Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When They See Us (Netflix)

• 01-06-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished episode 1. Can't remember seeing anything about this. Based/Inspired on the true story of the Central Park 5.
    It's got an 8.2/10 on IMDB and a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes (critics only, too soon for audience score I guess)

So many faces I recognise in the cast. Like:
    • Michael K. Williams - Omar from The Wire!
    • Vera Farmiga - Lots like Source Code and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I just saw her in Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
    • Famke Janssen - X-Men!
    • John Leguizamo - Lots like John Wick, Repo Men, Super Mario Bros. etc
    • William Sadler - Lots like The Shawshank Redemption, the Grim Reaper in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey etc
    There's probably more I'm just not remembering.

You can go into it blind but I just had to check the wiki which says:
    The series was inspired by the Central Park jogger case from 1989 in which a 28-year-old female jogger was attacked and raped in Central Park in New York City, leaving her in a coma for 12 days. Five juvenile males – four African-American and one Hispanic – were convicted of the crimes by juries in two separate trials in 1990. The convictions were subsequently vacated in 2002

So like I haven't spoiled myself on
    how they get convicted yet but like .. I'm not seeing an obvious path to it with so many holes in the story.
    Obviously I'm expecting it though.

Just watched the trailer. Looks like it gives away a chunk of the story:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Watched this on a flight home tonight, thought it was excellent.

Didn't see it advertised much by Netflix so it was a good surprise.

Worth a watch ! Excellent cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Damn that got heavy at the end.

Korey
    in that scene where he was being questioned.. looked like maybe he couldn't read. Maybe that will come back later.
    . Just noticed the actor is yer man from the film Moonlight:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7851611/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Just finished it there, so good. Really heavy at times but def worth a watch.

3: You know for a bit at the start, it looked to me like
    Raymond might start doing better than the others.. with the contrasting scene of him getting on well with the girl while Kevin was taking getting trashed by the other girl. Not to be.

Generally the episode felt like
    the System is stacked against them and it's luck of the draw about whether there'll be a social structure (like family) around to give support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m watching episode 4 now, it’s awful what happening to Cory and feel like it’s the hardest episode to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dav13579

Just watched it. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

finished it, very good....agreed with episode 4 being the toughest to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched all of this yesterday. Top five miniseries for me.
    It's based on a true story and from what I've read it's very close to the facts in the parts where they are not disputed.

I recommend to all as a must watch, story, cast, the way it's shot are all perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Learn to search before starting a New Thread? :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110334219

threads merged

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

corkie wrote:
    ^^^ Learn to search before starting a New Thread?
    I must have made an error in my search.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It hardly needs spoilers as it's a true story with widely available facts...

I wish the show would have confirmed whether they were involved in other crimes that were committed that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m watching episode 4 now, it’s awful what happening to Cory and feel like it’s the hardest episode to watch.

I'm cracking on to ep 4 tonight :(

I wish the show would have confirmed whether they were involved in other crimes that were committed that night.

Actually, that's a point, it didn't show any crimes (apart from the guy getting punched out) really, the people on the bikes were nearly knocked over by kids sauntering by, that's about it.

Also, one thing that kind of irked me, the court case. I know it's probably done for dramatic effect but as the facts are presented to the viewer, that case is a slam dunk acquittal, the guilty verdict comes from nowhere.

I don’t know is it as black and white as the show is showing, they didn’t rape that woman as confirmed by DNA but what were they doing in the park?

I don’t know is it as black and white as the show is showing, they didn’t rape that woman as confirmed by DNA but what were they doing in the park?

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/238071/central-park-five-still-guilty-jack-kerwick

Thanks for that but even that's very one sided in the other direction. No mention of blood on the suspects in the show? A lot of facts omitted for drama?

Well I don’t think we will ever know so as I read something else interesting about Corey wise and Reyes Meynes.

• Advertisement

I know this article is very one sided but on reflection the show is very one sided also.

https://townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/2018/07/25/central-park-rapists-trump-was-right-n2503894[/quote]

If some of those quotes are in fact true, it rubbishes this show completely.

• fin12 wrote: »

Flicking through that website is telling. I don't think it can be trusted tbh.

• Just finished the 2nd episode. Really picks up. I thought the first episode was ridiculous to be honest. The boys are so squeaky clean and the cops are pure evil. Maybe it happened like that but it doesn't feel real at all. Feels like propaganda.

Just finished the 2nd episode. Really picks up. I thought the first episode was ridiculous to be honest. The boys are so squeaky clean and the cops are pure evil. Maybe it happened like that but it doesn't feel real at all. Feels like propaganda.

That's what I didn't warm to. Hence the trail verdict is completely at odds with what the viewer has been presented. It's just a bit too one-sided and somewhat difficult to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

theteal wrote: »
    That's what I didn't warm to. Hence the trail verdict is completely at odds with what the viewer has been presented. It's just a bit too one-sided and somewhat difficult to believe.

Agreed, I don’t know how the jury found them guilty based on what we saw? There wasn’t a shred of evidence apart from coerced confessions.

Just finished.

Awe jeez I'm gonna need some recovery time after that last episode :(

During episode 3, I had thought it was a bit odd that we were told about
    Korey but didn't see him much.
    That was so sad and messed up. Everything went bad
    :(
    Jeez he got it hard. F*CK Though! When that last parole hearing came about I was saying F%ck the Parole but for a second it looked like he might have confessed. Then he hadn't and I was like YEAH! F*CK THEM ALL!

Excellent well made series. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheManthatsDan

There were about 40 of them in the park that night, a number of joggers and such were beaten unconscious and robbed, one person got smashed up with a metal pipe and nearly killed. But...they're not rapists, and had to deal with the stigma of that and probably still do. As well as Corey spending his youth in prison, that wasnt justice for the crimes that they were at least accessories to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I thought it was weird how the guard gave Korey a chance but suddenly turned against him because he got into a fight. There was just something off about it, like it was trying to prove some kind of point about how even the nicest of white people will turn their back on black people at the first sign of trouble.

The whole thing seems like propaganda. Another example is the way they tried to make the female cyclist look a whiny crybaby. Stupid woman with your white privilege. Just take your beating and stop complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Let's just clarify things here the websites linked here are Ann Coulter articles. Yes that Ann Coulter darling of the far right . Promoter of trump the very same trump who took out articles in the 80s to call for the death sentence on these teenagers.

I wouldn't take a word in them as fact nor the poster that posted them. It's gas when even the TV section of the forum gets polluted with this opinion nonsense. Or is it gas..... No let's go with Sad.

Advertisement