Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí find pistol & Silencer in Blanch.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I wonder if any have been?If so there is a challenge to legislation there on discrimination.

Doubt it.

Legislation prohibits the licensing of them so any license issued after November 2008 would be void/moot as soon as it was issued.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

tac foley wrote: »
    ?

Just messing, training police helicopter crews is not exactly a common experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

kowloon wrote: »
    Just messing, training police helicopter crews is not exactly a common experience.

True. By the end of 2000 over forty countries had sent their crews to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Talked to one of the regular lads in the Bullseye360 today.He has swopped his 40 cal for a 9mm Glock17,which he bought off a dealer in Kerry.He said many of the Kerry lads have done this swop with no problems ...Sofar. Took abit of explaining and some fumbling with his cheif up on the West coast someplace:)...But he has it...I'll still hold fire until 3 years time and see if they get granted with no problems.Or will there be utter chaos?:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Considering that every 3 years its a new application and not a renewal anymore, is that not technically a new licence every 3 years which goes against the no new CF pistol licences post 2009.
    If substitutions are allowed of which I would be hopeful but surprised if that was the case, if I was those lads I would be hanging on to my old pistol just in case the Chief turned around and said no. It could be just yet another under handed tactic to remove them from private ownership.
    If substitution was allowed does that mean a person could apply for a CF pistol licence, one was held before 2009 but that particular firearm was destroyed. Could a pre 2009 licence be used as no current one is available.
    Have those lads long left on their current licenses

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

They are just protecting their various revenue streams. We would all do the same.

solarwinds wrote: »
    Considering that every 3 years its a new application and not a renewal anymore, is that not technically a new licence every 3 years which goes against the no new CF pistol licences post 2009.
    If substitutions are allowed of which I would be hopeful but surprised if that was the case, if I was those lads I would be hanging on to my old pistol just in case the Chief turned around and said no. It could be just yet another under handed tactic to remove them from private ownership.
    If substitution was allowed does that mean a person could apply for a CF pistol licence, one was held before 2009 but that particular firearm was destroyed. Could a pre 2009 licence be used as no current one is available.

Not really as pre 2008 owned pistols are precluded by the act .It could indeed be some trick,hence I said Ill wait and see what happens in the near future with those who are re applying.
    As for the rest...No idea...Would be only speculating on my part.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rifter

Not really as pre 2008 owned pistols are precluded by the act .It could indeed be some trick,hence I said Ill wait and see what happens in the near future with those who are re applying.
    As for the rest...No idea...Would be only speculating on my part.

Just throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, would that act not be open for challenge? Or would you be on a hiding to nothing, surely just setting an arbitrary date and saying everyone before 2008 is of good enough character and post are not!!

IT's like many laws here,it falls into a" VRT action".Sure the Govt charging VAT under a different name as VRT is illegal under EU law,but have you the legal team and money to take it to the EU courts,after you have gone thru the whole charade in the Irish courts?And then wit a few years for a result? And if you have that kind of money,are you really arsed on paying a few hundred quid more on an import?
    Same with this here.I'd cetainly tip my hat to anyone that does and you have my 1000% support,but if I had that sort of cash,I wouldnt be living here or be going shooting here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rifter

IT's like many laws here,it falls into a" VRT action".Sure the Govt charging VAT under a different name as VRT is illegal under EU law,but have you the legal team and money to take it to the EU courts,after you have gone thru the whole charade in the Irish courts?And then wit a few years for a result? And if you have that kind of money,are you really arsed on paying a few hundred quid more on an import?
    Same with this here.I'd cetainly tip my hat to anyone that does and you have my 1000% support,but if I had that sort of cash,I wouldnt be living here or be going shooting here either.

To be fair if I had that money id feel the same way, and Id imagine they'd just move the goalposts even if someone was successfull in challenging it.

