Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Bans pigeon and crow shooting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

J.R. wrote: »
    Remember him well - as a kid.

4AF6EE1100000578-5593361-Coming_soon_Mackenzie_Crook_is_poised_for_a_return_to_British_te-a-2_1523266454429.jpg

Wouldn't be allowed these days, I'm sorry to say. The actor would have to be a chromatically diverse trans-sexual, and even that could be a problem - showing them as disadvantaged in the clothing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No wonder near enough everyone in the UK hates the BBC.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

And everybody loves RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

tac foley wrote: »
    Wouldn't be allowed these days, I'm sorry to say. The actor would have to be a chromatically diverse trans-sexual, and even that could be a problem - showing them as disadvantaged in the clothing department.

Na there’s be another crowd out there that’ll protest to say he identifies as a scarecrow he has rights. Scarecrows rights. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Well, in the dust of the media onslaught launched by Packham and his friends, have you ever wondered why ordinary people in the UK feel they are not listened to and voted for Brexit?

Now you know - the middle class elite have replaced the aristocracy in the establishment and they really stick together.

Did not see one mention of the petition to sack Packham, but he and his media buddies have turned poor Chris into a victim. Some writers even claim a Wicker Man-type conspiracy exists in the countryside, controlled by the aristocratic landowners.

So, in response a counter-petition has been launched on change.org to oppose the petition to have him sacked from the BBC.

49 signatures as of a few minutes ago. Ha!

https://www.change.org/p/keep-chris-packham-at-the-bbc-petition-to-keep-chris-packham-at-the-bbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Consider,under the EU, pigeons have a season and we only shoot them "out of season" as a result of a derogation, which could be withdrawn anytime. This UK thing is the result of EU legislation ( I think).

Dai John wrote: »
    Consider,under the EU, pigeons have a season and we only shoot them "out of season" as a result of a derogation, which could be withdrawn anytime. This UK thing is the result of EU legislation ( I think).

It is,but the UK had to be different on that as well.The whole problem with a season for pigeons,is like Muntjac and rats,they pretty much breed all year long.
    So a season for them is kind of pointless.Add onto the fact that this legislation was drawn up by little men and women in offices in Brussels,Who have zero clue about the countryside,or wild species,apart what they read in important papers written by Dr/Professor N.Utter which claims that common crows and piegons are at extinction levels,because of his "windshiled survey "around Berlin..Instead in reality thanks to modern farming methods,habitat destruction and pesticides of Europe mainland,a crow or piegon is a rare enough site,and therefore it must be like this all over the entire EU!! Therefore species that inundate some parts of the EU like crows and piegons in the British isles,are now protected.When these people DO actually go out into the field,wonders! There is actually MORE than their surveys show and guess what?It breeds and reproduces at regular intervals per year.But perish the thought that we might change the seasons.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ohhhh! The poor snowflake!
    How many times have hunters,especially women hunters,masters of hounds, fox hunters,mink farmers, research scientists,fishermen and all the fieldsports community recived death threats?Or letter bombs?Or been openly harrassed, intimidated or even set upon or even in some cases have had ther graves of their relatives desecrated,or property destroyed by the spikey haired, nosed ringed, black clad balacalaved thugs,and no one has had any sympathy from Piers Morgan[Gob****e] or SKY news or the like???...Grand Total NONE!!!
    So heres a thing there Graham,maybe you should be careful about chucking stones in your glass house,and consider your sin free existence before you throw the first stone perhaps???

VERY VERY well said

Re: Mr Packham and his strange ideas.

EXCERPT FROM AN ARTICLE BY JEREMY CLARKSON;

This is the problem with conservation. Protect one species and it’s going to have an impact on another. It’s all a question of balance and being sensible. Which, I’m afraid, is hard when our government is being advised by a Swedish teenager and Chris Packham.

Packham is a wildlife presenter on the BBC, and I like him. He’s a good communicator, fun to be with, hugely knowledgeable about punk rock and able to tell a corn bunting from a reed bunting at 400 paces. He’s also a fine lobbyist. So fine, in fact, that, having teamed up with a former conservation director of the airborne wing of the Labour Party, the RSPB, he was able to convince the government’s conservation watchdog, Natural England, to announce that it is now illegal to shoot pigeons.

Now I’m not going to be silly about this. Last weekend, as the sun blazed down, I very much enjoyed sitting in the garden listening to the wood pigeons cooing away. It’s a sound that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. And I don’t hold with the argument that town pigeons should be hounded to extinction because they crap on your car. They do, but it’s not a big issue to get a hosepipe and wash it off.

However, I’m a farmer these days, and one of the things I grow is oilseed rape. I grew enough last year to make 100,000 bottles of vegetable oil.

