Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fever Pitch Festival 2019

• 05-06-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭

By all accounts, this year's festival seemed like a disaster.

Now I know that weather can play a part but some of the organisations for this year's festival and the announcements made have been atrocious.

The Saturday night was cut short during the headline act where the wind was too strong, so they called the whole thing off. People that were at the festival site said that the tent was actually fine as it was covered, but the organizers did not think to put the headline act into the tent and instead just called it off after 15 minutes.

The Sunday was all kinds of disastrous. The first thing was a Facebook post saying that the festival was being delayed and would not start on time - thus cancelling numerous band & acts time-slots. Who people had paid to see. The festival was then supposed to start 3 hours later at 19.00 But this was not the end of it - at 18.40, there was another post saying that now the festival was actually cancelled. Yes - people were told 20 minutes before the festival was due to start that it was actually called off. There was a shuttle bus service running from Galway City to the festival site and there was actually people that had paid to go out in that, and in taxis. The bus just turned around mid-journey and people confused as to why. I have heard some stories of people not even knowing it was cancelled as they do not have Facebook and the festival organizers did not send out emails outlining that the festival was cancelled.

The Facebook post that said that the festival was cancelled had said there would be "more information to follow" - which was 4 days ago now and still nothing.

There has been no mention of refunds yet, even though the Saturday was cut short and the Sunday didn't even go ahead at all. I actually had some friends that bought tickets for the Sunday event, on the Sunday morning, waiting around all day and then nothing to show for it. And no mention of refunds at all. There is no way this will go ahead again, as similar happened last year too. The organizers cannot be trusted.

Comments

FitzShane wrote: »
    The organizers cannot be trusted.

You are expecting them to control the weather?

They left it as late as they did in the hopes the situation would improve, it didn't, they made the right call.

I can imagine what type of post you would put up if they had gone ahead and there were people injured due to the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness the lineup was atrocious, like something you'd see on in Monroe's, so I doubt there were too many people put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Meeeee79

In fairness the lineup was atrocious, like something you'd see on in Monroe's, so I doubt there were too many people put out.

Only people with tickets would have been put out and they would only buy tickets if they wanted to see the acts.........pointless post

Meeeee79 wrote: »

Only people with tickets would have been put out and they would only buy tickets if they wanted to see the acts.........pointless post
    I'm sorry you missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OP, could you please provide us information on when you attained a qualification in event management, health & safety, meteorology or structural engineering in order to verify your opinion as to whether the correct calls were made in relation to the event are valid and informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Perhaps not everyone shares your taste in music: I've heard reports of multiple coachloads of disappointed people being dropped back down to Woodquay, and (at least some) pubs there having a manically busy night on Sunday as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I won weekend tickets so wasn’t put out financially, but it was a shame that the Sunday couldn’t go ahead. It’s a great opportunity for Galway and hope it continues.

I hope they get in touch with ticket holders soon, it’s not good to treat people poorly. You can’t just write “no refunds” on Eventbrite and leave it at that.

Perhaps not everyone shares your taste in music: I've heard reports of multiple coachloads of disappointed people being dropped back down to Woodquay, and (at least some) pubs there having a manically busy night on Sunday as a result.
    A better night for the pubs in Woodquay so.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭buzz11

flazio wrote: »
    OP, could you please provide us information on when you attained a qualification in event management, health & safety, meteorology or structural engineering in order to verify your opinion as to whether the correct calls were made in relation to the event are valid and informed.

Eh yeah.... the 'boffins' at Met Eireann can't even forecast the weather past Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Fyre Festival > Fever Pitch Festival

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

FitzShane wrote: »
    By all accounts, this year's festival seemed like a disaster.

Now I know that weather can play a part but some of the organisations for this year's festival and the announcements made have been atrocious.

The Saturday night was cut short during the headline act where the wind was too strong, so they called the whole thing off. People that were at the festival site said that the tent was actually fine as it was covered, but the organizers did not think to put the headline act into the tent and instead just called it off after 15 minutes.

The Sunday was all kinds of disastrous. The first thing was a Facebook post saying that the festival was being delayed and would not start on time - thus cancelling numerous band & acts time-slots. Who people had paid to see. The festival was then supposed to start 3 hours later at 19.00 But this was not the end of it - at 18.40, there was another post saying that now the festival was actually cancelled. Yes - people were told 20 minutes before the festival was due to start that it was actually called off. There was a shuttle bus service running from Galway City to the festival site and there was actually people that had paid to go out in that, and in taxis. The bus just turned around mid-journey and people confused as to why. I have heard some stories of people not even knowing it was cancelled as they do not have Facebook and the festival organizers did not send out emails outlining that the festival was cancelled.

The Facebook post that said that the festival was cancelled had said there would be "more information to follow" - which was 4 days ago now and still nothing.

There has been no mention of refunds yet, even though the Saturday was cut short and the Sunday didn't even go ahead at all. I actually had some friends that bought tickets for the Sunday event, on the Sunday morning, waiting around all day and then nothing to show for it. And no mention of refunds at all. There is no way this will go ahead again, as similar happened last year too. The organizers cannot be trusted.

What was the set up was it all self contained in a big tent or was there a covered stage with audience area open ?
    What structure did they have tent or marquee wise
    Was windy but not extreme at weekend , although the airport is like racecourse wide open expanse to facilitate wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Saw a video taken there on Sunday and the portable loos were knocked over, the barriers were all over the place, the sides of a big grey tent were all open and loose so can you imagine if they went ahead and people were hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

It's not easy organise an event like that in Galway when you're held hostage by the vagaries of the weather.

Post from the organisers here regarding why they called it off and the full story with refunds

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=395206227758498&id=168410197104770
    We would like to apologise once again for having to cancel the Sunday of Fever Pitch due to extreme weather conditions. It was a difficult decision for us to make but it was one that was completely out of our control. The weather was forecast to subside however winds continued to gust above the safety regulation levels and we were forced to cancel.

We have been working behind the scenes to arrange refunds for all of our patrons for Sunday tickets and bus fare (including the Sunday portion of weekend tickets).

For people who bought tickets from Eventbrite and Festicket refunds will be processed automatically within 10 working days.

For people who purchased their tickets from OMG at Zhivago Galway, refunds are currently available in store.

For people who purchased from their employers, refund details have been sent to your point of contact.

We would like to thank you all for your continued patience and support.

Fever Pitch team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

to be honest didn't even know it was on until the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

the organizers set this up in good faith i would imagine and from what i have heard are down a massive chunk of cash. i found the lineup uninspiring myself and had no interest in going but i give credit to them for trying something locally. shame the weather let them down

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

the organizers set this up in good faith i would imagine and from what i have heard are down a massive chunk of cash. i found the lineup uninspiring myself and had no interest in going but i give credit to them for trying something locally. shame the weather let them down

they'd be well insured for any eventuality, including cancelling due to bad weather

Advertisement