Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heat pump power usage while idle or not heating

• 31-05-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have an 8kw A2W NIBE F2040 installed and have been measuring the power usage to try and see what the base load of the house was.

When the HP is not heating the house or the hot water it is using 70 watts, every hour of every day. This might not sound like a lot but would be over 600 units of electricity a year without heating anything. The circulation pump is about 25 watts of this usage.

If i turn off the power on the internal unit, VVM 320, using the power switch on the front it is still using 40 watts. This is with no circulating pump, screen or anything else that i know of running.

I am measuring this with a meter in the distribution board so don't think there is any issue with the accuracy of this.

Does anyone else have similar experience with their heat pump of any brand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Most probably the sump heater. Most air to water units would consume similar as generally the compressor is outside. The oil in the compressor sump must be kept warm so it's at the right viscosity to flow and protect the compressor when it starts up. It's basically a heater wire wrapped round the compressor base.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ShanE90

My 11kW Ecodan uses 275watts when on standby, no pumps no valves no compressor running... once you flick the isolator the power is drawn immediately even before the cylinder unit loads up and it’s not the crankcase heater the power is used by the inverter pcb and other electronics in the outdoor unit so there charged up and ready to start

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ShanE90 wrote: »
    My 11kW Ecodan uses 275watts when on standby

That's brutal.

That uses 2,400kWh per year just in standby. The average Irish household uses 3,500kWh per year in total for all their appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats about 450 quid per year before it produces any heat. Madness. I really have doubts about these units.
    Too many reports of 350 per month esb bills around here from heat pump dwellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats about 450 quid per year before it produces any heat. Madness. I really have doubts about these units.
    Too many reports of 350 per month esb bills around here from heat pump dwellings.

If you have a heat pump, you also have a night rate meter (dual meter). Unless you're an imbecile

On the dual meter, 275W 24/7 would be about €340 per year based on 18c day rate and 8c night rate

Agree with your sentiments though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My 11kW Ecodan uses 275watts when on standby, no pumps no valves no compressor running.

That cant be right? How sure are you of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What happens if you just switch it off when not needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

What happens if you just switch it off when not needed?

I don't know about others but you cant turn mine off. You would have no hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

That Ecodan standby usage is mad. My house base usage is 300w that’s for a 16kw daikin air to water heat pump on but not heating, mhrv running, septic tank pumps and appliances on standby.

On the OP query I do note my heat pump has an internal pump that kicks in regularly even when there is no heating demand. I tend to turn off the heating side of things around April to October mainly to avoid a few stats calling for heat at night or late evening when temps drop back a bit but also helps stop the intermittent pump use

Yep pics attached the owl slightly out when compared to the fluke, It equates to around €1.10 per day for being powered up... given my house was built in the 70s I’m happy with the system as it’s a drastic improvement over my old oil boiler and lack of hot water setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Could you knock it off during the summer except for the few hours a day when it actually runs?

Could you knock it off during the summer except for the few hours a day when it actually runs?

You could I suppose but for us it’s probably not worth the hassle of not being able to shower/bath wash ect anytime with a young kid also some of the evenings are coolish and the heating comes on for an hour sometimes when the room temp drops

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yep pics attached the owl slightly out when compared to the fluke, It equates to around €1.10 per day for being powered up... given my house was built in the 70s I’m happy with the system as it’s a drastic improvement over my old oil boiler and lack of hot water setup

It must be running a circulating pump or something 24/7. It really shouldnt be consuming that amount for doing nothing other than being powered up.

There is a setting in mine (Nibe, not Ecodan) to tell it to stop the pumps once the summer comes in. It still fires up for 30mins once a day to heat water.

I'd talk to someone that knows your HP and see if you can fix that. If its normal, its bad form for Ecodan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KCross wrote: »
    It must be running a circulating pump or something 24/7. It really shouldnt be consuming that amount for doing nothing other than being powered up.

There is a setting in mine (Nibe, not Ecodan) to tell it to stop the pumps once the summer comes in. It still fires up for 30mins once a day to heat water.

I'd talk to someone that knows your HP and see if you can fix that. If its normal, its bad form for Ecodan.

I agree that this is not looking good.