• Advertisement

solarwinds wrote: »
    No because the 2009 act says if you held the license for that firearm, and only that one, prior to November 2008 you may re-apply, but after Nov. 2008 no new licenses will be issued.
    If substitutions are allowed
    They're not or more accurately its going to come back and bite them in the ass, in my opinion.
    ..............if I was those lads I would be hanging on to my old pistol just in case the Chief turned around and said no.
    Yup.
    It could be just yet another under handed tactic to remove them from private ownership.
    In this instance i don't think so. The AGS/DoJ did not start this, our own organisations did. They are the ones that said it could be done. The fact it plays into the agenda of removing all pistols is just an added bonus for the PTB.
    If substitution was allowed does that mean a person could apply for a CF pistol licence, one was held before 2009 but that particular firearm was destroyed.
    Is the license for the one destroyed still current and kept renewed each licensing period? If not then i'd say no.
    Could a pre 2009 licence be used as no current one is available.
    If the license is current and valid, possibly, but like Grizz i'll keep my powder dry to see what happens in a couple of years.
    That is the question, isn't it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Rifter wrote: »
    Just throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, would that act not be open for challenge?
    On what basis? The Act and subsequent (including pre 2008) SIs prevent the substituting of restricted firearms.
    Or would you be on a hiding to nothing,
    Possibly not with the sub, but with the re-application/renewal when the current license expires, i'd imagine so.
    surely just setting an arbitrary date and saying everyone before 2008 is of good enough character and post are not!!
    It wasn't actually arbitrary.

It was immediately after the murder of Shane Geoghahan when the Minister made a statement in the Dail declaring his intent which when the new 2009 Act came into being was applied retrospectively to the date of his statement. That being November 2008.

Rifter wrote: »
    To be fair if I had that money id feel the same way, and Id imagine they'd just move the goalposts even if someone was successful in challenging it.
    Look at New York.

There is currently a Supreme Court challenge to some of the State's gun laws. New York legislators have got wind that the verdict is not going to go their way so they are planning on changing the law, just a little, so that when the verdict comes in regardless of the decision it won't affect the law as it's been changed just enough to not be the one that was challenged.

So as Grizz said even if someone took the time, money and effort, which i'm sure they'd win, the fines imposed by the EU for the charging of VRT is so small in comparison the the revenue it generates that the Irish Gov. will keep applying it.

Yet another reason to get shot of this EU pipe dream. We're being charged taxes, duties illegally as it is so why be in an open and free trade area when we don't benefit.

Seems to be the same argument used by the BREXITeers.......

For focus 1.5 Diesel St Line. In the Uk its £19,200 (€21,500). Ireland, the exact same car starts at €25,000. You buy pre-registered ones, which include on the road prices for €24,500).

BMW 3 series entry level model (318D SE). UK price is £32,000 (€36,100). In Ireland they start at €43,000.

BMW 330, top of the range model. In the UK it's £39,000 (€44,000) and here it starts at €52,000.

Where does the other €3,000, €7,000, and €8,000 additional cost come from? From what used to be called import duty and is now called VRT. So it costs €8,000 to register a car in Ireland.

Even looking at importing and paying your duty as i did this recently for a fmaily member. It was a nearly new (2017) Insignia VXR. Just by changing the wheels size from 18" to 20" on the revenue calculator and the price shoots up by thousands. So tell me why something costs 2 grand more because the wheels are 2" bigger?

Same with older cars. You'll pay as much if not more than the car is worth in "duty" if the car comes with extras such as CD player, Sat-Nav, larger wheels, etc, etc. I mean a lot more.

By the way cars is just the tip of the Iceberg.

Ireland has it's budget "okay-ed" by Germany/EU. We paid back the bondholders to the tune of billions, bailed out he banks by borrowing huge sums of cash from Europe because they told us to do so, and the leader of FF said that Sovereignty is an outdated notion and backward thinking.

We are in the midst of the worst housing crisis ever but our politicians are fudging the numbers so as not to declare an emergency but at the same time they declare a climate emergency as an excuse to raise taxes and introduce more carbon taxes. Our health system is in shambles, and we are rocked by scandal after scandal from within our Government and police force and the perpetrators of it are not only free to do as they wish, but set up with cushy EU jobs that will add hundreds of thousands of Euro to their already substantial pensions.

Ireland has lost its way. Within 100 years of gaining our independence we have voluntarily surrendered it to a super state of unelected leaders that dictate the rose coloured world politics they want instead of what is happening.

