Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Am Mother (netflix scifi)

Options
  • 08-06-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Gave this a watch.
    I guess they could end it there but it feels like there's more to that story. I can't see anything about a sequel anywhere though.

The sci fi is done pretty cool here. The droid kinda reminds me of a not-so-banjaxed Chappie. :)

The story feels more focused on being a think-about-it than action but it does have a decent amount of special effects and action/world building.

Trailer:

It does feel like a sequel is needed though.. she's never gonna be able to look after more than 60,000 kids by herself. PLUS! It also doesn't necessarily kill off Swank. Like there's so much story there that could be explored.

Oh and I guess.. just in case ye're a lad (or woman/otherwise.. i guess :confused:) who's not into films where women do a lot of stuff... the cast and time-given-to-cast here is mostly women.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hrm. All evil computers named Mother? LIke, the one in the original Alien?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I've been burned enough times by the phrase "Netflix Original SciFi film" to perhaps start to back off from these :D couldn't be any worse than Extinction though so might take a look.

So is there going to be an After Hours thread full of dreary whingers why there isn't a film called "I am Father?" ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I am a Genderfluid parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hrm. All evil computers named Mother? LIke, the one in the original Alien?

MUTHR wasn't evil it was just programmed that way to ensure the recovery of alien life
    It was the same for HAL, he was programmed that way and didn't just suddenly turn psycho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

I am Mother Ending, Plot, Droids: Explained | Will There be a Sequel?

^^^ Contains spoilers or what the film is about for people to lazy to watch?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

I thought this was great. Proper slow burn sci-fi that explored some interesting ideas.

If your looking for action this is not for you. But the story is engaging and the performances are great.

Also thought the mother robot looked excellent. Some really great practical effects

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Really loved this, a real thinker of a movie. Hopefully they make a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

corkie wrote: »
    I am Mother Ending, Plot, Droids: Explained | Will There be a Sequel?

^^^ Contains spoilers or what the film is about for people to lazy to watch?

No spoiler review.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/07/i-am-mother-review-all-female-netflix-thriller-is-a-solid-sci-fi-watch

I'd actually give it 4 stars, not 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's no Ex Machina but it's good. One of the better entries in the sub-genre of sci-fi films about young women being held captive. Certainly better than Netflix's last attempt at this, Tau, though I liked that one more than most.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As far as film-based Netflix Original science fiction goes, I'd say this is the best so far - a decent premise and script, good central performances, and a focus on ideas and dramatic tension rather than plot.

I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't get any infodumps or segues into extended CGI Shooty Nonsense sequences, because while the core premise isn't startlingly original, it's executed well and it was a pleasure to see it not opt for lazy action sequences in the 3rd act.

While there's plenty left unexplained in the film, I'm fine with leaving it where it is and hope they don't make a sequel.

• Advertisement

I really don't see a sequel to this happening. The scope of the story just wouldnt sustain one IMO.

It's a fine debut feature by the director and I'm interested to see what he does next

It's no Ex Machina but it's good. One of the better entries in the sub-genre of sci-fi films about young women being held captive. Certainly better than Netflix's last attempt at this, Tau, though I liked that one more than most.

I love sci-fi, and Philosophy of Mind, but I thought Ex Machina was a tad over-rated. I am Mother was less overtly philosophical (except in its focus on ethics), but had more moving parts (is there a pun there?), which it dealt with admirably. I preferred it to Ex Machina.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bluh wtf
    if the AI/Mother decided to allow Daughter raise the kid what was the need to shoot her? waste a perfectly good helper robot. The Woman lying about there being others is hardly a reason to leave her out there Daughter will be pissed when she finds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

bluh wtf
    if the AI/Mother decided to allow Daughter raise the kid what was the need to shoot her? waste a perfectly good helper robot. The Woman lying about there being others is hardly a reason to leave her out there Daughter will be pissed when she finds out.
    Mother needed her to step up, to take that next step. Her killing Mother, Symbolic as it was(that being one of presumably millions of shells she inhabits), was necessary for that to happen.

Mother needed her to step up, to take that next step. Her killing Mother, Symbolic as it was(that being one of presumably millions of shells she inhabits), was necessary for that to happen.
    I think so too. Ethics is central to the film. The daughter had spent her life being taught the various principles- and finally, she had to make an ethical choice, and take an action. It seemed unnecessary watching it at the time, but on reflection
    MOTHER had planned this all along. Hence the last STRANGER scene, where she was no longer necessary/surplus to requirements

I think so too. Ethics is central to the film. The daughter had spent her life being taught the various principles- and finally, she had to make an ethical choice, and take an action. It seemed unnecessary watching it at the time, but on reflection
    MOTHER had planned this all along. Hence the last STRANGER scene, where she was no longer necessary/surplus to requirements

ethics is
    shooting your mother
    ?

ethics is
    shooting your mother
    ?

