Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby names

Options
  • 07-06-2019 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are expecting a baby girl. Thinking of the name Nina...what do people in general think of the name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are expecting a baby girl. Thinking of the name Nina...what do people in general think of the name?

99 red balloons. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

splinter65 wrote: »
    99 red balloons. Sorry.

Not a fan then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think its a lovely name . Short and sweet and pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Lovely name really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hi all,

... Simone"
    Depends on how it goes with the surname, or maybe she's your ninth child?

• Advertisement

... Simone"
    Depends on how it goes with the surname, or maybe she's your ninth child?

Nope it's our first...I have a very Irish surname so I think it sounds good! But a lot of people i speak to just don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nope it's our first...I have a very Irish surname so I think it sounds good! But a lot of people i speak to just don't like it!

If you love a name don't ask others ! Just call her that and tell everyone its her name . It will fit her like a glove after a few weeks . I love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you love a name don't ask others ! Just call her that and tell everyone its her name . It will fit her like a glove after a few weeks . I love it !

So true...don’t ask others! It’s what ye think that counts! For what’s it worth it’s a beautiful name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Nina is a lovely name. You'll know when she's born if she's a 'Nina' or she's a different name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It's a grand name, easy to pronounce and spell, and will travel well. Best of luck to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I like it ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Nina's a lovely name, but as another poster said, when she's born you'll know if its 'her' name or not. Sounds mad but you'll know. Best of luck with it. Greatest feeling in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If Nina is the name you like I’d go with that. With so many opinions in play, it can be hard to find a consensus. You won’t please everyone so best to please yourselves.

If it helps:

In 2018, Nina was ranked 116 of all baby girls recorded in Ireland.

In total, 49 baby girls were recorded with the name Nina in this year.

In 2017, Nina was ranked 99 of all baby girls recorded in Ireland.

In total, 62 baby girls were recorded with the name Nina in this year.

In 2016, Nina was ranked 140 of all baby girls recorded in Ireland.

In total, 42 baby girls were recorded with the name Nina in this year.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Not a fan then?!

If you were standing at the door shouting “Nina love come in your dinner is ready!” I’d be shouting back “worry worry super scurry call the troops out in a hurry!”.
    Then you’d get mad and a row would start .

Haha appreciate all the comments! We do like the name, it just felt right but also you don't want to give a child a bad start with an unpopular name too...I think for now we will continue with Nina and then see how we feel once she is born and go with gut instinct ðŸ˜
    Thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Hi all,

Love it! Was on my list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Heard it on a baby recently.Not really one of my choices, but my opinion doesn't matter!!!Go with whatever you like, don't ask for opinions or the child will never be named ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Makes me think of an ambulance noise ... nee-naw nee-naw. :o Other than that I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't particularly like it but it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I like it as a name, but for a little girl. I just can't picture it as an adult name and that rules it out for me.

I'd either give her one of the names for which Nina is a nickname or make sure she has a solid boring middle name she can switch to if she feels the need as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really like the name Nina. Would consider it myself for our baby but I’ve a first cousin called Nina so would rather choose another name! My cousin is in her 20’s and the name doesn’t seem childish at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Is she from Tipperary ? lol

seriously, what does it matter whether a bunch of randomers on Boards like it or not - it's YOUR baby - YOUR choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It doesn't matter what anyone else likes or not, only what you and your partner like.

Go with what you want. I often find though, that one name is picked while pregnant, but can changes completely once the baby is born and you see their face!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I love Nina! As others have said, if you love it then don’t ask for anyone else’s opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

PennyWren wrote: »
    I love Nina! As others have said, if you love it then don’t ask for anyone else’s opinion

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking for opinions. Someone might point out a drawback that the OP didn’t think of.

I think Nina is fine, just resist the temptation to spell it Neenagh or something like that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Don't discuss your name choices with other people. We chose the name for my little girl before she was born, and planned to keep it a secret until she was born, so we wouldn't have to hear unwelcome opinions (it's a name you wouldn't hear too often)

Anyhow, my son accidentally let it slip, and my Mum and sister hated the name and I got no end of hassle over it. It was really stressing me out, but suddenly they stopped. I don't know did either my husband or my Dad have a word with them and tell them to stop. My daughter's name suits her so well, and everyone I've introduced her to has always said how lovely her name is.

Personally, I think Nina is a lovely name. My friend's sister is Nina and she's nearly 40 and it doesn't feel childish on her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Hardcharger

Hi all,

Nina nina nina nina nina

Sounds like an ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking for opinions. Someone might point out a drawback that the OP didn’t think of.

I think Nina is fine, just resist the temptation to spell it Neenagh or something like that.

The problem with asking for opinions is that a EVERYONE has one when it comes to a name. And they’ll usually be very anxious to tell you about the people they’ve known with that name whom they disliked. Even if people don’t tell you, you’ll see their noses wrinkle and just KNOW they don’t like it. It’s much easier to introduce your child as xxxxx and nobody will tell you then that they sat beside a girl called xxxxx who had nits, or picked her nose or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Disliking someone who had that name isn’t a valid reason to dislike the name. I’m sure the OP can disregard that kind of feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Nina was one of the names on our list. Then Hosier came out with Nina cries power and that ruined it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

Love the name Nina. Was on my list too. You'll definitely know once she's born if it suits her.

Advertisement