Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child allowance and Public Services Card

• 04-06-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all, this is my first pregnancy. Due in November.

Someone told me that I'll need to apply to get the Public Services Card in order to get child allowance once the baby is born.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how this all works? Am I right in thinking that I apply for and receive child allowance even though I work full-time?

Also, how do I apply for it and is it true that I need the public services card for this?

A quick summary of how it all works would be great, thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭claregal1

You fill out an application form and send it off to child Benefit section after your child is born - you don't get paid for the first month and you have a choice to either get it paid into the bank or a post office . If getting it paid into the Post office you will need a PSC to withdraw the money . Payment is made on the first Tuesday of the month . You can apply to get a PSC in your local welfare office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was in the same predicament last year. Everyone gets child benefit in Ireland so you are entitled but need the Public Service Card first. You need to bring ID and proof of address (although they never checked mine) to your social social welfare office, queue up, answer the questions (name, date of birth, PPS. etc.) and get your photo taken. They will post your card to you. When you get your child's birth cert their PPS number will be sent to you a few weeks later. Then you can apply for child benefit. You won't get it for the month they are born, so your first payment will be from December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you can book an appointment too

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks everyone. So I can apply for and get child benefit without the public services card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Thanks everyone. So I can apply for and get child benefit without the public services card?

To the best of my knowledge, that is correct.

However, as mentioned above, if you want to collect your child allowance from a post office rather than have it paid into your bank account, then you'll need to produce a PSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was under the impression that to recieve ANY social welfare payment, you needed a public services card.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/public_services_card.html

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

I had a look at citizens information and the two forms you need to submit for child allowance are CB1 and CB2 and neither mention the public services card. I think the government want people to apply for the PSC so generally encourage it and lead you to believe that you need it for everything but in reality, maybe not. If I can get the child allowance without the PSC, I will. I've nothing to hide but the PSC seems like another way for the government to obtain a lot of personal information about people and for me, it would be an unnecessary convenience getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you are having your baby in hospital then here’s what happens:
    If your baby is born in Ireland and you are not claiming for any other children, the Child Benefit Section will create a new claim and send you a partially completed claim form CB1 (pdf) for your signature and payment details. This form also includes information on how to claim for your new baby online. To apply online, you must have a Public Services Card and a verified MyGovID account. The baby is also given a Personal Public Service (PPS) number.
    There’s no need and it’s pointless your filling a CB application as one will be sent to you that only needs to be signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I had a look at citizens information and the two forms you need to submit for child allowance are CB1 and CB2 and neither mention the public services card. I think the government want people to apply for the PSC so generally encourage it and lead you to believe that you need it for everything but in reality, maybe not. If I can get the child allowance without the PSC, I will. I've nothing to hide but the PSC seems like another way for the government to obtain a lot of personal information about people and for me, it would be an unnecessary convenience getting it.

Obtaining a PSC, you are not giving them any extra information they don’t already have. Yes they do take your photo and capture your signature. They also check your ID and address.
    They are confirming information they already have and this is a benefit to you in years to come if you need to apply for a payment such as your pension.
    Also the tax office can ask you to get one if there is a discrepancy in your information such as an incorrect date of birth.

I got mine 5 years ago for child benefit. You can also register online with this card and you can check credits and stamps you have built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Eventually you’ll probably be called to go and get a PSC anyhow. I was called a number of years ago, and I was already having child benefit paid into the bank.
    You also have to have a PSC to apply for a drivers license now ( I don’t know if this applies to renewals, or just when applying for a new license or a license in a new category). I would imagine that it will be required more and more as time goes on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Kind of unrelated, but my husband had to have a PSC to get his paternity leave (by the way...point to note).It had to be applied for online (the paternity leave) and there were no other options.

On the other hand, he was told that if he had a new driving licence (ie a card one, not one of the old pink paper ones), he didn't need to go in amd make an appointment for the PS card, they could use his driving licence info.Took them a couple of weeks, but sure enough, the PSC turned up in the post once he confirmed this.Wonder could this apply for the PSC for child benefit?Ring them OP, and see can you get an answer.In general though, I found the appointment very quick and easy and the card came quickly.There is little or no point worrying about what info you are giving the government-they have it already, and they send you a form every year to confirm you are still in the country with your children if you are still claiming CB.They list each child and their PPSN, and ask you to give their doctor/school/creche contact details for each child, so the kids are being crosschecked by their PPSN anyway, they are registered with each of those places using their PPSN.

Quite honestly I am all for it.My first baby came in 2014.A few weeks after her birth, I was sent a claim form for Single Mother's benefit.I am married, but since baby was initially registered in my surname (due to emergency admittal at the hospital early in the pregnancy, where I wasn't thinking and just gave my maiden name), and the fact that I was being taxed as an individual, they must have assumed I was a single mother.It was an interesting insight into state services.....and also, I could have claimed fraudulently quite easily.They have stepped up their game a lot since then and seem to be finally sharing information properly between Revenue and Dept of Social Services etc, and I am all for it if it prevents fraud.Having past experience of the dole queue also, information sharing and use of a single card is an absolute no-brainer as far as I am concerned, and would make life so much more straightforward for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I dont get the issues with the Public card, as pointed out they get no more information about you that they do not already know.. And in fairness tis Ireland even if their was something to know dya think they would figure it out.. I got the card and didnt have to give any extra information and find it great, another ID card that works for numerous reasons

Advertisement