Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #9 Caranica

• 10-06-2019 8:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Monday everyone!

We have the ninth Know Your Elves- next time will be double figures!! :eek:

The June bank holiday has come to an end, and the weather continues to be... :confused:

Welcome, Carnica!

I'll kick off-

What's your favourite book?
    Who is your favourite author?
    Favourite Christmas tipple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Posy wrote: »
    Happy Monday everyone!

We have the ninth Know Your Elves- next time will be double figures!! :eek:

The June bank holiday has come to an end, and the weather continues to be... :confused:

Welcome, Carnica!

I'll kick off-

What's your favourite book?
    Who is your favourite author?
    Favourite Christmas tipple?

Hurray!

My favourite book, the one I've read over and over is Jane Eyre.

Favourite (current) author is Joanna Bolouri. It's chick lit, but it's gripping chick lit. She writes really well. I tend to read a lot of non fiction so when I go for fiction I want fun.

Favourite Christmas tipple, definitely mulled wine. Homemade and M&S premade. There's no joy like finding a bottle of the premade stuff in the press on a cold March evening and sticking a mug of it in the microwave. Best warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hi Caranica, here are my few...

Any favourite tv shows?
    What topic could you spend hours talking about?
    Favourite sandwich?
    What trend do you wish would end?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hello Caranica !

Here my questions:

-Which talent would you most like to have?

-What is your greatest extravagance?

-What is your motto?

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Hi Caranica, here are my few...

Any favourite tv shows?
    What topic could you spend hours talking about?
    Favourite sandwich?
    What trend do you wish would end?

Thanks! :)

Favourite TV shows, I love legal, political and medical stuff so things like The West Wing, The Resident, Law & Order SVU are my favourites. There is a great show on Netflix called the Night Shift which is a medical drama set in a hospital where most of the staff are war veterans and I really loved that.

I could, and do, spend hours talking about rugby or theatre. My two absolute passions. Stick travel in there too and that's me summed up.

Favourite sandwich, it's hard to beat turkey on brown bread. I'm a really fussy eater when it comes to cold food, I can do cold food but not raw food so no salad. I also don't like cold sauces on cold food so give me butter (and none of that fake crap).

Trend I wish would end, lip fillers and HD brows. I like lip shaped lips not bulging rectangles and who wants a caterpillar over their eyes??

otnomart wrote: »
    Hello Caranica !

Here my questions:

-Which talent would you most like to have?

-What is your greatest extravagance?

-What is your motto?

Great questions!

I wish I could play the piano. My music teacher always said it was a very selfish instrument because you couldn't pick it up under your arm and bring it to other people. But of course you can now.

My greatest extravagance is travel, particularly rugby travel. But it's worth every cent for the friends I have made and the memories I enjoy.

My motto... I sort of have three variations of the same thing. "To thine own self be true" is the very basic one. It evolved a bit to "I am what I am, like it or feck off". But the final version is "I am who I am not what I am". I dislike labels and textbook definitions, people are people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My usual's ones......

If you could invite 4 famous people (dead or alive) to dinner, who and why?

Favourite place you have been holidays?

TRS30 wrote: »
    My usual's ones......

If you could invite 4 famous people (dead or alive) to dinner, who and why?

Favourite place you have been holidays?

Judi Dench because she's just magic. Love watching her perform and I cried when I finished her autobiography because I loved reading about her.

Michael D... because he's just fab. Loves the arts and rugby and equality.

Jonah Lomu, I'd love to have a chat with him.

Paul O'Connell, legend.

Favourite place, New Zealand. Had the trip of a lifetime there in 2017 and can't wait to go back. Sometime.

Caranica wrote: »
    QUOTE]

That name brings back great memories. Never forget him running through Rob Andrew (?) on the wing in Twickenham.

QUOTE]

That name brings back great memories. Never forget him running through Rob Andrew (?) on the wing in Twickenham.

Absolutely! I met him once but it was at a corporate thing so I didn't get to talk to him. Would love to be able to talk to him and listen to his stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As a child, What did you want to be when you grew up? & How close did you come to achieving that?

Favourite cake?

Favourite alcoholic & non alcoholic beverage?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    As a child, What did you want to be when you grew up? & How close did you come to achieving that?

Favourite cake?

Favourite alcoholic & non alcoholic beverage?

