swap/refund if brand new but this is just shop policy, not law).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Your rights are as follows:

1. Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. The shop must deal with you.
    2. However, the shop is not obliged to give you a refund. They can choose to offer you a replacement or a repair.
    3. If you think that only a refund is acceptable, and they don't give you one, your next step is the small claims court.

Ok thank you!
    theteal wrote: »
    What's wrong with it? When was it bought? If it's faulty they have to provide one of the 3 Rs.

You have no entitlement to a refund straight off the bat. If it's faulty they can repair (most places would swap/refund if brand new but this is just shop policy, not law).

All Huawei P20 Pros and similar model phones have an issue with Instagram Stories where, when you upload to your story (Story being more than one 15 second clip), the audio and video goes off Sync. Huawei knows of the issue but hasn't fixed it in the past 6 months when it came about. Its almost a deal breaker for anyone who depends on Instagram for their following / business.

To me, it's faulty, not working with the most used app in the world. Not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ok thank you!

All Huawei P20 Pros and similar model phones have an issue with Instagram Stories where, when you upload to your story (Story being more than 1 15 second clip), the audio and video goes off Sync. Huawei knows of the issue but hasn't fixed it in the past 6 months when it came about. Its almost a deal breaker for anyone who depends on Instagram for their following / business.

To me, it's faulty, not working with the most used app in the world. Not fit for purpose.

Thats a software/3rd party issue rather than a phone manufacture fault. Good luck trying to prove that the fault lies with Huawei and getting the shop to accept what you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

All Huawei P20 Pros and similar model phones have an issue with Instagram Stories where, when you upload to your story (Story being more than one 15 second clip), the audio and video goes off Sync. Huawei knows of the issue but hasn't fixed it in the past 6 months when it came about. Its almost a deal breaker for anyone who depends on Instagram for their following / business.

Oh is that what it is?

I noticed that happening with a video I put on Instagram before - I didnt realise it was a known bug. Its not just the stories, it happens with any video you put on Instagram.

Thats not a phone fault, thats a software issue.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Thats a software/3rd party issue rather than a phone manufacture fault. Good luck trying to prove that the fault lies with Huawei and getting the shop to accept what you believe.

I know, its not a phone fault. I probably will survive with the issue. Just an annoyance.
    ....... wrote: »
    Oh is that what it is?

I noticed that happening with a video I put on Instagram before - I didnt realise it was a known bug. Its not just the stories, it happens with any video you put on Instagram.

Thats not a phone fault, thats a software issue.

Yeah see here for the sh** show. So many angry bloggers / businesses that use Instagram to keep things going and have had to switch because of it. Haven't tried regular Insta Posts yet. Although you can just upload on a different phone if needs be for regular posts and not stories.

I Stream on the side, and my followers love my Insta stories, so now I'll just have to re-think when I need to record something longer, I'll just stop it early, and record in chunks instead of letting the next clip come in.

There seems to be a few workarounds (dunno if they work).

Its annoying alright but not a phone fault.

....... wrote: »
    There seems to be a few workarounds (dunno if they work).

Its annoying alright but not a phone fault.

Haha believe me, none of the workarounds work, hence so many angry people in that Huawei Thread. And Huawei Support ain't so efficient apparently...

Anyway, thanks all, I probably won't end up bringing the phone back. I will survive with the small issue, and maybe some day Huawei will fix their stuff. Not worth the hassle going back to the dodgey phone shop and debating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Going back to the shop to debate which ? A refund? As it's been said it's not their issue. Its a software issue which is out of their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Sounds like someone who is butt hurt because they bought a Huawei phone that may soon become useless.

• Advertisement

Sounds like someone who is butt hurt because they bought a Huawei phone that may soon become useless.

No issue with current models, this has been confirmed.

Its new models that *may* have problems, but again, we wont really know anything until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

did you buy online or from bricks and mortar shop?

If online you have cooling off period for whatever reason...if bought in shop then its your problem as the phone is working as designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please try to offer constructive advice that, you know, might actually help the OP

dudara

Advertisement