Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood movies ruined by rewatch

Options
  • 12-06-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

What movie did you remember fondly from your childhood only to realise that they are rubbish after rewatching them when you are older?

Mac and me is an example that I can think of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Labyrinth - rewatched and cannot unsee the number of Bowie crotch shots...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

caff wrote: »
    Labyrinth - rewatched and cannot unsee the number of Bowie crotch shots...
    Yep, its not as good as you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Labyrinth stands the test of time, it's still great. While the Goonies is still good it doesn't evoke the same feelings it did when I watched it over and over as a kid.

DARYL is not great, I think the draw in the 80s was that it had computer games.

Any nineties flick starring Martin Lawrence.

The goonies definitely has lost something with the passing of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

"Top gun" was definitely better in my memory than after a rewatch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found The Goonies and Labrynth were still brilliant.

Masters of the Universe however....re-watching that was a mistake though it is pretty entertaining how bad it actually is in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Basic Instinct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Haven’t rewatched but read that The Neverending Story now is a depressing boring turd of a film, but as a kid I remember it being weird but great.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

The Omen. Terrifying as a child, absolute dung nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Any nineties flick starring Martin Lawrence.

Ugh, I remember when I was younger I used to think Big Momma's House and Blue Streak were 2 of the funniest films ever made.

I rewatched them recently and not sure what I was thinking. I guess my humour has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I rewatch The Goonies all the time, still think it's great....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

iwilldare wrote: »
    The Omen. Terrifying as a child, absolute dung nowadays.

I still like it.

Its the scene in Windsor Safari Park that scared me the most - and it still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Star Wars. The first movie is slow by modern standards and some of the dialogue is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

loyatemu wrote: »
    Star Wars. The first movie is slow by modern standards and some of the dialogue is terrible.

Cheesy wipe transitions between scenes

loyatemu wrote: »

I never saw it as a child and watched it for the first time as an adult, a few Christmas's ago.

I must admit, I couldnt really see what the fuss was about!!!

roger rabbit doesn't hold your interest these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

redmgar wrote: »
    roger rabbit doesn't hold your interest these days.

Was Jessica that held mine :p

redmgar wrote: »
    Yep, its not as good as you remember.

The movie or the crotch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

the newer Star Wars films still use these wipe transitions which turned out to be quite difficult to replicate using modern technology.

• Advertisement

The movie or the crotch?

I dont think we should be using this thread to cast aspersions on Bowies crotch.

I myself have always found it to be acceptable.

....... wrote: »
    I dont think we should be using this thread to cast aspersions on Bowies crotch.

I myself have always found it to be acceptable.

Just so we clear that up. The Bowie shall not be diminished:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

....... wrote: »
    I still like it.

Its the scene in Windsor Safari Park that scared me the most - and it still does.

Yip, that scene is spooky.

The nanny, Mrs. Baylock is also quite creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a big favourite of mine as a child but having watched it lately realise it hasnt aged particularly well. Its very violent for a family film and Kate Capshaws character is annoying as hell.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a big favourite of mine as a child but having watched it lately realise it hasnt aged particularly well. Its very violent for a family film and Kate Capshaws character is annoying as hell.

Aye, Raiders of the Lost Ark aged better.

Pinocchio

Gippetto, FFS. How he survived so long. Forest Hump is a scholar in comparison.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's a defining characteristic of a Star Wars movie, whether it's cheesy or not.

Watched both The Goonies and Labyrinth with my kids recently and they really liked them. Though today the sexual undertones in Labyrinth would never be let out a studio door in these days of ensuring nobody is offended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dades wrote: »
    Though today the sexual undertones in Labyrinth would never be let out a studio door in these days of ensuring nobody is offended.

I loved and still love Labyrinth, but you have to admit that the Goblin King is creeping on a vulnerable teenager...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any of the Police Academy films. . . :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Flight of the navigator
    Short Circuit

Hate to admit that as loved them both as a kid.

Advertisement