I wanted to be an interpreter. Don't know why. Only had the option of French in school but didn't pursue languages in college, went all sciencey in the end. Work in something completely different again now, life is funny!

Favourite cake, I'm torn between lemon drizzle cake and chocolate biscuit cake. Love both but I'm more of a savoury treats person than sweet.

Favourite non alcoholic drink Cherry Coke Zero/Pepsi Max Cherry/Dr Pepper Zero. All variations on a theme!

Favourite alcoholic drink at the moment is Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla (orange flavored gin) with ginger ale but that's not easy to find so my go to is Vodka (not Smirnoff, I use that to clean) and slimline tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,175 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Favorite shop?
    Favorite colour?
    Favorite Car?
    Favorite take-away?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Tayto or King? :D

Favorite shop?
    Favorite colour?
    Favorite Car?
    Favorite take-away?

Shop: Sounds boring but M&S. I'm petite but curvy. I have tiny feet (35.5/3)and Marks is one of the few shops that stock 35.5. Most places label an EU 36 as 3, and it's actually 3.5. Have a similar issue with bra sizes, I'm narrow but curvy, not widely stocked so Marks win again. Their food is amazing and see my first answer for my love of their mulled wine.

Colour: was always purple but red is fast on their tail. Ask me again in 5 years :D

Car: I'm a simple creature. I don't drive one any more but the only car I've truly loved was a Ford Focus.

Takeaway: chicken madras with garlic naan and in an ideal world coconut rice. You get coconut rice all over the UK but it is still a rarity here alas.

Toots wrote: »
    Tayto or King? :D

Tayto, cheese and onion only. Now that King are owned by the same company it's weird that they're different. I'm a cheese and onion/ready salted/salt and pepper/sweet chilli crisps person. I absolutely detest vinegar so no S&V for me ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Only getting to this now mental week in work.

Favourite movie?

First single you ever bought?

Favourite sport?

Loughc wrote: »
    Only getting to this now mental week in work.

Favourite movie?

First single you ever bought?

Favourite sport?

I got all excited to see a new post! It's been a quiet week so far.

These questions are probably the easiest to answer tbh

Movie: The Breakfast Club. I love it and probably watch it once a month.

First single: I'm Your Man by Wham. As a young child I was obsessed with George Michael. Took about 25 years before I got to see him live, but I was 7 all over again. Saw him twice before his sad death.

Favourite sport: Rugby, rugby and more rugby. I'm a season ticket holder, I travel far too much for rugby but it's given me the best friends. Am in withdrawal at the moment as I haven't been to a game in almost a month and the season starts late this year because of the world Cup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I got all excited to see a new post! It's been a quiet week so far.

These questions are probably the easiest to answer tbh

Movie: The Breakfast Club. I love it and probably watch it once a month.

First single: I'm Your Man by Wham. As a young child I was obsessed with George Michael. Took about 25 years before I got to see him live, but I was 7 all over again. Saw him twice before his sad death.

Favourite sport: Rugby, rugby and more rugby. I'm a season ticket holder, I travel far too much for rugby but it's given me the best friends. Am in withdrawal at the moment as I haven't been to a game in almost a month and the season starts late this year because of the world Cup.

We will get on a lot!!!

I’m looking at my breakfast club DVD as I type this!

And I can’t wait for the Rugby World Cup too :)

Seeing as I gave you easy ones. I’ll give you some more.

Favourite tv show/episode ever?

One place you could travel to than you’ve been before and one place you’ve never been before you’d like to visit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

-Do you prefer a real tree, or a plastic tree?

-Tinsel: YEA or NAY?

-Do you have turkey and all the trimmings for Christmas dinner?

-Have you ever spent Christmas abroad? If not, would you like to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

God, I haven't seen The Breakfast Club in YEARS. I can barely remember it. Will have to give it another watch soon after reading this. :)

Your favourite book is my joint-favourite! :D
    I love Jane Eyre. I recently noticed that the adaptation with Michael Fassbender is on Netflix, must have a look at it, although adaptations never come close to the book of course. The part where Jane
    returns to Thornfield and finds it a blackened ruin, then finds Mr Rochester outside in the drizzle, just standing outside blind and helpless
    is both wonderful and heartbreaking in different measures. Always thought the ending was a bit strange though- like, I don't care as much about St John as you, Jane, Jeez!! :D

*Don't know why I'm spoilering a 170 year old book, but there ya go! :pac:

I'll have to stop now because I could talk Jane Eyre for far too long!!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    We will get on a lot!!!

