Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Training for a 5 k in sept?

• 07-05-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

On my own cuz i have no mates :(

Ok right now i can run two miles. I plan to train everyday over the summer or at least six days a week.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Slow it down until you can get to 5km and beyond.
    Work in some intervals at a faster pace. For example if your 5km time is 30mins
    do 1km intervals at 5min/km pace.
    6/7 days a week is a lot. 4 is plenty to make good progress. You need to rest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Try the Couch to 5k programme/app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The C25K program and app are great ways to ease in. Six days a week goes beyond overkill and into harmful for a new runner! You build muscles when you give yourself time to rest between runs, and low mood from tiredness does more to kill early interest in running than everything else. Pare down your schedule to 3-4 runs per week and take it easy. Focus on your journey to the 5k, not September. You have loads of time to get fit and be ready for the day. You can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

C25k all the way, they're an incredibly easy way to get up to running an enjoyable 5k.

Most are an eight week programme where you'll walk/run three times a week. You can listen to your favorite music or podcasts if you want and the instructions will still come across the sound telling you when to walk and run.

We just recently brought a group through a C25k programme (another boards member here was also a mentor on it). I think we started with 29 and graduated 24 and about that are still running, with one lad just completing a 10k in Drogheda and talking about doing a half marathon in the summer.

The programme we used was from Zen Labs (its free).

I thought the app was so good that I used the 5-10k follow on app to recover my distance as the mentoring on the C25k knocked me back a back, that plus I was joining the C25k as a mentor coming off a six week lay off due to a stress fracture. I didn't want to go getting back to 10k distances and risking injury again.

I can highly recommend an app over doing it yourself and risking injury, burnout or simply getting bored.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'd suggest finding your nearest parkrun and join that - https://www.parkrun.ie

If you enjoy it you will most likely meet other runners locally who may suggest clubs to join or group runs.

You don't have to be able to run the full 5k so you can stop, walk a bit, run again when you get a second wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thanks all!

Well best of luck with it, and lets know how you're getting along in training for it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Well Vibey, how's it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'd suggest finding your nearest parkrun and join that - https://www.parkrun.ie

If you enjoy it you will most likely meet other runners locally who may suggest clubs to join or group runs.

You don't have to be able to run the full 5k so you can stop, walk a bit, run again when you get a second wind.

Or combine C25K and parkrun. There's no reason to prevent you from doing one of your C25K days on a saturday morning at parkrun. There's practically always run/walkers in the mix, so you won't be alone.

On my own cuz i have no mates :(

Ok right now i can run two miles. I plan to train everyday over the summer or at least six days a week.

Any tips?

OK just brought myself back to 5km, in the past month, after long injury.

5-6 times a week will halt you faster than anything. You will feel tired, over trained, sore etc. All things that will stop you heading out and more likely to quit.
    As a new runner you might get small injuries as you start training, until your body adjusts and over training here will knock you back weeks.

Bring it back to 3-4 sessions.
    Do not be afraid to walk mid session, recover some stamina, and start running again. Next time out you should notice that you can go slightly further before a walk.
    Do NOT get discouraged if you do worse the session after you do best. You pushed it that time and body is recovering.
    Track your gains over a week/fortnight and not session by session.

• Advertisement
Advertisement