Welcome to the EU.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those tin foil hat wearing, EDL supporting, Doc Marten/Bomber jacket wearing, conspiracy nuts that hates anything EU because it's the EU.

We [citizens] don't seem to get the full benefit of being EU members but do get most of the bills.

Cass wrote: »

Ireland has it's budget "okay-ed" by Germany/EU. We paid back the bondholders to the tune of billions, bailed out he banks by borrowing huge sums of cash from Europe because they told us to do so, and the leader of FF said that Sovereignty is an outdated notion and backward thinking.

We are in the midst of the worst housing crisis ever but our politicians are fudging the numbers so as not to declare an emergency but at the same time they declare a climate emergency as an excuse to raise taxes and introduce more carbon taxes. Our health system is in shambles, and we are rocked by scandal after scandal from within our Government and police force and the perpetrators of it are not only free to do as they wish, but set up with cushy EU jobs that will add hundreds of thousands of Euro to their already substantial pensions.

Ireland has lost its way. Within 100 years of gaining our independence we have voluntarily surrendered it to a super state of unelected leaders that dictate the rose coloured world politics they want instead of what is happening.

Yet Mehole Martin and his tribe will bellow on about the proud Republicanism tradition and freedom ,and the men and women of 1916...Blah,blah,blah. If the signatories of the proclimation could be alive again.They'd proably call the whole thing off and say why bother?

James Connolly was damn right on the whole thing,[and there is little I agree with on Commies].From holding onto our guns,to Ireland swopping the tryanny of the Crown for that of the Harp,and then for the star cluster of the EU.:mad:

We have been sold out by a bunch of glorified county councillors,the majority seem to have been school teachers who leave all the "big decisions" to Europe,so they are never held responsible,while trousering checks and anything else they can get thier paws on.:mad:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those tin foil hat wearing, EDL supporting, Doc Marten/Bomber jacket wearing, conspiracy nuts that hates anything EU because it's the EU.

We [citizens] don't seem to get the full benefit of being EU members but do get most of the bills.

Wearing tinfoil hats only will increase the radio signals.:D:D It's why us old timers used to put tinfoi strips on our old indoor "rabbit ears" B&W portable tellies back when I were a lad in the 70's and 80's.:) You need somthing like lead to stop radio signals...Well at least your hat wont fly off in a high wind.:p

• Advertisement

Wearing tinfoil hats only will increase the radio signals.:D:D It's why us old timers used to put tinfoi strips on our old indoor "rabbit ears" B&W portable tellies back when I were a lad in the 70's and 80's.:) You need somthing like lead to stop radio signals...Well at least your hat wont fly off in a high wind.:p

You need a hat that works as a faraday cage for the right wavelengths but let the positive waves in, that's why we Pastafarians wear a colanders on our heads.

nevadalicense.jpg

I thought that was the traditional headwear of the followers of his flying noodleleness?

I thought that was the traditional headwear of the followers of his flying noodleleness?

It is traditional, but also practical. Not so much for rain.

Silence when you mention his name aloud!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

The Irish are either very blinkered or very thick (i'm leaning towards the second option, national stereotype and all that). Ask anyone here, people at work or relations or whatever about the eu, and they will tell you its the best thing since sliced bread. There were three people in my area who were euro-sceptic standing to be elected as mep's. The votes they got were pathetic. Personally i think if the eu doesn't change very quickly for the better, the italians or the french or some of the eastern european countries, who refused to take their quota of refugees, will sink it.

Look into the whole Bilderberg thing and maybe a tinfoil hat might be wise. How many Irish head to it ? Quite a few, whats discussed ? What deals are done ? Why is it secret ? No one is told, yet i think coveney was there with peter sutherland while being paid by the irish taxpayer, so we have some right to know.

Yet Mehole Martin and his tribe will bellow on about the proud Republicanism tradition and freedom ,and the men and women of 1916...Blah,blah,blah. If the signatories of the proclimation could be alive again.They'd proably call the whole thing off and say why bother?

I have to agree, we have simply swapped the union flag for that blue rag with stars on it. Our parliament is a toothless joke, just like the irish parliament was until the act of union, instead of London, its now Brussels that rules us, the parallel is exact as Sherlock Holmes said.

Advertisement