I’m looking at my breakfast club DVD as I type this!

And I can’t wait for the Rugby World Cup too :)

Seeing as I gave you easy ones. I’ll give you some more.

Favourite tv show/episode ever?

One place you could travel to than you’ve been before and one place you’ve never been before you’d like to visit?

I love that film so much! I'm hoping I'll get more excited about the World Cup in the coming months, I'm loving the Under 20s at the moment.

Favourite TV show/episode ever... That's a hard one but I'm going to say The West Wing and the episode where Mrs Landingham died. It was just beautiful TV.

One place I'd love to travel to that I've been before, that's definitely New Zealand. Did the Lions in 2017 so next one there isn't until 2029 but Ireland have a summer tour in 2022, oh there's rugby again :)

Somewhere I haven't been to but want to, that's Argentina. I'll get there next time Ireland tour there hopefully if this stupid world league thing isn't implemented. Yes, more rugby!

Posy wrote: »
    -Do you prefer a real tree, or a plastic tree?

-Tinsel: YEA or NAY?

-Do you have turkey and all the trimmings for Christmas dinner?

-Have you ever spent Christmas abroad? If not, would you like to?

I prefer a real tree but for all sorts of practical reasons I have a plastic one. I do have an annual "decorate my tree" party where my best friends come over and do precisely that, one flies in from the US to do so! Started when my ex husband moved out and is still going strong.

Tinsel, no, nay, never. Ditto coloured lights!

Full Christmas Dinner, except sprouts. It's one of my favourite meals. I had a significant birthday a few years back and my mother asked where I wanted to go for a birthday dinner. I said "your kitchen for Christmas Dinner" :D And so I got to have the best birthday dinner ever!

I've never been away for Christmas, in my life I've only missed one Christmas at home and that was torture. It was the really bad snow in 2010 and I couldn't get home. Had dinner with my inlaws, they're lovely but I was miserable. While my parents are still alive I couldn't imagine doing Christmas any other way than with my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loving your answers so far. I also love Night Shift, but have never seen Breakfast Club :eek:

My question:
    What is you favourite childhood memory?

What would your perfect day be? (Stole this question from someone else however like it as it always gets me daydreaming)

kitten_k wrote: »
    Loving your answers so far. I also love Night Shift, but have never seen Breakfast Club :eek:

My question:
    What is you favourite childhood memory?

That's a tough question. One that stands out was when my beloved grandmother gave my "Club tropicana" pyjamas for Christmas as part of my present one year.

It was a complete fluke, it wasn't a deliberate thing given my obsession with George Michael and Wham. They were cerise pink with a sky blue trim and cuffs and the club tropicana logo on the chest was sky blue too. I was about 7 I think and over 30 years later I still remember them clear as day. I even remember that they were from Dunnes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What would be your Top 5 desert island discs?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    What would be your Top 5 desert island discs?

Tracy Chapman: Tracy Chapman
    Spandau Ballet: Gold (The best of)
    George Michael: Ladies and Gentlemen
    Oasis: Definitely Maybe
    Tick Tick Boom - Original Soundtrack

It's kinda cheating to have two compilation albums but it's the best bang for my buck :D

What would your perfect day be? (Stole this question from someone else however like it as it always gets me daydreaming)

This is really difficult to answer as I've had many perfect days. Quality time with good people and shared experiences and memories make the perfect day. Narrowing down one subset of people to say they would be part of my perfect day is next to impossible. Guess part of that is being single and having clusters of friends.

I'm absolutely blessed but I can predict that in the next four weeks I should have three perfect days. Life might screw them up, but all being well they should be magic.

This is really difficult to answer as I've had many perfect days. Quality time with good people and shared experiences and memories make the perfect day. Narrowing down one subset of people to say they would be part of my perfect day is next to impossible. Guess part of that is being single and having clusters of friends.

I'm absolutely blessed but I can predict that in the next four weeks I should have three perfect days. Life might screw them up, but all being well they should be magic.

Love this answer. You come across as a really happy person with a great positive vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Great answers.

Toilet paper over or under?

White Christmas in Ireland yay or nay?

Advertisement