This year, though, things are tricky, because a weed called black grass, which is immune to herbicides, is ravaging the crop.
    And what’s left is being half-inched by pigeons. I’m told that I can try scaring them away with loud bangs and kites and statues of Jon Pertwee, but I’m also told by the Viyella army of local countrymen that none of these things actually works. You have to shoot them. And now we can’t.

Score one for Packham and Corbyn’s RAF. But hang on, because if there’s less oilseed rape, that means there’s less vegetable oil, which will drive demand for alternatives such as palm oil. And palm oil production is what’s destroying the jungles of Indonesia, and with them the orang-utan.

So what the do-gooders have done by helping the pigeon, which is as prolific as nitrogen, is kill more of Borneo’s endangered orange monkeys. And that’s obviously idiotic. Happily, there seems to be a solution.

For nearly 40 years farmers have been using a so-called general licence to shoot pigeons, because they’re protected under wild bird legislation, drawn up to save important stuff like the osprey and the golden eagle and so on.

In short, you could get permission to shoot certain kinds of common and unimportant wild birds, such as pigeons and crows and magpies, if it was bleeding obvious they were stealing eggs, pecking out the eyes of lambs or devastating crops. Well, thanks to Chris Packham’s lot, that permission has now gone.

There is one idea for keeping the pigeon under control. Simply remove it, along with the crow and the magpie, from the legislation covering wild birds. Then no special permission to kill it is necessary. It’s not as if this minor shift in the law would cause millions to take to the countryside each weekend in weirdo NRA combat strides, because to shoot a pigeon you need a gun, and you still need a licence for that.

But will the government allow a pigeon free-for-all? It should. It makes sense. We live in weird times, though, when governments in general and ours in particular are entirely detached from the real world. They seem to live in a universe full of unicorns and magic fairy dust.

• Advertisement

Thank you, Cass, for putting this post where is ought to have been. I just could NOT locate the thread....put it down to old age and general decrepitude.

Right now there are four of us making Packham dolls to stick pins into.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

Cass wrote:
    Keep spreading the word because our Government has a habit of "borrowing" our neighbours laws if they think the social justice mob want it. So to avoid even allowing such a ban here, even int he form of a dirty thought in some TDs head, lets help get it stopped there.

Cass wrote:
    In the 6 hours since i posted the above it has gone up by over 7,000 (by the by i'm in no way claiming credit for that, just pointing out how quick it's rising).

134,500 signatures now signed and shared he used his platform to push his agenda he hasn't a clue of the damage caused by corvids

tac foley wrote: »
    Re: Mr Packham and his strange ideas.

EXCERPT FROM AN ARTICLE BY JEREMY CLARKSON;

The British fieldsports and shooting orgs could do worse than get mr Clarkson aboard as a media figurehead.Loved/hated in equal amounts,he know how the Brit media works and how to stir the shtpot when needed.

I know that some of you here have expressed and interest/opinion in the shenanigins foisted on the shooting population of the UK, Northern Ireland included, of course, so I thought I'd post this letter from BASC.

It's a LONG read, but it does cover everything proposed by the new legislation, and shows it up for the mismanaged, misguided crock of s****e that is is.

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2019/05/BASC-General-Licence-Submission-FINAL.pdf

134,500 signatures now signed and shared he used his platform to push his agenda he hasn't a clue of the damage caused by corvids

Compared to 73 people who want to keep him in the BBC.:D:D:D:D

https://www.change.org/p/keep-chris-packham-at-the-bbc-petition-to-keep-chris-packham-at-the-bbc

Mr Packham is as popular as a f*rt in an elevator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

nova23 wrote: »
    I like crows

So do I! The problem is though, that because of human activity, crow numbers are very high. They are very adaptable, and opportunistic. This is great news for the crows, but not so good for other wildlife. Many of which are struggling in modern times. So high predation, on struggling species, is a real problem that we can't ignore. Yes, crows aren't the reason for the decline in other species, but they do put extra pressure on those species.

Then we have the problem with crows e.t.c eating our food. Another thing we just can't ignore. We are talking about livelihoods. If a farmer is at a loss because of crows eating a large percentage of the crops he grows, then he's going to stop growing it. Thats just fact. Prices of veg etc are cheap nowadays, and farmers are already struggling to make a profit. There are many types of deterrent' s out there, that only work for a short period before they are ignored. The only thing that really works is a shotgun I'm afraid.

Then we have predation on lambs, and spoiling of fodder. This is a very real problem, and another which cannot be ignored. We rely on farmers to supply our veg and meat. How can we tell them to stop protecting their livelihoods. How can we tell them to ignore seeing lambs with no eye's or tongues! How dare we!

