Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual loads on (not in) an aircraft

• 07-06-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭

I remember the AN-22 once flying with a wing strapped to the top of it's frame and was curious if such unusual loads have ever occurred elsewhere or with other frames?

I was always surprised by this due to the potential aerodynamics changes etc, it required a temporary central tail wing IIRC, was special permission required and would such even be permissible today I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Passengers. :D

nofrillsflight.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Space Shuttles

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Extra engine for transport

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic4.businessinsider.com%2Fimage%2F56952771e6183edf2e8b879b-1190-625%2Fqantas-strapped-a-5th-engine-onto-the-wing-of-a-boeing-747--heres-why.jpg&f=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Russian shuttle/Buran

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpop.h-cdn.co%2Fassets%2F15%2F47%2F1600x800%2Flandscape-1447770585-buran2.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The Shorts composite with one flying boat on top of another (Mercury / Maia) or the German Ju 88 Mistel combination with a fighter on top as director aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

B52s launching X15 experimental craft.

x-15-mach-6-04-mission-09-nov-1961.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok not on but not really fully contained either. SOFIA is fierce cool.

SOFIA_DLRNASA4X3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I'd say GEs engine test bed 747 is always interesting to look at in its various configurations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I'd say GEs engine test bed 747 is always interesting to look at in its various configurations.

It looks almost like an A340 engine strapped to it, I wonder if it is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

theguzman wrote: »

GE Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

theguzman wrote: »

Nope, testing the GE Passport. Here is another interesting one, if you've ever wondered what a 747 would look like with a 777 engine...

Advertisement