Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing scopes.

• 04-06-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Is there any system of changing sights on a rifle without having to rezero the rifle every time. I have two optics one that uses 25 mm rings and the other 30 mm rings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Multiple mounting systems for quick release / change options.

Picatanny Rails combined with QD Rings.

Tip off Mounts.

Leopold do quick release mounts that swing in and lock

Blazer have few designs

There's a classic German design with a rail and claw system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Which of the above is the best value.

What set up do you have now?

If there's a picatanny rail then Warne QD will do and you'd pay up to €110.00ish for a set of steel rings. You'd diffently pick up some no-name Ebay stuff for less, but you'll take your chances.

I did look at compatible Leopold mounts and rings and if you hunt around you'll find them at good discount prices. You'll need a pair of bases compatible with the rifle receiver and then the match of rings to the bases. See Optics Warehouse for ranges.

The German claw mount styles where specifically for scopes (Schmidt & Bender etc) with integral rails and are usually very expensive. Recently I was told that older style scopes with the rails can be retro fitted to mounts that are more contemporary and at a fraction of the cost of the original mounts. Nice if you want to fit an old style scope to an older rifle thats ethier incompatible or you don't have another €300.00 plus for classic mounts.

I opted for Picatinny / Warne Steel QD and certainly didn't see any loss of zero when l removed and replaced the scope. I won't be doing this on a regular basis but wanted the option to change out my optics when needed.

At the moment I have two dovetail mounts on one scope and on the other I have a one piece mount that clamps on to the rifle. There is a standard 11 mm dovetail rail on the rifle.

This is what you'll need:

Scope mounts suitable for rails: 11 mm dovetail

https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/mounts/shopby/suitable_for_rails-11_mm_dovetail.html

Scroll down to:

'Pivot mounts with rings:

A special kind of repeatable mounts are pivot mounts, also known as swing mounts. They offer 100 % repeatability and can be quickly and simply detached and reattached with the use of levers, buttons and screws, with no tools required.'

• Advertisement

Fair selection of stuff there Cookie. Some of them are very expensive. Any particular one that you would recommend.

Just came access theses "Ziegler ZP Scope Mount". Anybody any experience with them.

I can't comment on 11mm dovetail / picatanny combos but I have used picatanny rails on centre fire rifles with no operational issues.

The full length rails are flexible in relation to various lengths of scopes, something that can be a problem with various lengths and designs of scopes. Just ensure they don't interfere with the function of the rifle such as ejection and loading.

This is my first foray into QD mounts and I chose the picatanny / QD rings mainly because the rifle came with a picatanny rail installed. This reduced the cost of the overall set up. But I did fancy the look of the swing on/off mounts for thier neater profile.

I would assume your reciever is only compatible with a dove tail mount of some sort so the rail may give you more flexibility with mounting various scopes. Just remember to take the height of the rail into consideration when selecting the height of your rings.

Having said all that you could reconsider whether or not the two scope option is realistic option. I've had various types of scopes, even tried red dot, on .22's and for the last 7 years I have stuck with a cheep 6-24x50 SF with balistic turrets for all my rimfire shooting. The QD option I've gone with is to allow me to change out a 8x56mm to something more suitable for driven game, on the very rare occasion I'll get to do it. If I had the money I'd go for a reliable scope with a low end magnification of 1.5 or so while haveing a objective of 44mm-ish.

Now if you want the two scopes for sh@ts and giggles go for it.

Just came access theses "Ziegler ZP Scope Mount". Anybody any experience with them.

Thats some cost £497.00!

https://www.alanrhone-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=230&products_id=457

Wow. Serious money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

M

There's a classic German design with a rail and claw system.

Grew up with these in Germany. They are almost de reiguer on older guns over there.Exellent but very expensive and really do need professional fitting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just looking at the "Rusan pivot mount-picatinny rail. I expect my existing rings could still be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Grew up with these in Germany. They are almost de reiguer on older guns over there.Exellent but very expensive and really do need professional fitting.

I've an Anschutz rimfire with them on, and a hensoldt-wetzlar diavari sat on them. Vintage: 1967. Someone spent a hulluvalotta dosh getting it all put together but it's a work of art.

Came across two other quick release systems. Sako optilock and Leopold has a reasonably priced set up too. I came across the Optilock before. Anybody any experience of any of theses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

SAKO Optilok fit only SAKO or Tikka rifles, AFAIK.

Advertisement