In an ideal world, man and nature can exist without confrontation. But it's far from ideal isn't it. For all the luxuries us humans demand, something pays the price. Thats life, and we all have a part to play in the blame game. Some of us own it, and try to do our best in keeping a balance. Others are happier with fairies and unicorns, and watership down, and keep telling themselves that they are not taking part in the destruction of our planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I like crows

Watch the first 3 mins of this.
    https://youtu.be/EaMa1WHZOUs
    I admire crows for what they are which is a highly intelligent and successful scavenger and predator. Mice literally don’t do any harm to anyone but people have no problem killing them if they are in there home, similarly there should be no problem killing crows if they are causing an actual problem.

I like Chris packham

So you agree with Chris's demand for the culling of deer? Just wondering where you stand with his thinking. Personally, I don't understand what he's trying to achieve. Demanding one species well known for having a negative effect on vulnerable species, to be left alone, whilst demanding another species which is guilty of eating grass to be culled. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

The reason Chris and most other people want deer culled, is the same reason they want cyclists and pedestrians culled.'they get in the way of their cars !',
    as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Driving near Cashel today and saw a huge flock of crows, must have been a thousand or two. Is this what the future holds left to the likes of the pink and fluffy brigade ?

Dai John wrote: »
    Driving near Cashel today and saw a huge flock of crows, must have been a thousand or two. Is this what the future holds left to the likes of the pink and fluffy brigade ?

We'll seen as the Green Party and Social Democrats done well in the local elections, we may have to worry about a lot more than crow shooting I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

The reason Chris and most other people want deer culled, is the same reason they want cyclists and pedestrians culled.'they get in the way of their cars !',
    as simple as that.

In the UK there are an estimated 74,000 deer/vehicle collisions annually, resulting in 100,000 people injured and some 20 deaths. In the USA the average death toll is 200 people annually. It is also a fact deer play a major role in the spreading of Lyme disease and various other ailments to both man and livestock. This makes deer both Great Britain and the USA’s most dangerous animal.
    Read more at https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/deer-stalking/deer-population-55310#qTIzdzVG51tqVHP7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Shooting crowd in the UK have only themselves to blame .. I remember Sporting Gun used to award £15 for people who sent in photos of them selves and big (enormous sometimes) bags of pigeons. They’ve promoted mass shooting of pigeons and crows for decades over there, Fieldsports Britain kept it up and god knows what on Facebook. I personally can see why they got into this mess, they were arrogant enough to think they can do what they want in the name of crop protection without any regulation, it was only a matter of time before some smart a*rse anti found a loop to stop the lot. It should be a lesson to us to self regulate, because we sure don’t want the antis regulating for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Shooting crowd in the UK have only themselves to blame .. .

I'm not sure if I agree with your post, firstly it was not unregulated, it may have been badly regulated in both the spirit and the wording of said regulations but certainly not unregulated.

Yes in this case the anti's exploited a poorly worded and enacted piece of regulation / directive, but it was not because of what the shooting community had done in respect of public image. Most of society are on the fence about alot of things, happy to go about our day to day activities once no one f#cks with us, so its very easy for a small vocal element, the squeaky wheel, to drum up support, pseudo or not, for thier causes. Even if the support is in the minority based on national figures, tens of thousands of voices are louder then a million silent thoughts, and once inacted, decreed etc, etc its very hard or slow to change.

There is a hugh triving field sports culture in the UK which straddles both the comercial and hobby participation. Land management coupled with vermin / game controll on the face of it, is more actively applied there then you would find here.

Vast areas of land are given over to crop production (for many years these crops were alien to the farming community here) Residential and migratory pigeon flocks would target these crops at various times of the year and therefore required justifiable controll.

Bring the two together and you will obviously have a happy union, land managers controling rdsmage / loss and hunters getting bags. Large bags of pigeons and crows should help educate those uninformed as to the actual reality of the problem flocking birds on the environment wether husbanded or natural.

Unfortunately we will always be targets for the looney fringe no matter what publicity or media we engage in it will be seen as wrong. So no, if the hunting community want to share thier experiences via media and especially when its legal then why not? We can't hide ourselves in the shadows, this only makes us out to be something that is suspect, secretive and distasteful.

What I laugh about is, it is in fact mother nature that is the great destroyer and not ourselves. Anecdotal (some where there are facts!) would suggest that the hard winters or irregular seasonal weather conditions will kill off more pigeons then the hunters, this is usually observed by the hunters themselves at various times of the year. But the inevitable always happens when the conditions become favourable again the grey hordes return in force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Countryside rally in London next month, i can see trouble at it, from the greens and anti's.

Last one of those events put one million people on the streets of London,compared to a dozen antis in all shapes and sizes.

• Advertisement

I was one of them.

Advertisement