Wellllll...... not just that, I'm pretty sure. If you look it up, I'm pretty sure it falls within the big Venn diagram of ethics. I said the film was mainly about ethics, not just that (initially confusing) single act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really, really good film.

Am I correct in understanding that....
    Hilary Swank was also a child of the facility, but 'failed' her test by fleeing, but unknown to us initially she was allowed to remain alive by Mother as she would later serve a purpose for future children.

Swank aludes to this when she says something about it being OK to be selfish and solely looking out for yourself sometimes to Daughter in the shipping container.

Daughter ultimately returns for the good of her family and her newly born brother and so passes the ultimate test; mother then goes and kills Hilary Swank as she was no longer needed.

Daughter killing Mother was purely symbolic of this new stage of her earned role as the new 'mother' of the future of the human race.

Also hardly a coincidence that Swank looked like a very credible older version of Daughter, and we knew several female embryo's were created from all the missing capsules in that particular rack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well it started with Mother
    taking out number 1
    Then by the time we see daughter, well we find out she is number 3

We then see the remains of number 2 in the incinerator

So I'd be inclined to agree that
    it looks like Swank is number 1.

I think I threw it on myself a bit when I
    did the maths on the X days later bit at the start. I'm pretty sure it worked out around 40 years and daughter was obviously not 40 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that's a good point. I was thinking the exact same thing as well at the time.

• Advertisement

can we go full spoilers
    designing a robot that has to recharge for 12 hours a day that supposed to look after somebody and make sure they don't get out unless the open the outer door which they have then run towards how about create a father robot?

can we go full spoilers
    designing a robot that has to recharge for 12 hours a day that supposed to look after somebody and make sure they don't get out unless the open the outer door which they have then run towards how about create a father robot?
    :D
    Howzabout replaceable batteries? Camera feeds/sensors that can wake Mother up at the first sign of trouble?

IOWs, rather than this being a plot flaw
    The downtime for recharging as a weakness was planned; to exploit the inevitable features of human nature; creativity, blah, blah. Maybe embryo 2 (?) when it grew up didn't take the opportunity- so was weak- and was destroyed. Clever- and amoral- robot.

so the anwser to every plot query is, they did that on purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I made the mistake of watching the trailer for this and feel they gave away far too much of the story. I will watch it, but fecking modern trailers can be a disaster.

Adam Savage spoke to the guy who designed the suit and played the part of Mother

so the anwser to every plot query is,
    they did that on purpose?

Actually, you're bang on. That's super-duper algorithms for you.

Will it possible in the future for a computer to predict human behaviour perfectly- much better than in the present, with say, chess or GO- and to plan for every eventuality (while adjusting for errors through termination of iterations)?

Who knows? That's why it's called science fiction- possibly just for the moment.

Such a conceit is a perfect means to reify rationality- in contrast to the emotional/rational hybrid of humans. Mother is the reification of supposed perfect rationality. So yeah- the answer to every plot query is- insert belated spoiler quote here-;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think the film deals with the point by roughly saying:
    • The Mother droid unit is just a container unit for the Mother computer/AI
    • Mother is
      in all the connected up droids and computers

So
    the droid unit isn't mother, just a machine being remote controlled by mother. Same with all the other droids.

As for the recharge,
    it's not even a deal breaker because they showed mother can wake up the droid unit and do stuff with it if it wanted to (when the doors were unlocked)
    Plus.. it showed later
    that it can power up and use the other droid units if it wants to

joe40 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching the trailer for this and feel they gave away far too much of the story. I will watch it, but fecking modern trailers can be a disaster.

Yea I warned people about watching the trailer for this on the Netflix thread. Should have mentioned it here too.

Still plenty of surprises in it and highly recommend it.

But Netflix trailers should be avoided like the plague

Slydice wrote: »
    • Mother is

So
    the droid unit isn't mother, just a machine being remote controlled by mother. Same with all the other droids.

As for the recharge,
    it's not even a deal breaker because they showed mother can wake up the droid unit and do stuff with it if it wanted to (when the doors were unlocked)
    Plus.. it showed later

yeah, that's all pretty clear in the film. All told, it's pretty impressive for a first time writer.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    • Mother is

So

As for the recharge,
    Plus.. it showed later

daughter could have gone outside before the mother droid got to her because she was asleep/recharging.

Advertisement