If correct it complete undermines the HP space

perhaps post here:
    https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/contact-us

It got a write up here also
    https://passivehouseplus.ie/news/marketplace/ultra-quiet-ecodan-takes-heat-pumps-to-the-next-level#addcomments

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldn't paint all heat pumps with the one brush. Mine uses 5w on standby. My sister's uses 8w. Both gshps

threeball wrote: »
    I wouldn't paint all heat pumps with the one brush. Mine uses 5w on standby. My sister's uses 8w. Both gshps

Those are very low figures. What brands are they? Do you have circulating pumps powered separately that are not included in those figures

Mr Q wrote: »
    Those are very low figures. What brands are they? Do you have circulating pumps powered separately that are not included in those figures

Mines an Ovum, hers is Waterkotte. Circulating pumps should only run for 3-4 mins every hour to sample floor temp so I wouldn't include them in standby. When they run in mine they draw less than 50w which for 4 mins is negligible. I can see it all on the screen including the current COP and SPF over the week. It averaged 6.5 to 7 over the winter.

Mines an Ovum, hers is Waterkotte. Circulating pumps should only run for 3-4 mins every hour to sample floor temp so I wouldn't include them in standby. When they run in mine they draw less than 50w which for 4 mins is negligible. I can see it all on the screen including the current COP and SPF over the week. It averaged 6.5 to 7 over the winter.

Mine is a NIBE and the circulating pump runs 24 hours a day. The interface on yours sounds like it gives some very useful information.

Mine is a NIBE and the circulating pump runs 24 hours a day. The interface on yours sounds like it gives some very useful information.

It shouldn't run 24hrs a day. Theres some setting wrong I'd imagine or else the controller isn't very well designed.

Yes theres great info. Its PV ready so can recognise if excess power is leaving from a house to go back on to the grid then modulate to suit the power available. It can automatically increase the hot water set point when free power is available and increase the house temp by a settable temp on a cold day to maximise the PV usage. It effectively can act as a big battery. The software even separates out the COP on PV running from normal running. I don't have that set up yet as PV system is on the to do list but its all there when I want it.

It shouldn't run 24hrs a day. Theres some setting wrong I'd imagine or else the controller isn't very well designed.

Yes theres great info. Its PV ready so can recognise if excess power is leaving from a house to go back on to the grid then modulate to suit the power available. It can automatically increase the hot water set point when free power is available and increase the house temp by a settable temp on a cold day to maximise the PV usage. It effectively can act as a big battery. The software even separates out the COP on PV running from normal running. I don't have that set up yet as PV system is on the to do list but its all there when I want it.

I had never heard of the brand until you mentioned it, they do look good. Very expensive?

The PV integration option built in would be very useful.

• Advertisement

I had never heard of the brand until you mentioned it, they do look good. Very expensive?

The PV integration option built in would be very useful.

Bit more expensive but considering what you get I think it's well worth it. 490l hot water cylinder, fresh hot water system, it has a desuperheater system which produces the hot water while producing heating so the COP for hot water is the same as it is for heating and if I were to buy 7 or 8kw battery storage it would set me back about €8k I'd say. This unit is the equivalent so if you take that into account I think it's well priced.
    Can passively cool the house too but I didn't take that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Hi,

I'm currently getting PUHZ-W112VAA Mits Ecodan HP installed in my new build.

Does anyone know the power usage when idle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Hi,

What does the manual say?

Hi,

That’s the newer ultra quiet monoblock released last year so it should be lower than its predecessor

It would be good if the manufacturers would print all of the various power usage figures. Plenty of figures available while under heating load but hard to find any for idle or standby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Try your fluke (the one you used for the voltage reading) in whole current measurement mode for a possibly more accurate current reading. Should be easy do just by bypassing the MCB with the probes and switching it off for a few seconds. I have an owl and wouldn't put any great faith in them for accuracy at that range. Presumably it was reading the whole house idle load there as well?

That’s the newer ultra quiet monoblock released last year so it should be lower than its predecessor

I'm no expert but the unit in the picture is not a monoblock, it's a split. I spent enough time researching them when choosing a unit. Monoblocks don't have packaged indoor units.

I'm no expert but the unit in the picture is not a monoblock, it's a split. I spent enough time researching them when choosing a unit. Monoblocks don't have packaged indoor units.

Mitsubishi have both monoblocks and split type available in pacakaged cylinder units the W-112VAA is the newer ultra quiet unit only available in a monoblock at present

Split type means refrigerant pipes connect between the outdoor unit and cylinder unit transferring the heat this way instead of water

air wrote: »
    Try your fluke (the one you used for the voltage reading) in whole current measurement mode for a possibly more accurate current reading. Should be easy do just by bypassing the MCB with the probes and switching it off for a few seconds. I have an owl and wouldn't put any great faith in them for accuracy at that range. Presumably it was reading the whole house idle load there as well?

Just reading the idle load of the HP on standby is 1.1A the house is another .4 of an Amp, checked through the Fluke and is the same as using the clamp. Owl is only slightly out by a few watts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Well that's disappointing, can't say I'd be happy to live with that level of background consumption myself to be honest.

Advertisement